Schools of thought--Where we all stand on the big questions

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
So far as I can tell, here are most of the various schools of thought for D&D and how I weigh in on them. Feel free to add more schools of thought if I missed any. Don't add any other options to each one though, as it wouldn't be fair to people who already posted responses.

Copy/paste the various schools of thought and change text color to let us know where you stand. Mine preferences are in green.

I know that there is going to be a lot of "Well, I like both this and that, sometimes it depends on XYZ, my group does one thing but I would prefer another, " etc.

I want your preference. Not what you do, not what you wish you could do, not what you used to do, not what you do with one group and not the other, not what you do depending on your mood, or the phases of the moon.

If you had to pick one, just one, only one, and one only, that you had to do for the rest of your life, regardless of all other factors that might make you wishy-washy about actually making a decision and picking only one, what would it be? No such thing as "E. all of the above" in this one.

Schools of Thought:

High magic (FR) V. Medium Magic (GH, 1e) V. Low magic (Conan) settings

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. I only really need and use one.

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tabletop grid and dry erase V. No grid

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Modules V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Magic item stores V. No magic item stores.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Laptop for the DM at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Laptop for players at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Mood music while playing v. None

Sound effects while playing v. None

Boxed sets V. Hardcover books

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Non-weapon proficiencies V. Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

Kits V. Prestige classes V. Neither

Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Feats V. Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees V. I already said no feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

Describing exactly how you are searching V. Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill V. Character abilities

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. We don’t use CR.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Greyhawk, After the Ashes.

I debated whether or not to put this last one in because of its chances of leading to an edition war, but I figured it would be interesting to know the edition you prefer, after we know all your other main gaming preferences. Lets try it and please keep it civil, no edition war crap.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

Define in one PARAGRAPH what Hit Points represent in your gaming world.

A combination of a level of damage dealt to the body and ability to avoid that damage. The more HP a character has the better he is at making what would have been a death dealing blow, less than death dealing. He twists, turns, contorts, and defends in a learned skillful way, so that even if he takes damage, he minimizes the amount he takes. Zero = unconscious, -10 = death, full = perfect health.

Looking forward to reading your responses. Especially since it took me like 2 hours of thought and typing to get this thing posted.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy)
V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Mine, which includes just about every setting I have ever bought.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

I was bored to begin with, so this helped pass the time.

Last edited:

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
You need an editor. I started and got bored.

yeah i wasnt sure how this would go over. at first it was just a list for myself and my gaming group. then i figured what the hell, others might be interested, so i was gonna post it here and ask for more ideas. then i figured heck, may as well make it into some informal poll of sorts.

then when i saw how big the final thing was, i figured it was too long, but what the hell, may as well post it anyhow. maybe a couple people will respond, or will use it for some other purpose.

anyhow, thx for at least attempting it.

Jack99

Adventurer
I did the thing, but some of these "choices" seem to be affected by a certain disdain for some editions. Either way, things are not always as black and white :) It was fun though.

Schools of Thought:

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy)
V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

My favorite setting of all time is: Planescape

Schools of Thought(comments in red):

On the low end of high magic

Do you mean the planes, or multiple settings? I answered assuming you meant the planes

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

I'm not a big fan of criticals in general, but that wasn't a choice. 4E's criticals are the least offensive I've seen

After the travesty of 3E spellcasting, Nerf is an understatement. That being said, I never had an issue with spellcasters in AD&D

Tiles V. No tiles

I find I only have the time to make an adventure for one game per week, and I run multiple games. For the second and occasional third games, I prefer standalone modules to adventure paths

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Laptop(or desktop) for the DM away from the game table, OMG F*** yeah!

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Used to be a fan of Gygaxian, but then it got old. I also started liking things like Lone Wolf and Cub and Vampire Hunter D.

4E skills. I prefer winging it or NWPs to 3E skills.

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Though as a DM, I am a rules master who has the system all but memorized, so they are almost the same thing. When in doubt though, its DM Rulings.

Heroic V. Superhero

I prefer more of a mix, but I find that the combat side makes more demands of the game system, and with the right players and DM the Roleplay side will take care of itself.

But the 4E XP budget is a thing of beauty and boy howdy do I use that.

This one is an AD&D only mindset. That being said, I prefer being able to give XP for things other than the kill, though generally not GP.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Exalted

I debated whether or not to put this last one in because of its chances of leading to an edition war, but I figured it would be interesting to know the edition you prefer, after we know all your other main gaming preferences. Lets try it and please keep it civil, no edition war crap.

Honorable mention would go to Second Edition, BECM, and I had some good years with Rolemaster of all things.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I did the thing, but some of these "choices" seem to be affected by a certain disdain for some editions. Either way, things are not always as black and white :) It was fun though.

Well, I tend towards older style of play, so I figured some of that would come through in the way I phrased the options. I tried to keep it as neutral as I could though, except for the humorous way I worded some of the options. Even those I tried to balance on both sides. I specifically didn't get into 4e stuff, mostly because I never played it and don't know it well enough to ask intelligent questions based on its facets. Also, because I didn't want to get into an edition war.

The only questions I can think of which 4e raised that the other editions didn't were:

"Classes being designed with defined roles in mind V. I'll define my own role."

"Healing surges V. No healing surges"

"Wizards having a boatload of utility spells V. Wizard spells based around combat mostly."

The only question I wished I added was an open ended one:

"Define in one sentence what Hit Points represent in your gaming world."

As I was re-reading this and your answers though, I was thinking, this is sort of like a D&D player's psychological profile. Though what, if anything can be gleaned from it, I'll leave to someone smarter than me.

Derren

Hero

Criticals should be described, but there also needs to be a mathematical effect.

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

No idea what that means

Feats V. No feats

No role playing -> No skill check.
Good role playing -> Bonus to skill check

See above

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

(And other things)
We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels. V.We hand out XP after quests and combat according to gut feeling

No idea what that means

My favorite setting of all time is: (blank) Greyhawk, After the Ashes.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster V. The Dark Eye

Last edited:

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
What's become interesting, my little game, is reading through these and trying to predict the edition and favorite setting based on the answers already given. :)

I went back and added one question to the original post related to HP. Feel free to edit your answers to include it. It was:

Define in one PARAGRAPH what Hit Points represent in your gaming world.

My answer is:

A combination of a level of damage dealt to the body and ability to avoid that damage. The more HP a character has the better he is at making what would have been a death dealing blow, less than death dealing. He twists, turns, contorts, and defends in a learned skillful way, so that even if he takes damage, he minimizes the amount he takes. Zero = unconscious, -10 = death, full = perfect health.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Well, I tend towards older style of play, so I figured some of that would come through in the way I phrased the options. I tried to keep it as neutral as I could though, except for the humorous way I worded some of the options. Even those I tried to balance on both sides. I specifically didn't get into 4e stuff, mostly because I never played it and don't know it well enough to ask intelligent questions based on its facets. Also, because I didn't want to get into an edition war.

It's cool. Maybe I should have written "styles of play" instead of editions, that probably would have been more precise.

Anyway, it was a good idea, and I hope a lot of people answer this questionnaire, because I am genuinely curious about what some people will say.

Remove ads