• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sean Reynolds rant about terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Jasperak said:
Hey Eric, did not know you were published. Good articles. BTW what kind of tea will you be having?

You talking about my Dragon articles? thanks, though "Hitting the Books" is the one I can still bear to read.

I have some green tea in teabags, supposed to have "antioxidants" or somesuch. I'll brew up some...

SonOfLilith

First Post
The person who wrote this is an embarrassment to everyone who plays D&D, and shoud be dragged out to the back room and shot russian mob style.

Also, he proved himself wrong in his own rant. He said game terms are capitalized (Large instead of large.) All his examples of "enshantment" were lower case, which, by his own definision, means they are adjectives, and not game related.

rounser

First Post
Back to biscuits and tea. (I'm enjoying an Earl Grey right now.) One of the weirdest things I found about the U.S. is the use of the word biscuit.

To give U.S. boardmembers a simulation of the level of weirdness involved, imagine going to another country and seeing Burger King advertising a "burger, in a cookie!".

That's how weird the U.S. use of biscuit can seem to Australian ears.

Starbucks rocks though, so all is forgiven. :)

Henry@home

First Post
EricNoah said:
I never had the guts to write a rant though I have some stuff I could rant about, I guess. Maybe even some gaming related stuff... what do you think I should rant about?

Eric, you ran the most popular 3E site on the internet for 2 years - rant on whatever the heck you feel like! It'd be interesting to say the least :)

Tsyr

Explorer
never heard the term biscut used... around here we call 'em "buns".

What do you folks call "crackers"? Crackers? Biscuit? (By crackers I mean things like saltines, ritz, etc)...

rounser

First Post
never heard the term biscut used... around here we call 'em "buns".

Same here, that's why it seemed so strange. I think it was some special deal they were running at the time.

What do you folks call "crackers"? Crackers? Biscuit? (By crackers I mean things like saltines, ritz, etc)...

Crackers and biscuit are interchangeable when describing those examples, but crackers is more descriptive and specific.

Last edited:

Well, I'm not going to let me get shut out of this interesting discussion just because I'm from a non-English-speaking country. :D

In Denmark it's called "kiks" and "småkager". Småkager means small cakes - so it's not far from cookies which seems like a diminutive of cake as well. Kiks' etymology, however, I have no idea. The funnyt thing is, that there is something called "beskøjter" - which obviously comes from biscuit - but it refers to the large, hard, dry "biscuits" eaten by the sailors back before refrigeration. I have never actually eaten one, but according to hearsay they had to be softened up in water to become the least edible.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Sounds similar to what was called Hardtack over here... I know it was a major component of many diets during the civil war, for example.

I've eaten that stuff before... and it's totaly unapitizing. I guess it's better than starving, though.

And yes, it's hard. Gets harder with age, though, isn't too bad at first.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Here, we call that "hardtack." There are some American Civil war stories of soldiers claiming their lives were saved when a bullet struck the piece of hardtack kept in their breast pockets. Yummy:D

edit: you beat me, Tysr...

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Man, I really like Earl Grey tea. My favorite, followed by Darjeeling and Orange Pekoe.

Hey, Eric, how about a rant concerning posters on message boards...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads