• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Vadim waits a long moment, then sighs and nods. "OK, I'll give it a shot." He dips long fingers into a beltpouch and pulls out a velvet case. From the velvet case he pulls an assorted set of picks, calipers and rods. The half-elf first inspects the lock and the surrounding door carefully for any sort of traps, then once he's satisfied it's clear he sets to work ont he lock.​
[/section]

[sblock=Actions]Take 20 on both the search for traps (for a 30) and on picking the lock (for a 26).[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
After a careful search for traps, Vadim spends some time on the lock before deciding it is beyond his skill to open. Realization dawns that it was designed to keep the worst criminals in the kingdom from escaping. He does see through the keyhole that the door leads to a balcony on the outside of the building. He can observe nothing further of interest though the tiny opening.

mleibrock

First Post
Falco begins to root around in his pack. Soon it is apparent he is very frustrated... "Every freaking time I need something it ends up on the bottom of this stinkin' bag." He mutters. The little guy is nearly waist into the bag now looking for whatever it is.

After about 5 minutes, the group finally hears something a little more positive. "Eureka!"

He emerges from his pack with a skeleton key held high. "I have no idea if this will help but I've been carrying it around for years not knowing the lock it fits." He hands it to Vadim. "Give it a try."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

The half-elf takes the key from his enthusiastic friend with a shrug and a smile for Falco's antics with his pack, then turns to put key to lock. "I don't see anything on the other side but a balcony, and with the quality of this lock I doubt anything will be out there. Still, best to make sure, I suppose."
[/section]

[sblock=Actions]--[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC: [sblock=Vadim and Falco]The skeleton key gives a flat +10 bonus to try and disable device to open a lock. This does not combine with any skill you may have and you cannot take twenty or ten. A natural 20 with the key will open it. You only get one attempt per lock with any given skeleton key. I guess I can be generous and let Vadim do an aid another to help Falco's check with the key to get an extra +2 since you are trying so hard.[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
[sblock=OOC - Scott] I was actually doing the whole skeleton key more for flavor and role playing than anything else (though he actually bought the skeleton key before we even started adventuring. I kept thinking hey, we can always try the lock twice this way. (sneaky sneaky) I think a re-roll without any assistance would be just fine. Vadim should roll since he now has the key. Roll a 20 Mikey! [/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads