• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Search in the Dark

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
First taking a long pull on the dark bottle, then wiping his lips with the back of his hand Martomum takes a deep breath and then let's it out like a harsh sigh. "Wells times ta finds me lost Outer." he says handing the bottle back and then heading off behind Athos.

The party travels alertly through the dark forest, a howling wolf can be heard off in the distance but there is no answering cry, so it seems the wolves have moved on but the party stays alert.

Greyhay proves a reliable tracker as he brings the party to a clearing showing signs of recent fight. The broken up ground of a horse being pulled in a tight circle. And even a blood trail that leads off to a dead wolf that was stabbed and then tried to crawl away but died not far from the battle site.

Searching the area the party discovers where the horseman turned and ran the trail leading off further into the woods. It is only a little time before the trail breaks from the woods to a clearing of tall grass, but the path followed by the Outrider is clearly evident to all. The grass was trampled by the fleeing horse and leaves a path anyone could follow.

Greyhay runs out ahead seeings as how everyone can follow this easily, but returns only a few minutes later with grave news. He takes the party along the path to where it leads to a huge gorge.

The party stands on the edge of a cliff some 80 feet in the air looking down to a stony creek bed below. Greyhay points an everyone notices a stiff legged horse lying on the rocks, it's harness glinting in the moonlight.

"Were's me Outer?" asks the dwarf in a sad voice.

[sblock] spot checks and any actions you wish to take to start [/sblock]

wysiwyg

First Post
Athos reaches the edge of the gorge and catches his breath. After a minute of calm he just stares and observes at the scene below. "How long ago would you say this happened Greyhay?" He scans the bottom for any sign of movement.

[sblock]
Spot Check: 21 Roll Lookup [/sblock]

ghostcat

First Post
With Moggins by his side, Trinham carefully scans the canyon for signs of a man, going as far as laying down and peering over the side to see if the Outer is there. "See if you can you spot a body Moggins, two sets of eyes are better than one. Be careful, I don't want you falling over the cliff." Moggins turns round and gives his master a look of disdain as only a disgruntled cat can, before peering intently over the edge.

Assuming that no-one spots a body; Trinham waits until Grayhay answers Athos' question then interjects "I'm not a tracker but it seems to me that the horse bolted without its rider. We should go back to the clearing and search for human footprints."

[sblock="Mechanics"]Trinham scans the canyon (1d20+2=17)
If Mogins is allowed his own roll:Moggins scans the canyon (1d20+3=5)
[/sblock]

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Hralfgar watches the whole group near the edge of the cliff. He turns around to watch for any ambush.
[sblock]
1d20[9] = (9)
[\sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Update:Area PC's are in

The large clearing has waste high grass swaying in the slight breeze. The half moon seeming like a small sun after the darkness of the woods, shows the group the gorge and the farside cliff some 50 feet away. There is a tree leaning over the edge of the cliff on the same side as the PC's it's roots visible here and there sticking out of the cliff. And the woods seem to continue on the far side right at the farside cliff edge. The gorge drops 80 feet and has a stony, small, shallow creek passing below. The tall grass goes right up to the edge of the ravine making it hard to notice.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Greyhay stops his searching of the ravine to answer Athos. "Happened just under two hours, no more than two hours. Will need to see the horse to be sure." He turns to Trinham, "I was wishin' the Outrider got clear but the prints say otherwise they are consistent with a mounted horse. He went over the edge." The tracker shakes his head as he looks down.

On guard Hralfgar keeps his torch held high. It has started to burn low, and the warrior would not want to set fire to the hole woods

wysiwyg

First Post
Before heading down the ravine, Athos scans the overhanging treeline to see if there is any sign of the outer rider.

[sblock]assuming i can still use my previous spot check 21[/sblock]

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Hralfgar walks to the group peering over the edge. "If I may," he asks, "I could drop a lit torch off to the side to try and light up the area for a few seconds."

Galphanore

First Post
Damon stands nearly a dozen feat back from the edge, stretching himself to his full height to try to see over the edge but holding tightly to a tree while doing so, unwilling to approach the edge of the drop-off but wanting to help.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads