Sci-Fi Game: Inject Yourself with Alien DNA

So I’m developing a Sci-Fi campaign (GURPS) and from the beginning I’ve had this concept of “genetic fusers” which are basically an injection of alien DNA that grants you some of the alien’s abilities, though with some risks. In my first versions of the campaign the PCs would have to take a fuser in the first session as a way of surviving a crash landing on a planet with an alien atmosphere. However, as the homebrew has evolved, Ive had to get away from that plot point. So I’m asking: How can these genetic fusers still be necessary for the PCs, or at the very least compelling?
I just don’t know if most players would eagerly risk genetic side effects (even “fun” ones), in exchange for a few extra abilities (even “cool” ones).

tomBitonti

Adventurer
You need to ask: Fun for whom? And: Why is having a fuser necessary?

Having control over their character's characteristics ("identity") is core to most games. Consequently, losing that control is anathema to most. You might find fusers to be interesting. Your players might not.

Maybe, can you make the effects of a fuser temporary? With options to make the effects permanent, according to what the player wants?

A general caution: "cool" or "fun" effects can highlight particular player's characters while sidelining others who have less "cool" or "fun" effects.

TomB

MarkB

Legend
Put the risk / reward in the hands of the players. Have each fuser capable of three increasingly powerful levels of effect. When first administered, you gain the base effect and no side effects, and that effect will be enough to be helpful in most normal circumstances.

If you need to, you can push yourself to gain the second-level effect, which provides a significant boost but always creates a side-effect. Both last until you choose to dial it back to base level.

If the second-level effect isn't enough in a particular situation, you can push it all the way up to the highest level. This does something spectacular - either gaining a really enhanced version of an ability for a fair period, or doing one really amazing thing instantly. Once it's expended it will drop back to the base-level effect, but the side-effect will remain, and is permanent, barring receiving genetic therapy at a well-appointed clinic.

It sounds like you want a mutant-based campaign.

Forcing the PCs to mutate is IMO/IME a very bad idea. Physical alterations to a PC should not be required.

Why is having a fuser necessary?

Because it's the base concept the DM is proposing as a campaign. You could just as easily ask "why sci-fi instead of fantasy" or "why a TTRPG instead of Minecraft", because the answer is exactly the same. Assume there's a session 0.

So I’m asking: How can these genetic fusers still be necessary for the PCs, or at the very least compelling?

I think your concept of being on a hostile environment where they have to fuse with native aliens to survive is sufficient. Fundamentally, it boils down to two options: either something biological requires it for survival, or they need to do it to blend in. Or both.

It's basically the same plot point Transformers runs on. Try watching the first episode of a series (maybe Beast Wars would be most appropriate?) for inspiration of how they choose their forms.

Last edited:

Because it's the base concept the DM is proposing as a campaign. You could just as easily ask "why sci-fi instead of fantasy" or "why a TTRPG instead of Minecraft", because the answer is exactly the same. Assume there's a session 0.
Except that the OP states that his campaign has drifted from this concept, and he is asking for ways to force it back into focus. This indicates that there is pushback from his players

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So I’m developing a Sci-Fi campaign (GURPS) and from the beginning I’ve had this concept of “genetic fusers” which are basically an injection of alien DNA that grants you some of the alien’s abilities, though with some risks. In my first versions of the campaign the PCs would have to take a fuser in the first session as a way of surviving a crash landing on a planet with an alien atmosphere. However, as the homebrew has evolved, Ive had to get away from that plot point. So I’m asking: How can these genetic fusers still be necessary for the PCs, or at the very least compelling?
I just don’t know if most players would eagerly risk genetic side effects (even “fun” ones), in exchange for a few extra abilities (even “cool” ones).
I agree with @Deset Gled that the hostile environment thing is sufficient to support your premise. But if it doesn’t work, for some reason…

1) someone working with the DNA accidentally discovered that- in small doses- it can have effects similar to certain street drugs/abused pharmaceuticals (your pick), and took some home to his back-alley setup to sell it as a designer drug. However, they didn’t realize there were further effects based on larger doses and/or continued use as it accumulated in human tissues. Mental or physical addiction could be one side effect. See Alien Nation for further insight.

2) perhaps the alien DNA is required to operate alien technology. See Stargate: Atlantis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases