Sean Reynolds rant about terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

rounser

First Post
Actually, Charmed is quite good about terminology - the "warlocks" I've seen in that show are have, in fact, all fit the traditional definition of "oathbreaker".

Is that so? I missed that subtlety.

Of course, all the evil oathbreakers just happen to be male, because Charmed is the kind of show where any male character that isn't strictly "supporting cast" must be eeeeeeeevil, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

But not that one. :)

Wolfspider

Explorer
How does the above...contradict this? Because I see no contradiction whatsoever.

Well, for one, there is no sorceress class in D&D. And when you're discussing things that are gaming related, you should use the correct terminology. The terminology of D&D may differ considerably from Standard English, but that doesn't mean that it isn't correct or shouldn't be used in the special context of gaming. Special linguistic situations call for special usage. To use general language in a special situation often leads to misunderstandings.

I don't think that Mr. Reynolds is trying to say in his rant that all language must conform to the D&D standard, just game-related language. You wouldn't want a surgeon to use lay-language when he's in the operating room giving orders; you want the language to be as precise as possible. In the same way, when a D20 publisher uses a term that is present in the D&D rules lexicon, he should use it correctly and not in the general sense.

It's late, and I'd better get to sleep before I say something that I'll regret in the morning.

Well, one more thing. ;) All you cookie-monsters who are trying to hijack this thread, why don't you find your own turf? You're getting cookie crumbs in my bed, and I don't like it. Scram! :D

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Brownies

I think, as D&D players, we have all enjoyed the great flavor of a small, helpful, house-dwelling creature dipped in chocolate...mmm...chocolate brownie.....

Ah-hem....er....

I think I want to rant...but where to post, where to post....

There should be a series of message board categories dedicated to "Politics, Religion, and Other Inflamatory Stuff" where gamers can go to yell and scream at each other and not come away with their feelings hurt...

Oh, and Eric, you should rant about all the wierd people who visit you at your home and ask you to sign their computers because they're such big fans and....er...maybe that's just me. ^_^

MythandLore

First Post
Added: conjurer, magician, warlock, witch

sorceress
sor·cer·ess
Pronunciation: -r&s
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
: a woman who is a sorcerer

sorcerer
sor·cer·er
Pronunciation: 'sor-s&-r&r, 'sors-r&r
Date: 15th century
: a person who practices sorcery : WIZARD

wizard
wiz·ard
Pronunciation: 'wi-z&rd
Etymology: Middle English wysard, from wis, wys wise
Date: 15th century
1 archaic : a wise man : SAGE
2 : one skilled in magic : SORCERER
3 : a very clever or skillful person

sorcery
sor·cery
Pronunciation: -rE
Etymology: Middle English sorcerie, from Middle French, from sorcier sorcerer, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin sortiarius, from Latin sort-, sors chance, lot -- more at SERIES
1 : the use of power gained from the assistance or control of evil spirits especially for divining : NECROMANCY
2 : MAGIC

necromancy
nec·ro·man·cy
Pronunciation: 'ne-kr&-"man(t)-sE
Etymology: alteration of Middle English nigromancie, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin nigromantia, by folk etymology from Late Latin necromantia, from Late Greek nekromanteia, from Greek nekr- + -manteia -mancy
Date: 1522
1 : conjuration of the spirits of the dead for purposes of magically revealing the future or influencing the course of events
2 : MAGIC, SORCERY

magic
mag·ic
Pronunciation: 'ma-jik
Etymology: Middle English magique, from Middle French, from Latin magice, from Greek magikE, feminine of magikos Magian, magical, from magos magus, sorcerer, of Iranian origin; akin to Old Persian magus sorcerer
1 a : the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b : magic rites or incantations
2 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b : something that seems to cast a spell : ENCHANTMENT
3 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand

enchantment
en·chant·ment
Pronunciation: in-'chant-m&nt, en-
Date: 13th century
1 a : the act or art of enchanting b : the quality or state of being enchanted
2 : something that enchants

enchant
en·chant
Pronunciation: in-'chant, en-
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French enchanter, from Latin incantare, from in- + cantare to sing -- more at CHANT
1 : to influence by or as if by charms and incantation : BEWITCH
2 : to attract and move deeply : rouse to ecstatic admiration

bewitch
be·witch
Pronunciation: bi-'wich
Date: 13th century
transitive senses
1 a : to influence or affect especially injuriously by witchcraft b : to cast a spell over
2 : to attract as if by the power of witchcraft : ENCHANT
intransitive senses : to bewitch someone or something

witchcraft
witch·craft
Pronunciation: 'wich-"kraft
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the use of sorcery or magic b : communication with the devil or with a familiar
2 : an irresistible influence or fascination
3 : WICCA

witch
witch
Pronunciation: 'wich
Etymology: Middle English wicche, from Old English wicca, masculine, wizard & wicce, feminine, witch; akin to Middle High German wicken to bewitch, Old English wigle divination, and perhaps to Old High German wIh holy -- more at VICTIM
Date: before 12th century
1 : one that is credited with usually malignant supernatural powers; especially : a woman practicing usually black witchcraft often with the aid of a devil or familiar : SORCERESS -- compare WARLOCK
2 : an ugly old woman : HAG
3 : a charming or alluring girl or woman
4 : a practitioner of Wicca
5 : WITCH OF AGNESI

