• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scratchbuilt fighter/mage mini

Tewligan

First Post
Okay, here's a figure I finished up a few days ago. He's made of Kneadatite putty over a wire armature. The sheathed sword was sculpted seperately, then glued to his side and the hand sculpted around it. I'm pretty pleased with this guy - I think I'm (finally!) starting to get the knack of basic anatomy and facial expression. This front photo came out pretty well after several tries - the side and back views I got tired of messing around with, but I figured they're good enough for a round-the-mini tour. He needs just a lil' bit of sanding and filing before the paint goes on, but he's close enough to done for a couple of photos...

Attachments

• magefront.jpg
    magefront.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 135

Tewligan

First Post
Here's the side...

Oof...seeing that pic so big shows me I need to touch up the eyes a little bit - calling Dr. Eyelids! Anyway, continuing around...

Attachments

• mageside.jpg
    mageside.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 136

Tewligan

First Post
Well, that's it. Sorry for the sucky quality of the side and back pics - for some reason, I was unable to reproduce the joyous melding of light and focus which graces the front view. Anyway, questions? Comments? Criticism, constructive or otherwise?

Drakmar

Explorer
I really like his arms and hands.. I think you have got the proportions just right too.

I really like that one.

Drakmar

Tewligan

First Post
Drakmar said:
that's pretty sweet dude. have you used Green Stuff? is Kneadite better?

those are some major eyebrows. :D
Green Stuff is actually a Kneadatite product - GW just repackages and sells it under their own name. The mix that I buy is blue and white that mixes into a white putty, rather than the blue/yellow formula. It handles a bit differently, but I think it's easier to work with.

Heh, yeah, he's packin' some serious eyebrow. That's one part that's gonna undergo a little filing touchup. They're still going to be pretty big, though - kinda gives him a belligerent, Hulk Hogan look.

I may still put something on his chest, but I was thinking about using that open space to paint on some sort of runes or embroidery or something. Although, now that you mention it, some medals might work pretty well. I can see this character as a veteran war mage for some kingdom, proudly showing off his chest full of medals and awards. Have to think about that one...

Thanks for the input, Drak. I may do that today - or, I may start on my CoC dimensional shambler that I just finished up the armature for. That's going to be a fun one - pics when available!

Remove ads