• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scourge of Worlds

Gunslinger

First Post
We went all way through the official version once last night. Overall, it was very cool. However, at times, the melee combat just looks REALLY stupid.

I just got done doing a pre-preview :)P) and I'll be writing up a review on the full version. Short version: I like it, it's a nice diversion. Some notes, though:

- Yes, the graphics are a little stiff, and backgrounds can get a little repetitive, but the graphics are on par with most CRPG-type cut scenes, and better than any CGI I've seen on TV (though not in the full-feature'd movie class -- we're not talking Toy Story or Final Fantasy here).

- Sure, some of the dialog is corny, and the characters are a little flat, but it's better roleplaying than I've seen in most D&D games. Plus, at about 45 minutes for a full run, you're not getting a lot of characterization -- but there's some backstory on a number of the major characters.

- A number of the iconic monsters make an appearance in one form or another. Spells and typical D&D elements are recognizable but not overbearing (though I do wish Mialee would get a better spell selection -- she has about the same spells prepped as a typical PC wizard: all magic missiles).

- There's some tie-in to the overall Greyhawk timeline, nothing earthshattering (a throwback to the Dual Cataclysms). Depending on with path you take, though, you get more or less backstory.

- There's a choice ever 3-5 minutes (about 10 total for a full run, though I didn't actually count). Some are more significant than others. Most aren't of the fight-or-fligjt type, which is kind of nice -- if you were to pick an alignment for the party and choose accordingly, you'll have some hard choices, which is good.

- You can't fast forward through individual scenes, but you can skip ahead to the choice at the end of the scene with the "next scene" button. In the "Help" section, you'll find a menu that allows you to go directly to the scenes where the major story-influencing choices are made.

- There are four major endings (I've seen three) .. you can sort of figure out the key paths after a little while. Those are the endings that lead to the credits; there are others that end the story early ... those allow you to go back to the previous choice and choose another path, so you can get all the way to the end without starting from the beginning. Some of the endings are open enough that they'd sugest a sequel.

- While some of the fight scenes are a little stilted (a limitation of the CGI, I expect), you recognize a lot of D&D elements. The violence isn't any worse than a PG rating -- probably even G (no gore at all, just a little blood). Sleeping Beauty was probably scarier.

Overall: a fun diversion (though not anything that's going to replace your game). I got it for $16, which is about the price of two evening movie tickets around here, and I consider it worth the price given the replayability, not to mention the D&D novelty value. If you have kids, or preople you'd like to introduce to the game, it's probably worth the full price.

It should be good press for D&D; I'd consider it a great way to introduce younger kids to the game, or to try and explain D&D to someone whose never played. Promoted well, I'd think it would expand the fan base a bit. I'd buy a sequel, if one is made.

Remathilis

Legend
I purchased the Full DVD today... I'm impressed (but then again, I liked the D&D movie, guilty pleasure.)

I was kinda bummed at the length (@ 45 min) but overall felt it captured a typical module-esqe D&D scenario, including in-party ribs ("I'm going to punch you really hard." "I'll get you a stool.") and some of the name-drops were added cake (Suel, Twin Cataclysms, and certain Oeth bad-guy...). Overall, its worth at least a long rental, if not a purchase.

Coupled with a First-Start game, it IS a much better tool to introduce players to D&D, better than audio-cds or cheezy live-action videos...

Dhevan

First Post
- There are four major endings (I've seen three) .. you can sort of figure out the key paths after a little while.

Hey there.

The fourth ending is probably the hardest to get to (if it's the one I'm thinking of). The DVD only make two endings available at the end. Which two depends on the choices made and information aquired during the adventure.

Some suggestions to get to the fourth ending:
-Make choices that help Barathion (don't join Rayne in anything)
-There's a peice of info that you must have to get the last ending (in an attempt to avoid any spoilers, I'm not going to come right out and say it. If you've already gone through it a couple of times, you probably already know what I'm talking about.)
-Don't hit any dead ends (even just to see them)

Hope this helps.

-Dhevan

Dhevan

First Post
I was kinda bummed at the length (@ 45 min)

That's the problem with non-linear stories.

There's actually over 2hrs of film on the DVD, it's just that the more choices that are available, the shorter the overall length of the film.

-Dhevan

Thanks for the hint; I found the fourth ending. I found it to be the most satisfying of the four (though I did rather enjoy the one that involved the, er, iconic creature).

It does a good job of presenting characters that aren't completely black or white, which makes the choices tough, if you try to play by a D&D alignment system.

Lots of fun overall. The full review will be up tomorrow at d20 Magazine Rack (though I've posted the essentials here).

Corgano said:
Can you tell me if you can fast forward through the parts you have already seen?

You can't fast foward with the traditional fast forward, but you can skip the scene (using the "next section" or equivalent control) to arrive at the decision point at the end of the scene.

I just reviewed the DVD with the hints above and got through the entire thing in about 10 minutes (most of which was watching the ending).

Dhevan

First Post
Can you tell me if you can fast forward through the parts you have already seen?

On the full version of the DVD, under the "help" menu ("Help", then "More") there are also 6 jump points so that you can skip ahead. They take you anywhere from right at the begining of the story to somewhere near the end.

-Dhevan

Last edited:

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
There will be spoilers here if you havent seen the full dvd all the way through , look at this silly picture and then turn back :
cartkid.jpg

TURN BACK IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS

I liked it a lot.
The animation was cool, the characters were great, there was just enough action/story/humor

My only issue with it was that a few of the endings were rather depressing...I mean, really depressing. The one that jumps to mind is the one where all three of the main characters fall and the evil woman gets away with the scourge. Lidda is left crawling by her fallen comrades and the end seems pretty eminent. Then it ends. But I guess such is life. Maybe I get too "attached" to characters...

I liked how the ending where they kill Barathion (sp?) ends in a way that could lead to a sequel. I didn't seen much sequel potential with the other ending...since everyone seems to die...but you never know...

I liked Lidda. She was very funny, although when she says "Ok girl, get it together" , she sounded more like a suburban teenage girl than a halfling rogue. That was a little annoying, but for the most part she was cute and funny.

I cracked up when she says she's going to punch Regdar and he says "Yeah I'll get you something to stand on" :)

Another small gripe I had, was the first time through the full DVD I made it to the ending where we kill Barathion and save the scourge...(the happy-sequel lending ending). When I went back through, I felt like, a lot of my choices were biased because of what I previously learned about the scourge and about Barathion.
Does that make sense?

And on a technical note, sometimes there were longish blank screen moments in between scenes. I'm not so technical into dvds that it bugged me, but I know some people would be.

But even with a few slight I'd really like to see this type of DVD sell well so they will keep making them. This is a great idea and very fun to go through. I'm sure I will watch it over and over to see all the different scenes, and even once i've done them all, I'm sure I'll watch it again, like any good movie, because the story line and characters were great.

Hoping for a sequel, I am :)

Just my 2 cents.

~S

Remove ads