D&D 5E Scroll of Protection and Ranged Weapons

Let's say a PC uses a Scroll of Protection from Undead.

This creates a "5-foot-radius, 10-foot-high cylinder" that acts as a " barrier [that] prevents undead from entering or affecting anything within the cylinder" of protection.

A skeleton down the hall shoots an arrow at the PC.

Does the scroll's barrier block the arrow?

Related question: say the skeleton has a 10' reach weapon. Would the scroll's barrier block that attack?

My thinking is that the arrow would go through the barrier (the arrow is not undead), but the reach weapon would not (since the skeleton is wielding the weapon directly, instead of a piece of ammunition, they are more directly "affecting" something within the barrier).

What say you?

ichabod

Legned
Does the scroll's barrier block the arrow?
I would say not exactly. I would say it would stop the skeleton from shooting the arrow at the PC in the first place. The skeleton is trying to affect the PC by shooting an arrow at it, and that's what the scroll stops.
Related question: say the skeleton has a 10' reach weapon. Would the scroll's barrier block that attack?
This would be the same thing. It would prevent the skeleton from making the attack.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Sounds like a variation of the magic circle spell to me. That spell (and protection from evil) prevents certain effects (eg, fear or charm) and imposes disadvantage on attack rolls (eg, arrows or polearms).

aco175

Legend
It creates a 5ft barrier around the target. I see it as undead trying to get within the 5ft cannot pass and that it does not extend out to arrow range. But, then I read this part of the description, this barrier prevents undead from entering or affecting anything within the cylinder, and now I can see it as more like @ichabod is saying in that it blocks the undead from targeting you to start with. I could still see it the other way though .

The last part of the scroll gives the undead a CHA save to be able to pass through the field, so I might take that as the means to pass through the field and give the save each turn.

Remove ads