Scion of Arkhosia overland flight

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
When you use the 16th level Scion of Arkhosia overland flight speed, can you still use your standard action if you land within the same move action? Or do you lose your actions as soon as you use overland flight?

It seems to me this just completely overshadows the previous flight ability. Is this correct?

Mort_Q

First Post
D&DI - Glossary said:
Overland flight works like a fly speed with one exception: A creature can take a move action to use overland flight only if it has taken no actions that turn, except free actions or move actions using overland flight. The creature can then take only those actions until the start of its next turn. See also fly speed.

Can't fight and fly it seems. Still... not a bad PP.

Last edited:

babinro

First Post
Overland flight seems to be there to succeed on terrain challenges like gaps, cliffs, slippery surfaces.

In combat it could also be used to flee from battle or close the gap. The speed it grants makes it superior to both running and double move actions.

All and all it wont come up much, the utility power should definitely see more frequent use.

Dr_Sage

First Post
Not shure

It can be used as part of a double move action itself. Speedy!

If I recall this one right from Monster Manual, you cant.

I remmember that a monster, while using Overland Flight looses all her actions and only have a move action to flight.

I may be wrong here.

I think the huge advantage is indeed the freedom of ignoring all terrain features and realistically flight is the only straight path movement mode, not including teleportation of course.

If you travel 10 miles inside a jungle and after that you look at your GPS map you will realise you walked 20 miles actually, becuse its impossible to walk straight.

Aside that I would love to have a flying paragon character for flavor.

Mort_Q

First Post
It says...

D&DI - Glossary said:
Overland flight works like a fly speed with one exception: A creature can take a move action to use overland flight only if it has taken no actions that turn, except free actions or move actions using overland flight. The creature can then take only those actions until the start of its next turn. See also fly speed.

Seems to me you can use two overland flight move actions.

KKDragonLord

First Post
What happens if you don't land at the end of the flying movement from the utility power?

I am assuming the character crashes and uses the rules for that landing safely by falling a number of sqs equal or lower to its speed, and then is allowed to resume its actions for the round.

Even on a "hard crash" i rule that the character can land standing if he makes a DC15 acrobatics check as a part of a check for negating falling damage, although i am considering making the DC for not falling prone to be equal to DC15+dmg taken from the fall, on the same roll.

Btw, is Scion of Arkhosia any good for a sorcerer? I can't help but think it won't be of much use for my character.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases