Scout Skirmish Ability Question

DumbPaladin

First Post
If you cast celerity on yourself (obviously in this example, you are a rogue/sorcerer or rogue/wizard) AFTER you have moved 10', to give yourself an extra standard action which you use as an attack, would you essentially deal multiple attacks for that round with skirmish damage?

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
what like whirlwind attack?
the main problem is a ya cant move more than 5' and get full round, class not thought out.
even if you find a way to attack after moving 10' or more then your left standing there toe to toe until your next init.
I read up bounding assault (spring attacks big brother) and two wep strike and those are the only feats I know of that allow two attacks after a move, and bounding ass. allows you to move after attack as spring attack does.

Everybody seems to have asnswers to fix the scouts main problem -as written it cant work! But all the solutions are in magazines or off-core books, or some expensive magic item the pc will never see. We use the complete series (most) and core.

Magic items just dont grow on trees, in our low-magic campaign, the Red Wizards are the only ones with open "shops" as they kill anybody who competes. The rest of items are found in dungeons etc.

So if your a core only campaign, make a single class scout work. Without access to unique magic items. Again after reading into it, none of us can figure out how they intended this class to work, we like the idea, of a rogue/ranger combo with new class abilities but errumm do it with core and a low magic campaign.

You bring up an interesting problem vis-a-vis melee attacks. However, in my original post I pointed out that the player in question was going for the archery feats.

Others have provided options for the melee attacks which should work out. It does appear that the scout has an easier time obtaining the necessary feats to move and gain skirmish attacks on all attacks if he goes the archer route, though.

Either way, the player has several options available to him. He just needs to learn the patience required to obtain them. ;)

Eman Resu

First Post
That's why he said Dervish. The dervish dance explicitly lets you move between attacks. In fact, you're required to move at least 5 ft between each attack of your full attack, and if you can't move any more (used up all movement or hit some sort of sudden obstruction) that round, you lose any attacks you still had to make! Dervish being in C.Warrior existed before Scout and is a great example of how from the very release of the book, scout had options to move and full attack.

If you're in a core only game, Scout doesn't exist. If C.Adventurer is allowed, assuming other books, especially other Completes, are allowed as well is fair. I suppose you could have custom campaign set ups where Scout is worthless.... I could blanket my world in an Antimagic field and make all spellcasting worthless. That doesn't prove anything.

Low magic campaigns are extremely unbalanced in their own right, scout's far from the only one with problems. Casters can cast their own buffs and possibly craft items. Noncasters in such a game just get shafted.

How does scout work? With some planning and setup, just like the rogue. Rogue can seldom get sneak attack all on his own, at least after the 1st round of combat. He relies on melee buddies to flank and casters or wands to grease enemies, Invisbile or Blink him, or to summon flanking buddies. Scout relies on spells or items to move 10+ ft without spending a move action. Both classes can get feats and other tricks to self-serve a little, but both fare much better with party support.

We do use core, complete series (most), Unearthed Arcana, Psionic books and the PhB2

Remove ads