• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sean Reynolds rant about terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I've flipped out about his Sorcerress rant before. Way back when on the Official boards when they were NNTP on tank.wizards, someone who I think has since came to this forum, posted a lovely story about his sorcerress who was born blind, and could only see through magic. SKR, just pop outta nowhere on that thread and said something to the effect of "The official term in 3e is Sorcerrer, we do not make gender distinctions in the game, please do not use Sorcerress."

So, No, He doesn't just mean this rant for d20 publishers, it's meant for players, DMs and everyone. Really quite sad.

Well, sorry, SKR, when I'm talking a fighter could be a fighter, a warrior, a solgier or something entirely different, but female sorcerrers are sorcerress'.

MythandLore

First Post
Wolfspider said:

Sorcerer

\Sor"cer*er\, n. A spellcaster with inborn magical ability.
Source: Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook, © 1999 Wizards of the Coast.

sorceress
sor·cer·ess
Pronunciation: -r&s
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
: a woman who is a sorcerer

sorcerer
sor·cer·er
Pronunciation: 'sor-s&-r&r, 'sors-r&r
Date: 15th century
: a person who practices sorcery : WIZARD

wizard
wiz·ard
Pronunciation: 'wi-z&rd
Etymology: Middle English wysard, from wis, wys wise
Date: 15th century
1 archaic : a wise man : SAGE
2 : one skilled in magic : SORCERER
3 : a very clever or skillful person

sorcery
sor·cery
Pronunciation: -rE
Etymology: Middle English sorcerie, from Middle French, from sorcier sorcerer, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin sortiarius, from Latin sort-, sors chance, lot -- more at SERIES
1 : the use of power gained from the assistance or control of evil spirits especially for divining : NECROMANCY
2 : MAGIC

necromancy
nec·ro·man·cy
Pronunciation: 'ne-kr&-"man(t)-sE
Etymology: alteration of Middle English nigromancie, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin nigromantia, by folk etymology from Late Latin necromantia, from Late Greek nekromanteia, from Greek nekr- + -manteia -mancy
Date: 1522
1 : conjuration of the spirits of the dead for purposes of magically revealing the future or influencing the course of events
2 : MAGIC, SORCERY

magic
mag·ic
Pronunciation: 'ma-jik
Etymology: Middle English magique, from Middle French, from Latin magice, from Greek magikE, feminine of magikos Magian, magical, from magos magus, sorcerer, of Iranian origin; akin to Old Persian magus sorcerer
1 a : the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b : magic rites or incantations
2 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b : something that seems to cast a spell : ENCHANTMENT
3 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand

enchantment
en·chant·ment
Pronunciation: in-'chant-m&nt, en-
Date: 13th century
1 a : the act or art of enchanting b : the quality or state of being enchanted
2 : something that enchants

enchant
en·chant
Pronunciation: in-'chant, en-
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French enchanter, from Latin incantare, from in- + cantare to sing -- more at CHANT
1 : to influence by or as if by charms and incantation : BEWITCH
2 : to attract and move deeply : rouse to ecstatic admiration

bewitch
be·witch
Pronunciation: bi-'wich
Date: 13th century
transitive senses
1 a : to influence or affect especially injuriously by witchcraft b : to cast a spell over
2 : to attract as if by the power of witchcraft : ENCHANT
intransitive senses : to bewitch someone or something

witchcraft
witch·craft
Pronunciation: 'wich-"kraft
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the use of sorcery or magic b : communication with the devil or with a familiar
2 : an irresistible influence or fascination
3 : WICCA

© 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
The rants that I've seen are usually someone spouting off in a fairly incoherent way about something stupid. Putting a little too much negative emotion into a topic that doesn't deserve it. I think when you do that too much you risk SOUNDING LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS, and if you do that all the time your really important messages could get lost among the dreck.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when I'm ready to rant, it will be on something that really outrages me. When that time comes, you'll know it because I will be so utterly disappointed in someone or some company that I won't have any choice but to burn all of my bridges. :D

However, in the interest of fun, here are some topics that might deserve a "mild rant" at some point...

a) D20 publishers who talk big and deliver jack squat

b) D20 publishers with crappy websites

c) Any publisher that thinks their customers can read their minds

d) The strange, perilous journey Master Tools has been on. Someone please invent a time machine and go back and tell Jim Bishop what's going to happen with Infogrames so he can change history!

Well that's all I can think of now. Aren't you glad I don't rant? :)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
EricNoah said:
Well that's all I can think of now. Aren't you glad I don't rant? :)
Not all of us are glad about that, Eric; I recall that Nemm always wanted to close a thread that was started by you. :D Hehe, but he won't because, when the time comes, I will get you first! Mwahahaha!!! ;)

:)

[moderator mode]Oh, folks, and thanks for keeping this discussion non-inflammatory. :)[/moderator mode]

Mmm, tea... :)

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
"The official term in 3e is Sorceror, we do not make gender distinctions in the game, please do not use Sorceress."

I guess it's like getting bent out of shape over use of the word "Actress" versus using "Actor" for both genders - because the term "Actor" is seen as carrying more respect.

I think that Sorceress conveys more information about the person (i.e. you know their gender) than would using the title Sorceror for both genders would. Another example is the gender specific terms Witch and Warlock - same occupation, different title for each gender. Males with the title "Witch" (unless suffixed, as in the case of "Witch-King") feels and sounds wrong to me.

What's next? Genericising Shield Maiden? (Coming soon: Shield Person prestige class....)

Usually Sean's rants make a bucket of sense, but this one smacks thoroughly of tilting at windmills, IMO.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
The strange, perilous journey Master Tools has been on.

Reminds me of a quote from the narrator from the Rocky Horror Picture Show:

"I would like to take you....if I may....on a strange and perilous journey...."

Aaron L

Hero
Take off ranting Eric, I think a lot of us would like to read it, if only to see your opinions on things.

Here in the middle of PA biscuits are crusty rolls, (hard on the outside, fluffy on the inside) crackers are things like saltines and the like, cookies are like crackers only sweet, and at least in my immediate surroundings we call carbonated beverages pop, though soda is by no means uncommon.

I got a box of various teas for Christmas, and most of it was good. I like green tea, and most of them were green tea mixtures, but this one type was called zen, and had a God-awful peppermint/catnip flavor that nearly gagged me :)

I like the tea and biscuit discussion a lot :)!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
If I understand correctly, many Europeans have gone their whole lives without experiencing the wonder that is a brownie. Is this correct?

I mean, as a baker, I have great respect for European traditions. If I even learn to make a decent croissant, I'll pound my chest like an ape in triumph. Glazed fruit tarts are a thing of beauty. A delicate scone is fantastic.

But we in the states have all these things -- and we have our own traditions. You folks in non-English-speaking countries: have you eaten brownies? Have you had chocolate-chip cookies? Has the sweet love of a banana cream pie ever passed your lips?

If not, grab your nearest baker friend, point them toward www.epicurious.com, and put them to work. I promise you that you will not be sad.

And once you've done that, send them back here, and I will enlighten them with the secret of caffeine cookies. People have told me these cookies have changed their lives.

Daniel

Last edited:

Don't worry. We eat a lot of brownies and American style chocolate chip cookies in Denmark. Banana cream pie, I'm afraid I haven't tried, though.

HA! I just realized that this leads to another controversial baked food:

The muffin! :D

Personally, I love both English - especially with melted butter - *slobber*, and the American - especially the chocolate ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads