Scaling weapons with reach; the dastana & chahar-aina

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Hopefully these are clear and simple to make answering easy and pleasurable!
(Tee hee!)

1. Does a large weapon with reach (for example, a glaive) retain or lose reach when it is scaled down to size: medium for small characters to use?

2. Does a medium weapon with reach (for example, a heavy lance) retain or lose reach when it is scaled down to size: small for small characters to use?

3. Can spikes be added to a chahar-aina or dastana? If so, what are the secondary effects (i.e. are they treated as armor spikes, shield spikes, or something else)? I have ruled:

"The dastana and chahar-aina must be treated using the shield spike costs (+10 GP, +5 lbs) or they reduce the effectiveness of armor spikes on the armor worn underneath. This expense does not reduce the cost of adding spikes to the armor underneath. They do not turn the dastana or chahar-aina into a martial weapon - their ability to stack balances that ability."

4. Can the chahar-aina and dastana stack with each other? The FAQ seems to imply they can. ("You can use dastana and chahar-aina (or both)...") I have ruled they can be.

5. Does the chahar-aina count as medium armor, or is Medium Armor Proficiency merely a prerequisite for its effective use? I am specifically checking to see if it affects abilities that require the user be in a type of armor in order for the ability to be used.

6. Does the dastana count as light armor, or is Light Armor Proficiency merely a prerequisite for its effective use? I am specifically checking to see if it affects abilities that require the user be in a type of armor in order for the ability to be used.

Thanks!

- Ketjak

EDIT: removed asterisks that no longer apply.

Last edited:

melkoriii

First Post
I would say you keep the reach.

You can make a lighter smaller lance that still reaches 10' but doese less damage and when scailing you do just that.

THere is no rule that says you lose any abilitys of a weapon when scailing it in size. only who can use it and how much damage it doses.

Wolf72

Explorer
4. Can the chahar-aina and dastana stack with each other? The FAQ seems to imply they can. ("You can use dastana and chahar-aina (or both)...") I have ruled they can be.

Yup, so a chain shirt with both of those would be +6 to AC. If they are enhanced then only the more powerful enhancement works. a +1 chain shirt, +2 chahar-aina, and +3 dastana would only grant a +3 enhancement bonus ... all the other stuff still might work ... (so far +6 armor, +3 enhancement) ... could have different resistances, shadows, silent moves, fortification, .... all on different pieces.

I think this was in the latest issue of Dragon (the one with mostly OA sage advice)

5 & 6: it doesn't say that they are armor, but you do need the appropiate proficiency and do suffer ACP if you do not have that prof ... just like armor. I think it's a moot point as the req's and drawbacks are exactly the same.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Wolf72 said:
5 & 6: it doesn't say that they are armor, but you do need the appropiate proficiency and do suffer ACP if you do not have that prof ... just like armor. I think it's a moot point as the req's and drawbacks are exactly the same.

Not exactly - a ranger using medium armor can no longer use his virtual Two-Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity. That's primarily why I want to know if the chahar-aina counts. I don't think that it does, but I'd like to be sure.

- Ketjak

Wolf72

Explorer
Ketjak said:

Not exactly - a ranger using medium armor can no longer use his virtual Two-Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity. That's primarily why I want to know if the chahar-aina counts. I don't think that it does, but I'd like to be sure.

- Ketjak

hmm, I would say: no it does not. (well I could go either way on this one)

if it were they could have easily put in: this counts as medium armor, as it reads now you just need the Med armor feat to use it properly (or a mithral version)

Remove ads