Schools of thought--Where we all stand on the big questions

Aus_Snow

First Post
OK, I'll play. I have edited some option sets, for increased relevancy, and in some cases, conciseness.

[sblock]High impact but rare magic V. (the rest)

Home made settings (mine) V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

What novels?

level-less games are my favorite nowadays. :p

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. just one.

Narrative critical V. Criticals which give some detriment

What Wizards?

Tabletop grid V. No grid

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

Tiles? Eh?

3d structures on the gaming table V. No structures

Modules V. I’ll make up my own adventures.

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. by the book.

Magic item stores V. No magic item stores. - so far.

Role play and game, as in R, P and G

Don't need magazines, these days.

PDF core rules *AND* paper, thanks. Each has its specific uses.

PDF supplements *AND* paper, thanks. See above.

Laptop for the DM at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Laptop for players at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Mood music while playing v. None

Sound effects while playing v. None

Boxed sets V. Hardcover books (they're just cooler) :cool:

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian (no offence, Gary, and RIP).

Non-weapon proficiencies V. Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something (this is a close one though - in the past year, I've used all three, or things close enough to be so, and they've all worked great).

What classes?

Feats V. No feats (as per skills, though - see above).

Class based system V. No classes

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff. (I guess. Not to the point of ridiculousness or uh, pointlessness, however).

Rolling for social interaction results *AND* Roleplaying all of them out, the results coming from both.

Describing exactly how you are searching *AND* Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings *AND* Rules

Player skill *AND* Character abilities

Heroic *AND/OR* Superhero (hehe. OK, heroic).

Orcus or the like ain't hiding behind just any old door. **** that ****. No way, nuh uh.

Save or die V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Every character being able to do something every round [or thereabouts] of combat (even if that's just firing a crossbow or whatever) V. well, the obvious alternative.

Combat-centric/focused/driven *AND* Roleplay/intrigue/politics –centered/focused/driven, thanks, and no, i do not want economics centre stage. Yuk.

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. We don’t use CR.

What XP? V. XP.

My favorite setting of all time is: one of my own, of course ;)

Mutands and Masterminds V. (the rest)

What Hit Points?[/sblock]

Hey, that was fun, and took very little time, actually. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads