• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Season premiere of "The Shield"

Just what we need another bad cop show.

Just tell me. How often in the show does our "hero" do something illegal to get the job done?

Hollywood cannot do a cop show without the cop in question breaking the law left and right.

Storm Raven

First Post
DocMoriartty said:

Just tell me. How often in the show does our "hero" do something illegal to get the job done?

Hollywood cannot do a cop show without the cop in question breaking the law left and right.

Mackey is clearly not the hero of the show. He is just one of the central characters. He is evil, but he is also good at times. His villainy is offset by Acevedo (although he is becoming sullied in his pursuit of political office), and Dutch and several other characters.

Mackey is a strong character, but he is not idealized.

Rhialto

First Post
Actually, I'm a big fan of The Shield because, as opposed to NYPD Blue where the law-breaking habits of its officers are potrayed as almost lovable, Mackey's rogue cop act is shown as causing as much trouble as it solves. He stops crime, perhaps, but only by becoming a rather more vicious breed of criminal...

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I would have to agree that the charm of The Shield is the fact the Mackey's rogue cop is not shown as being a good thing. It's often a bad thing and once in a while manages to do something good. Although even then something bad comes out of it. It is not a happy show and does not make dirty cops look like heroes.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
DocMoriartty said:

You do realize the original title of the show was Rampart, based on the actual life bad cop events in the Rampart district of Los Angeles? In fact a huge amount of the bad-cop events in the show are based directly on court testimony about them (which ended with several cops in jail).

I suppose in your world all cops follow the law all the time. Not in mine.

Not at all. But in Hollywood every other cop interrogates suspects by beating the hell out of them.

Mistwell said:

You do realize the original title of the show was Rampart, based on the actual life bad cop events in the Rampart district of Los Angeles? In fact a huge amount of the bad-cop events in the show are based directly on court testimony about them (which ended with several cops in jail).

I suppose in your world all cops follow the law all the time. Not in mine.

Rhialto

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Not at all. But in Hollywood every other cop interrogates suspects by beating the hell out of them.

That's happened once in the series, during the first episode, and was shown as being a BIG deal...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads