Schools of thought--Where we all stand on the big questions

Ycore Rixle

First Post
High magic (FR) V. Medium Magic (GH, 1e) V. Low magic (Conan) settings

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels as long as they're really, really, awesomely good novels, like Heinlein/Tolkien type stuff (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. I only really need and use one.

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death. ??? Neither. This question almost made me stop taking the quiz.

Tabletop grid and dry erase V. No grid

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Modules because why not have them, then you can make stuff up and use modules too V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Magic item stores V. No magic item stores.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Laptop for the DM at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Laptop for players at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Mood music while playing v. None

Sound effects while playing v. None

Boxed sets V. Hardcover books

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Non-weapon proficiencies V. Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

Kits V. Prestige classes V. Neither

Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Feats V. Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees V. I already said no feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities. Sorry, both.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Roleplaying social encoutners and then, based on the roleplay, rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

Describing exactly how you are searching and then rolling for the results V. Just rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill V. Character abilities Sorry, both.

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. We don’t use CR. ?? in editions besides 3rd?

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: the setting material in the CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep adventure Greyhawk, After the Ashes.

I debated whether or not to put this last one in because of its chances of leading to an edition war, but I figured it would be interesting to know the edition you prefer, after we know all your other main gaming preferences. Lets try it and please keep it civil, no edition war crap.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster V. Spellbound Kingdoms

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

Define in one PARAGRAPH what Hit Points represent in your gaming world.

Physical damage, fatigue, luck, skill in combat, fate, and anything else that can bring down, or keep up, a creature. (NB That's in my D&D world. In other worlds and systems, there might be no hit points.)

Serendipity

Explorer

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

No novels, not ever.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Modules V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

After hacking said module up to make it fit my game, my players, and my world. They are great time savers freeing me up to prep in other ways

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Modding APs to fit is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Depends on the campaign world.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

Rolls are made, results modded by the RP.

Describing exactly how you are searching V. Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill V. Character abilities

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Game balance is a means to an end, not an end to itself.

Save or die, life’s a bitch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. We don’t use CR.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

Two words: Story Awards

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Published settings? The official Traveller Universe...but for D&D? Planescape and Gygaxian Greyhawk

Chainmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Third Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

I Refuse to pick. I love them all.

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Greyhawk, Mysterious Places

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

Define in one PARAGRAPH what Hit Points represent in your gaming world. An abstract concept comprised of skill, health, and luck

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Schools of Thought:

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures but there are exceptions

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero - Abstain; I don't think D&D supports a true 'superheroic' mode.

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese... -- Abstain.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill. Abstain. XP should be gained for solving the problem or meeting a goal, regardless of how that is brought about.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) [I honestly don't think I have one]

I debated whether or not to put this last one in because of its chances of leading to an edition war, but I figured it would be interesting to know the edition you prefer, after we know all your other main gaming preferences. Lets try it and please keep it civil, no edition war crap.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

[
Hit points are a fluid thing, and hit points for minions or NPCs are not nessesarily the same thing they are for PCs. Hit points for PCs might be seen as more of an indication of how well they're doing over all. Losing 10 points of 20 for a PC might be several small wounds. The same for a PC probably means he's lost an arm or something.
]

Looking forward to reading your responses. Especially since it took me like 2 hours of thought and typing to get this thing posted.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
Schools of Thought:

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank)
Ravenloft

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

HP is an abstract system of monitoring a character's damage. But a hit that causes HP loss is a physical hit, e.g. a stabbing sword, an arrow in the leg, or blunt force trauma to the face with a maul. At full HP a character is undamaged, and at half HP they are battered, cut, and bruised. To demonstrate physical exertion - which is separate in my games - there are fatigue mechanics.

Schools of Thought

[ ] High magic (FR)
[ ] Medium Magic (GH, 1e)
[ ] Low magic (Conan) settings

[ ] Home made settings V.
[ ] Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk)
[ ] Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

[ ] Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness)
[ ] Settings and novels being separate.

[ ] Low level games (1-10)
[ ] Mid level games (10-20)
[ ] High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

[ ] Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.)
[ ] Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

[ ] Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in
[ ] I only really need and use one.

[ ] Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy)
[ ] Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

[ ] Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared
[ ] Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

[ ] Tabletop grid and dry erase
[ ] No grid

[ ] Miniatures
[ ] No miniatures
[ ] Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

[ ] Tiles
[ ] No tiles

[ ] 3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. )
[ ] No structures

[ ] Modules
[ ] I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

[ ] Adventure paths
[ ] standalone modules
[ ] Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

[ ] Lots of Houserules
[ ] Moderate houserules
[ ] We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

[ ] Magic item stores
[ ] No magic item stores.

[ ] Roll play
[ ] Role play

[ ] PDF magazines
[ ] Paper magazines

[ ] PDF core rules
[ ] Paper core rules

[ ] PDF modules
[ ] Paper modules

[ ] PDF supplements
[ ] Paper supplements

[ ] Laptop for the DM at the gaming table
[ ] Pen and paper

[ ] Laptop for players at the gaming table
[ ] Pen and paper

[ ] Mood music while playing
[ ] NONE

[ ] Sound effects while playing
[ ] None

[ ] Boxed sets
[ ] Hardcover books

[ ] Gygaxian
[ ] Non-Gygaxian

[ ] Non-weapon proficiencies
[ ] Skills
[ ] Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

[ ] Kits
[ ] Prestige classes
[ ] Neither

[ ] Core classes
[ ] Kits and/or prestige classes

[ ] Feats
[ ] No feats

[ ] Class based system
[ ] No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

[ ] Feats
[ ] Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees
[ ] I already said no feats

[ ] Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc.
[ ] Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

[ ] Detailed world politics and economies
[ ] Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

[ ] Rolling for social interaction results
[ ] Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

[ ] Describing exactly how you are searching
[ ] Rolling a d20 for search results

[ ] DM Rulings
[ ] Rules

[ ] Player skill
[ ] Character abilities

[ ] Heroic
[ ] Superhero

[ ] Game balanced encounters
[ ] The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

[ ] Save or die, life’s a bittch
[ ] Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

[ ] Classes balanced against each other per level
[ ] Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

[ ] Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking
[ ] He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

[ ] Every character being able to do something every round of combat
[ ] Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing

[ ] Combat-centric/focused/driven
[ ] Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

[ ] Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge
[ ] Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

[ ] We use CR
[ ] We don’t use CR.

[ ] XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted
[ ] Nope, just for the kill.

[ ] We use an XP system
[ ] The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

[ ] 10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells
[ ] My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

[ ] Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle
[ ] The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is:
[FILL IN]

[ ] Chanmail
[ ] OD&D
[ ] Holmes D&D
[ ] AD&D
[ ] Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D
[ ] Rules Cyclopedia D&D
[ ] Second Edition
[ ] Third Edition (3.0)
[ ] Revised Third Edition (3.5)
[ ] Fourth Edition
[ ] Castles and Crusades
[ ] Savage Worlds
[ ] OSRIC
[ ] True20
[ ] Mutands and Masterminds
[ ] Pathfinder
[ ] Basic RPG
[ ] Gurps
[ ] Hackmaster
[ ] Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved
[ ] Rolemaster

[FILL IN]

Looking forward to reading your responses. Especially since it took me like 2 hours of

thought and typing to get this thing posted.
It took me 15 minutes to make a list that looks a little more usable to me. :)

Last edited:

[sblock=My Reply]
[X] High magic (FR)
[XX] Medium Magic (GH, 1e)
[X] Low magic (Conan) settings
I have no real preferences. I like it all. Maybe a moderate level is a little nicer. ;)

[X] Home made settings
[X] Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk)
[ ] Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).
No over detailing. I want my free space.

[ ] Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness)
[X] Settings and novels being separate.
I hate having to keep up with setting canon.

[ ] Low level games (1-10)
[X] Mid level games (10-20)
[X] High level games (20-30+) are my favorite
I prefer playing at higher levels usually. You've got more options, and more interesting stories to tell, I think.

[X] Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.)
[ ] Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)
I don't want some arbritrary bonuses handed out by the DM, nor do I as the DM want to hand out such bonuses. The rules should provide... well, rules for that. Or at least some decent guidelines. I am fine with people describing actions in crazy manners and in end just rolling the same dice as for a regular attack. ;)

[X] Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in
[ ] I only really need and use one.

[X] Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy)
[ ] Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)
Critical are to random to have any crazy effects in my opinion. (At least in D&D. Not every game shares this definition of Criticals - see Warhammer 2e)

[ ] Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared
[X] Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.
Well, actually that applied to pre-4E wizards. 4E wizards ought to be feared and are not unbalanced.

[X] Tabletop grid and dry erase
[ ] No grid
I also like no-grid games. But if you do that, I want some other way to create tactical complexity in fights. Be it combining different types of damage or conditions to the enemy or something else.

[X] Miniatures
[ ] No miniatures
[ ] Miniatures only for the complicated stuff.

[X] Tiles
[ ] No tiles
Tiles are nice. I'd just prefer if they were faster to set up ;)

[ ] 3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. )
[X] No structures
Sorry, too much work. Ask me again if we're speaking about Virtual Gametables.

[X] Modules
[X] I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures
Both. I like creating my own adventures, but I don't alway have the time or creativity.

[X] Adventure paths
[ ] standalone modules
[ ] Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures
I like ongoing storylines, and adventure paths are the best way to do that.

[ ] Lots of Houserules
[ ] Moderate houserules
[X] We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.
Why should I pay for rules if I don't use them anyway in the end? If the rules don't work, they will be house-ruled. or we just ignore the entire system!

[X] Magic item stores
[X] No magic item stores.
Can go either way.

[X] Roll play
[ ] Role play
Just to be a contrarian. What I mean by this - I like stats to enter into anything that needs to be "resolved". Drinking with the party at the tavern doesn't require a roll. Convincing the king to lend us his troops demands a roll unless the circumstances make any other decision illogical.

[X] PDF magazines
[ ] Paper magazines

[X] PDF core rules
[X] Paper core rules
I like to have both.

[ ] PDF modules
[X] Paper modules
I don't like using my laptop at the table.

[ ] PDF supplements
[X] Paper supplements

[ ] Laptop for the DM at the gaming table
[X] Pen and paper
Laptop will be used at home, not at the game table.

[ ] Laptop for players at the gaming table
[X] Pen and paper

[ ] Mood music while playing[/COLOR]
[X] NONE
More out of necessity then desire. Thanks to our two resident smokers, CD players don't seem to survive too long. :(

[ ] Sound effects while playing
[X] None

[ ] Boxed sets
[X] Hardcover books

[ ] Gygaxian
[X] Non-Gygaxian

[ ] Non-weapon proficiencies
[X] Skills
[ ] Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

[ ] Kits
[ ] Prestige classes
[X] Neither
Paragon Paths, Epic Destinies, Bloodlines.

[X] Core classes
[ ] Kits and/or prestige classes

[X] Feats
[ ] No feats

[X] Class based system
[ ] No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.
I still have a certain love for non-classed system, but I think balance is a bitch.

[X] Feats
[ ] Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees
[ ] I already said no feats

[ ] Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc.
[X] Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

[ ] Detailed world politics and economies
[X] Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.
Well, a little to extreme perhaps, but certainly not too many details either. Only as much as is required to entertain the players and the DM and get the story move forward.

[X] Rolling for social interaction results
[ ] Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.
Describing your goals is important, but I don't want to require any rhetoric masterpieces from my players, nor do I like them to be asked of me.

[ ] Describing exactly how you are searching
[X] Rolling a d20 for search results
Describing can be a fallback.

[ ] DM Rulings
[X] Rules

[X] Player skill
[X] Character abilities
Player Skill like "I look under the bed mattress" I don't care for much. Player skill like: "When I bullrush the enemy here, the Wizard can catch all enemies in his Fireball" - great thing. I like that.
- It is really the character you play affecting the story outcome
- The player shows skill in using his character abilities.

[X] Heroic
[X] Superhero
Hey, that depends on what I play!

[X] Game balanced encounters
[X] The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.
No Orcus popping out behind a door opened by a 3rd level Wizard, unless there has been enough hints that Orcus might be behind that door.

[ ] Save or die, life’s a bittch
[X] Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

[X] Classes balanced against each other per level
[ ] Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

[X] Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking
[ ] He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.
If the thief doesn't want to enter combat, he should stay in the city and keep being a pick-pocket!

[X] Every character being able to do something every round of combat
[ ] Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing

[X] Combat-centric/focused/driven
[ ] Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven
Intrigue and Politics are important for the game, but in the end they will always serve to me as a new reason to enter combat. ;) I'd make an exception if you have "Intrigue" rules that are as interesting as combat.

[X] Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge
[ ] Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...
If I can be assumed to win, just let me win and don't let me go through the motions.

[X] We use CR
[ ] We don’t use CR.
Well, actually we use monster levels these day.

[ ] XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted
[X] Nope, just for the kill.
Actually, XP should be gained for fulfilling objectives - kill enemies, rescue the princess, doesn't matter.

[X] We use an XP system
[ ] The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

[ ] 10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells
[ ] My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.
The cape is 3d6 these days, and we like it.

[ ] Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle
[X] The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.
Exception: You have a solid mass-combat system.

My favorite setting of all time is:
Diamond Throne and Eberron. But I like this generic implied "POL" setting a lot, too.

[ ] Chanmail
[ ] OD&D
[ ] Holmes D&D
[ ] AD&D
[ ] Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D
[ ] Rules Cyclopedia D&D
[ ] Second Edition
[ ] Third Edition (3.0)
[X] Revised Third Edition (3.5)
[XXXXXX] Fourth Edition
[ ] Castles and Crusades
[ ] Savage Worlds
[ ] OSRIC
[ ] True20
[ ] Mutands and Masterminds
[ ] Pathfinder
[ ] Basic RPG
[ ] Gurps
[ ] Hackmaster
[X] Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved
[ ] Rolemaster

They don't really represent anything in the game, except your ability to stay in combat. I might generally describe "bloodied" and "below 0" hit points with injuries, but that doesn't have to mean they actually are serious or anything.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Schools of Thought:

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate V. Don't care about novels at all.

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. I only really need and use one. <----- Multiple worlds = more to steal from for homebrewing.

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon) <----- Both, but the math should be derived from/support the narrative

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures <----- Exceptions apply. 3d Structures for set pieces can be very cool; setup/takedown for every encounter is not so cool.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper <-----Easier to modify & print.

PDF supplements v. Paper

Mood music while playing v. ]None <-----with exceptions.

Sound effects while playing v. None <-----with exceptions.

Boxed sets V. Hardcover books <----with exceptions.

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Kits V. Prestige classes V. Neither V. Either

Feats V. No feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities. <----- with exceptions.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it. V. Rolling for social interaction results, where the result of the roll colours the GM's presentation of the interaction, which you must then glean on your own.

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven V. An equal share of both

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill. V. ]XP should be gained for GP squandered (not used to improve character) at a rate of 10 gp = 1 XP

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome. <---- Both, as appropriate.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Original Forgotten Realms Boxed Set.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster V. RCFG

RC

Last edited:

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper V. HTML core rules

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill V. Overcoming obstacles which may or may not involve gold or killing

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Planescape

Basically your ability to keep going. Hit point damage is actual physical damage, but the pool of hit points represents ho wmuch that damage is minimized. So having a lot of hit points means that you can not only take more hits than some newbie (compare any action movie star with their sidekick), but also your ability to make those hits do less (so a single sword hit would probably kill an ordinary person, but you can twist just right so that it freaking hurts, but misses your vital organs, for example), as well as pure stamina to keep taking and avoiding these hits.

avin

First Post
Schools of Thought:

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures (I wish I have trees...)

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero (where's No Heroes?)

My favorite setting of all time is: Planescape

Remove ads