D&D General SD&D: Simply D&D

Design Parameters:
  1. SD&D is a mechanically minimalist way of playing through any and all D&D adventures, within the vast D&D Multiverse, with all character options (races, classes, feats, spells, etc.) available as lore (fluff).
  2. Battle (combat) is streamlined to one roll per encounter, or perhaps a series of rolls (like 4E skill challenges).
  3. SD&D is vastly simplified mechanically, but not lore-wise. All character options are are still there...as lore (fluff). Though the core presentation of SD&D may stick to the core races and classes from xD&D, there would be some sort of SD&D "complete character option compendium" which converts not only the entirety of official 5E character options into SD&D, but also all character options from all previous editions (races and racial traits, classes and class features, subclasses, backgrounds, kits, prestige classes, proficiencies, skills, feats, spells)...as lore. This is doable because the mechanics are almost entirely stripped out. Abstracting the mechanics enables these features to co-exist in a single "edition" (SD&D). In this regard, SD&D may be more rich and nuanced than D&D 5E.
  4. Mechanics are either completely mathless (e.g. Advantage/Disadvantage instead of adding modifiers), or very math-lite (like the Monster Slayers kid's D&D published by WotC).
  5. All "bean-counting" is done away with: XP, GP, encumbrance, etc.
  6. The SD&D character sheet has a box to draw in a sketch or symbol of each character feature or piece of equipment. A visual sigil helps with quickly remembering and seeing what the character can do.
  7. SD&D leans into the leading progressive edge of D&D, such as the trend toward freely mixing and matching racial traits. Which is also the way it was in Tom Moldvay and Lawrence Schick's Original Known World (OKW) campaign of 1976-1979: "A note about the races in OKW: they’re much less hard-edged and distinct than in Middle-earth or World of Greyhawk. It’s better to think of them as tribes or ethnicities. All the breeds of humanoid mortals in OKW are inter-fertile, so wherever they’re adjacent there’s a fair amount of intermixing. If you self-identify as an elf, you’re an elf."
  8. SD&D is explicitly set in the D&D Multiverse. The setting is not simplified. In fact, the presentation of the D&D Multiverse may be even more nuanced and complete than we've seen in 5E so far. For example, SD&D lore-books will explicitly refer to all worlds and planes from previous editions. Encyclopedic sources such as the 2E Spell Compendiums, 2E Encyclopedia Magica (magic item compendium series), and Echohawk's research into official monster lore from previous editions, are valued resources in SD&D...for lore (rather than for mechanics).
  9. SD&D is adventure-centered, rather than rulebook-centered. There must be a straightfoward way of converting any and all existing D&D adventures into SD&D. SD&D conversion documents might also provide bullet-pointed encounter summaries and story summaries for helping a DM prepare the adventure.
  10. Though each officially published D&D world exists in the SD&D Multiverse, the default world is a sandbox, hex-crawler homebrew world of the SD&D DM's creation. Based on the 2E World Builder's Guide and the 2E Spelljammer planet-creation book: Practical Planetology. World building is part of the game from the start. Just like rolling up a character. The world is "rolled up" too.
  11. SD&D must aesthetically look like D&D. SD&D sticks closely to official D&D terminology, though it may draw from terminology from previous editions. But SD&D doesn't draw from, say, Pathfinder terminology.
  12. To fulfill the hankering of each generational flavor of D&D nostalgia, the final SD&D PDF will be available in different "edition themes" which mimic the fonts and graphic design of each edition of D&D: OD&D manila, Basic Holmes/Sutherland, B/X Otus, BECMI Elmore, 1E orange-spine Easley, 2E Easley, Rules Cyclopedia Easley, 2.5E Skills & Powers black framed Easley, 3E Henry Higgenbotham gears and gems, 4E Wayne Reynolds, and 5E. But the text is the same. Only the graphic design differs.

Inspirational Quotes from D&D designers:

• Mike Mearls and "A Streamlined Combat System":

"Would you be interested in a streamlined combat system that allowed you to resolve fights quickly? Is the concept appealing?" --Mike Mearls, Sept. 2017

@41:44

When i first started playing 3.0 one of the best Dungeon Masters I played 3.0 with, the first 3 sessions we used saving throws for everything....we were like 'whatever, you're the dungeon master that's what i'll do, and it was fine, it was great...and we had a fantastic time, I still remember being Bjorn the Dwarf in that broken courtyard with my flail dive-bombing on top of my cleric from the top of the ledge, and I'm sure we played nothing like the rules, like I'm sure he had the cleric make a reflex save and I made a fortitude save and I rolled higher so it meant I landed on top of him and...that's what's interesting about it, and then getting that balance, and I've seen that happen--you can picture the enthusiastic new dungeon master who's running the game, and everyone's having a fun time because there's this energy and the storytelling's great, and then someone either stops the game because 'oh that's not how the rules should work.' So then you have the question of is the rule helping us or is it getting in the way...if we instead looked it up and started implementing the rules, would we be having a better time. And that's a huge question in tabletop game design."

• Matt Mercer and "Ability Modifier Only" D&D:

@48:53

Matt Mercer: "In Theory you could play the whole game with just those modifiers, if you really really wanted to...in theory everything could be condensed down to that...if you were a first-time dungeon master you could in theory run the whole game based just off ability modifiers if you really really needed to."

• Tom Moldvay's "d100 D&D" mini-game from the 1981 BASIC D&D Rulebook:

"That's not in the rules!" The players will often surprise the DM by doing the unexpected. [...] One quick way for a DM to decide whether a solution will work is by imagining the situation, and then choosing percentage chances for different possibilities." --page B60

• Tom Moldvay's "Ability Check D&D" mini-game from the 1981 BASIC D&D Rulebook:

"There's always a chance." The DM may want to base a character's chance of doing something on his or her ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and so forth). To perform a difficult task (such as climbing up a rope or thinking of a forgotten clue), the player should roll the ability score or less on ld20. The DM may give a bonus or penalty to the roll, depending on the difficulty of the action (-4 for a simple task to + 4 for a difficult one). A roll of 1 should always succeed, and a roll of 20 should always fail." --page B60

Official Precedents for Simply D&D:
  • Monster Slayers (4E and 5E children's version of D&D): Heroes of Hesiod (pdf) and The Champions of the Elements (pdf)
  • Tom Moldvay's "d100 D&D" and "Ability Check D&D" subgames within B/X D&D.
  • D&D 4E Skill Challenges
  • Other streamlined D&D-branded expressions, such as how characters are statted in the various D&D Miniatures Games, D&D Game Books (e.g. Super Endless Quest), D&D Card Games, and D&D Board Games.
Note however, that unlike these expressions of D&D, SD&D doesn't simplify the lore or cut out character options; only the mechanical aspect (within each character option) is streamlined.

Other Inspirations: (though any borrowed features are fully re-clothed in D&D aesthetic and terminology)

Last edited:

An ability-only game works better if the abilities themselves work better.

Eight abilities:
Strengh/Constitution
Dexterity/Athletics
Intelligence/Perception
Charisma/Wisdom
I can see some of the reasoning, but have you or others in another thread written about the reasons for combining?

Yaarel

He Mage
I can see some of the reasoning, but have you or others in another thread written about the reasons for combining?
Several threads.

Basically, these eight are about equally valuable. Dex is no longer the superstat.

Athletics takes the reflex save from Dex, and combines Athletics and Acrobatics, to become the go-to swashbuckling stat.

Intelligence is lore, investigation, and intuition. Perception is strictly to describe the five senses, sights sounds, etcetera, but also saves against hiddenness and illusion. Charisma includes empathy and is the go-to for social skills and emotional intelligence. Will is willpower and sanity.

Last edited:

Probably not D&D.

I purposely included several examples of "simplified D&D-branded" products which have already been published by TSR or WotC. Along with ideas for "Simplified D&D" which have been voiced by D&D designers.

And SD&D would be fully pervaded with the D&D Multiverse as the setting. Furthermore, unlike a D&D-branded boardgame or minis-game, SD&D would be a TTRPG, with any and all classic D&D adventures available for playthrough.

Though it would be a very divergent line of D&D compared to how D&D has evolved over the course of decades, it'd certainly be an "expression" of D&D, in some sense of the word.

Last edited:

Several threads.

Basically, these eight are about equally valuable. Dex is no longer the superstat.

Athletics takes the reflex save from Dex, and combines Athletics and Acrobatics, to become the go-to swashbuckling stat.
Oh, I thought the "/" meant those two abilities were combined somehow, for four sets of two.

Yaarel

He Mage
Oh, I thought the "/" meant those two abilities were combined somehow, for four sets of two.
Actually yeah.

I started off with four abilities. But discovered that these eight in particular balanced against each other pretty well.

The resulting four roughly correspond to four attack versus defense pairs. They can work as eight separate abilities - or as four by giving each in a pair the same value.

For a minimalist mechanics that only uses abilities, probably go with eight.

Remove ads