warlock
war·lock
Pronunciation: -"läk
Etymology: Middle English warloghe, from Old English w[AE]rloga one that breaks faith, the Devil, from w[AE]r faith, troth + -loga (from lEogan to lie); akin to Old English w[AE]r true -- more at VERY, LIE
1 : a man practicing the black arts : SORCERER -- compare WITCH
2 : CONJURER

conjurer
con·jur·er
Variant(s): or con·ju·ror /'kän-j&r-&r, 'k&n-/
1 : one that practices magic arts : WIZARD
2 : one that performs feats of sleight of hand and illusion : MAGICIAN, JUGGLER

magician
ma·gi·cian
Pronunciation: m&-'ji-sh&n
1 : one skilled in magic; especially : SORCERER
2 : one who performs tricks of illusion and sleight of hand

© 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

rounser

First Post
There should be a series of message board categories dedicated to "Politics, Religion, and Other Inflamatory Stuff" where gamers can go to yell and scream at each other and not come away with their feelings hurt...

(ahem)(cough)nutkinland(cough)

Green Knight

First Post
Well, for one, there is no sorceress class in D&D.

No, but there is a Sorceror class. And Sorceress is the name for a female Sorceror. Just because there's no feminized version of "Cleric", "Fighter", or "Wizard" doesn't mean that the word Sorceress shouldn't be used.

And when you're discussing things that are gaming related, you should use the correct terminology. The terminology of D&D may differ considerably from Standard English, but that doesn't mean that it isn't correct or shouldn't be used in the special context of gaming. Special linguistic situations call for special usage. To use general language in a special situation often leads to misunderstandings.

Where's the confusion? A Sorceress is a female Sorceror. No possible misunderstandings can arise from that. Say it with me. "A Sorceress is a female Sorcerer."

I don't think that Mr. Reynolds is trying to say in his rant that all language must conform to the D&D standard, just game-related language. You wouldn't want a surgeon to use lay-language when he's in the operating room giving orders;

No, I'd want him to speak ENGLISH! And a doctor wouldn't flip out at another doctor for using the phrase "the patient can get up and walk around" rather than saying "the patient is ambulatory", the way someone else above described how SKR flipped out at some guy for calling his heroine (the feminine version of "hero") a sorceress.

you want the language to be as precise as possible.

And the word "Sorceress" isn't precise? It's certainly more precise than using "Sorceror" for both genders. By calling someone a Sorceress, not only do you know they use sorcery, but that they're female.

In the same way, when a D20 publisher uses a term that is present in the D&D rules lexicon, he should use it correctly and not in the general sense.

Sorceror is more general than Sorceress...

herald

First Post
I don't think that Mr. Reynolds is trying to say in his rant that all language must conform to the D&D standard, just game-related language. You wouldn't want a surgeon to use lay-language when he's in the operating room giving orders; you want the language to be as precise as possible. In the same way, when a D20 publisher uses a term that is present in the D&D rules lexicon, he should use it correctly and not in the general sense.

What I want in a Doctor is one that gets the job done. Should he and his staff decide to talk Jarjar Binks makes no differance to me, just as long as he gets the job done, and I wake up healthy.

The fact of the matter is simple. D&D will be in existance far longer that he will have his posistion at WoTC, God-willing, and he should realize that. Dictating some "WoTC Politically Correct Terminology" in unwanted and unneeded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not deep in a shack, writing this hoping that SKR gets fired. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I hope he stays as long as he's productive and happy.

But let's get to the meat of the matter. Certain things need to be locked down in rules terminolgy. Things like; turn, standard action, held action, delayed action, move equivalent action, ect.

Things that don't; enchantment (when using it to describe something that has been made magical), sorceress and the like.

Any language has more nuances that he can count. Limiting peoples ways of expressing themselves is stupid, and stiffling creativity, which runs counter to what D&D is about.

He can try do defend his rant all he wants, IMHO, he has some other issues that he needs to deal with.

MythandLore

First Post
herald said:
What I want in a Doctor is one that gets the job done. Should he and his staff decide to talk Jarjar Binks makes no differance to me, just as long as he gets the job done, and I wake up healthy.
Hew-wo, Me-sa your-sa dac-door,
you-sa gon-na need a bi-pass ser-ger-rey,
exsqueeeese-me but me-sa think you-sa gon-na nee-da pace maker tew. ;)

You know, come to think of it now, I had a doctor who was chinese before and I had a harder time understanding what he was talking about then Jar-Jar.
Hmm...

Last edited:

MythandLore said:

You know, come to think of it now, I had a doctor who was chinese before

What was he afterwards?:D

Anyhoo,

Sorceress, SOrceress, SORceress, SORCeress, SORCEress, SORCERess, SORCEREss, SORCERES, SORCERESS!!!!!!

The next ten products I write are going to feature nothing but groups of sorceresses. Collectively, I will refer to them as Sorceri and each will carry a large Large Orcish Mithril blade enchanted to slay only elvish folk. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads