seasong's Light Against The Dark II (May 13)

incognito

First Post
possible to be a monk in your world?

I was wondering if it was feasible for someone to generate a monk like character wusing your build system. I did not notice a way to amke wisdom increase your AC, but there were other ways to build AC.

Wondering how you might simulate some of a monk's special powers.

seasong

First Post
Trip to Aglaonis

Captain Agina, her arm twisted so far it hurt, let them go, and tried not to let them suspect her reservations. Thelanna had invoked the fear of the Gods themselves with Phitios earlier in the night, and Phitios had made it clear to Agina that as costly as it was to lose to spell casters during a time of war, it would be costlier still to lose the perpetually lit battlefield against orcs.

Fighting orcs in the dark was hard, but could not be afforded against Breaking Cat orcs.

So she smiled, and nodded in an understanding manner, and let them go. And then she prayed and prayed and prayed that they made it safely through the wilderness with neither guide nor soldiers around them.

Thelanna had been clear on that, as well.

Unaware of the political currents about them, Greppa and Merideth arrived at Eastpass, and began to head north through the wilderness.

incognito

First Post
I'm spoiled

I'm spoiled becasue for 1,000 posts or so seasong has been all over this story hour posting vignettes, and whatnot.

After a brief Monday I thought we'd get a long long long update. Awwww! This one was nice, but felt like a percursor. Work is that busy, huh...

:(

**Need to know who the 'new' Athan is!

seasong

First Post
Sword & Stone of Aglaonis

Surprisingly enough, the trip was surprisingly uneventful, despite the dangers of travelling in so small a group. Merideth and Greppa had plenty of time to think, and plan, and ultimately decided that the best place to look for Allas' new chosen was at the largest temple to Allas they could find in the city.

Finding it, in a city older, larger and even (if possible) less organized than Theralis, however, was a chore. Finally, Greppa managed to drag Merideth off the streets and into a shop, where Greppa asked for directions.

They met Bellos shortly after that, and developed an instant dislike for the person attempting to fill Athan's immense shoes. Taller than either of them, and reasonably athletic looking, he was nonetheless a midget compared to Athan, and an anorexic midget at that. Dark, curly locks framed a tan, unshaven face and dark, dangerous blue eyes. With an Aglaonese meat cleaver slung across his back, a fur-lined jacket and heavy oiled cloak, his intense gaze made him look like some madman fresh out of the wilderness.

It began innocuously enough. They ignored the wild man hanging out by the temple doors, and strode, twin white cloaks sweeping behind them, into the center. With chins high and eyes stern, they requested an audience with the head priest, and upon meeting with said august personage, explained their dreams and that they were looking for someone "guided" to the temple.

The priest grinned, and pointed at the door. Or rather, the guy standing by it. He was ignoring them, as well - to his eyes, they looked like just another pair of youthful acolytes. He wasn't a day older, mind, but he was weathered at least.

Greppa and Merideth walked back to the door, Greppa leading with, "Ah, hello. We had a vision that led us here, to meet someone. You, perhaps. Do you happen to have something like this?" And he pulled his tunic down at the neck to reveal his birthmark in the sign of Allas.

He just nodded, carefully measuring the pair, but said, "It ain't where I want to show yeh, though."

Greppa's already dark skin deepened a notch. Merideth just raised an eyebrow - healers don't get far without seeing some really ugly body parts. Regaining his composure, Greppa pressed on, "Well, in that case, we... and yourself, apparently... are the chosen of Allas. The birthmark is her sign to us. We don't know all of what we are intended for yet, but we know it starts in Theralis. Will you join us?"

"What's yeh name?"

"Greppa. And this is Merideth."

"Mine's Bellos. I'd love to go with yeh, but we've got a fight goin' with orcs at Trappin' Pass. I'm only here cuz o' the dreams. I was headin' back next."

Greppa, irritated, looked at Merideth. She knew how to stoke the fires of heroism better than anyone. Merideth, meanwhile, was looking appraisingly at Bellos. He seemed honest, if a bit backwater, so she counteroffered, "What if we helped with this fight? Would you come with us then?"

"Sure. I just ain't goin' to leave 'em in a lurch. They're expectin' my help."

That, at least, impressed the pair. Greppa, as valuable as he was to Theralis, could be done without - perhaps this young man was a worthy successor. The three left the temple, to see what they could do at Trapping Pass.

"Field of Battle"

Perhaps not.

Greppa and Merideth surveyed the battlefield, and it was all they could do not to sneer with Theralis superiority. Several dozen camps of humans, carrying those ridiculous swords over their backs, were scattered about the top end of the slope. The orcs, almost a mirror image of the Aglaonis "organization", we scattered about at the bottom end of the slope.

"It's between fights," Bellos offered helpfully. Somewhere down below, an orc, possibly betting with his peers, hurled a spear upslope, missing a camp by a few feet. The Aglaonese startled to their feet, yelling imprecations downslope while the orcs laughed.

As far as Greppa could see, what arcanists Aglaonis had were still safely in their towers. They certainly weren't here. "Bellos... I'm an arcanist. I can do some pretty impressive stuff. Would your people be offended if I routed these orcs?"

There was a long pause. Bellos just stared at him, then, "No, but we could ask one o' the captains."

Within minutes of that, Greppa was airborne, picking an altitude where he could drop fireballs accurately without fear of spears. Within minutes of that, as he dropped conflagration after conflagration on the open areas, the orcs were howling into the woods. Greppa landed, irritation evident on his face, "You want to fight real orcs, come with us."

Bellos, quietly studying the tiny little black man, just nodded.

seasong

First Post
Re: I'm spoiled

incognito said:
I'm spoiled becasue for 1,000 posts or so seasong has been all over this story hour posting vignettes, and whatnot.

After a brief Monday I thought we'd get a long long long update. Awwww! This one was nice, but felt like a percursor. Work is that busy, huh...
I was working on it while you were posting this :). I feel another Aggie vignette coming on next. And possibly some background on...

HYDRAS. And let me just say, the PCs were thrilled (THRILLED, I tell you) to learn about the hydras of Greek myth.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Within minutes of that, as he dropped conflagration after conflagration on the open areas, the orcs were howling into the woods. Greppa landed, irritation evident on his face, "You want to fight real orcs, come with us."

SNORT!

Give the heroes a bit of power and they get this big attitude problem...

love it

John

Barastrondo

First Post
seasong said:
I was working on it while you were posting this :). I feel another Aggie vignette coming on next. And possibly some background on...

HYDRAS. And let me just say, the PCs were thrilled (THRILLED, I tell you) to learn about the hydras of Greek myth.

(puts envelope to head) "What has nine heads and counting, and more poison than the dealer's room of AssassinCon '34?"

Hee hee. Can't wait for this one.

seasong

First Post
Monsters

The Hydra

In Greek myth, the second labor of Herakles was to slay (or at least end the terrifying reign of) the Hydra of Lernaea. The hydra of that myth was a creature of the swamp who would go out onto the plains of Lernaea and ravage cattle and country both. It had nine heads, eight mortal and one (the middle one) immortal. It was not killed, but instead trapped - Herakles cut off its eight mortal heads (while Iolaus used a torch to burn the stumps), then cut off and pinned its immortal head under a rock.

Theralis: The original Hydras is a long dead demigod, the spawn of Ogalos and Ophalas, respectively the god of deep currents and an shoreside fawn (female satyr). Hydras was born a fat-bodied serpent with goat-like forelegs, three coral snake heads, and three tails. Ophalos was horrified by the monster birthed from her womb, but Ogalos was delighted with its appearance, so he fogged her mind to let her see the child as beautiful. After a year and a day, the serpentine child bit her nipple as it suckled, and Ophalos bled to death.

Hydras fled the sea, fearful of its fathers' wrath, and hid in mountain swamps for several decades, feeding on those who happened by and the random forage into a village or two. Hydras was eventually killed when it was driven by a group of heroes to the sea, where Ogalos raised a mighty wave and dragged Hydras into the sea to die.

Before Hydras was slain in this way, however, it bore a number of young in the swamps who, while not quite like their parent (they took on the traits of different serpents of the swamp that Hydras bred with), possessed many of the same qualities. Those eventually became the hydra known today.

Dwelling in swamps, lakes, deep rivers and other places of the wild, the hydra is a dangerous brute. Most of them retain enough divine blood in their veins to regenerate wounds almost as swiftly as they are taken, and when one head is slain, two heads grow in its place, germinating in the body's flesh before pushing forth from the wound. Some species are poisonous, while others grow from the northern winter cobra (with white mantles and frosty breath, they are easy to discern) or the burnserpent (also easy to discern by its brilliant red throat), while still others stem from more harmless varieties of snake. All are dangerous, however, as they are generally 20-30 feet in length and nearly ten tons in weight, and terribly vicious.

Most are dully colored other than their heads, with pale underbodies and torsos spotted much like a young deer for camouflage. Although ponderous, they are capable of very rapid charges for short distances, and, while practically unheard of in Theralis (where no sizable lakes exist, and no swamps at all), they are known.

Remove ads