"Second Son of a Second Son" - Bleys' Journal

Rastfar

First Post
14, Sek 637 M.Y.

Laarus is an eager fellow. His zeal committed us to a course of action: one that which we were not all agreed upon. Tactically not a sound decision, I’m sure Timotheus and Victoria would agree. And now Argos is dead. When Victoria regains her wits, I’m sure she will be sour and chagrined, but I am unable to ascertain how long that plant’s toxin will course through her veins. Fortunately, none other of our number found such their fate, though Timotheus did certainly come close to awaiting Osiris’ judgment. We felled three of their number, before we could reach an accord. Afterwards of course, we were only able to bind two of them, the last, his wounds proved too grievous for me to bind. I will say this for the warrior, he lays lacerations which are sure and run deep.

‘No plan survives contact with the enemy.’

As I suspected, they do hold Sir Quintus of his own volition, confirming this blood shed was entirely unnecessary. He is enduring something known as the 'Shannis effect', under the care and protection of the Golden Straw Tribe, whom he manipulated to his ends. The knight has debased himself by becoming addicted to this drug which clouds his mind and judgment.

As I understand it, this is the background which has been provided us. Shannis is derived from the pollen of a plant here, which the lizardfolk can harvest safely being immune to its mind-addling effects. The pollen, once harvested, is somehow combined with some variant of mushroom spores, collected from somewhere else near here, by someone else. I do recall someone, Tavius perhaps, mentioning a hermit who lived in the bog and sang to his mushrooms. He may be said person. I shall have to recall to look into this as well.

The Gold Straw tribe of lizardmen has recently moved into the vicinity, escaping the more deadly contested Disputed Territories. They had been harvesting this pollen but decided they would stop. They encountered Sir Quintus who promised to speak to young Lord Swann on their behalf. They wish to pledge their fealty and pay tribute to him in exchange for protection and the grant of lands. Frankly, I think this an exceptional boon to the House, as these lands are near uninhabitable anyway, even for the hardy folk of Bog End. A tribe of lizardmen acting as scouts, couriers, and harriers in times of war, would be an asset indeed, at the least, opening the Beach Road to trade would prove profitable.

Some drug merchants came about looking for the Shannis. Sir Quintus Gosprey encountered the drug traffickers, whom have also been incorrectly referred to as bandits, and decided that he would aid them fearing that if they did not receive what they were after they would return, perhaps in greater numbers, and make a great deal of trouble. In his attempts to allay their suspicions, and get closer to their members, even so far as to uncover who their leader may be, he became addicted to the Shannis. Embarrassed, rightly so, at the way he had conducted himself, he turned to the lizardfolk for aid. He asked to be sequestered until such time as he was able to break the drugs’ physical grasp upon him. In exchange he vowed to speak to Lord Swann on their behalf, something he’d promised to do for quite some time already. Needless to say these lizardfolk are unamused and distrusting of all our kind. Human words no longer carry weight for them. I have promised to bear this message for them, personally, and encouraged them to recognize the Thrician Racial Covenant. I only hope Lord Swann can see the benefit for himself.

In the back of my mind I still feel that someone, Sir Quintus perhaps, did also refer to these bandits, these drug smugglers as pirates. Pirates are plenty, but might these be the same tied to the Tribunisport plot? MacHaven is the drug merchant leader and Connduel is his contact in Tribunisport. I must remember to learn what more I can of these men.

Last edited:

BlackCat

Explorer
RUINED!!! DOOOOMMMMMM!!!

I cast DOOM upon ye, bad sir! Thy spoilers do reek! Reek, I say.

Just kidding! Looking forward to more. Despite my observations on said main SH, I enjoy Bleys' point of view immensely. I really look forward to his growth as a person and Watch- Mage.

Jon

Rastfar

First Post
15, Sek 637 M.Y.

Now I wonder: if these lizardmen are new to the area and are harvesting this pollen, who did they sell or trade it to before? Who did the drug smugglers acquire it from before Sir Quintus? Who harvested it before the Gold Straw tribe moved in? Surely there must be other sources. Obviously this toxic plague will only be cured by burning out the carriers.

At least Valerius’ heart knows its place, if not his mouth. He is a tenacious, courageous, insightful young man. He shows initiative. He would be an otherwise exceptional squire, were it not for his incessant puling outbursts. Sir Quintus does not deserve him. Were I a knight I would have long ago lavished him with praise and curbed his tongue. I must be sure to speak with him in private before we part ways. I feel I owe him an explanation.

I spend much of my spare time today in thought. None of us seem to have too much to say to one another. Victoria still bears some looking after and I am all too glad to do it, as Valerius has taken over the duties of tending our horses. I have naught more to say to Sir Quintus, and the lizardfolk seem to be about tending their daily routine. Odd customs they have. They’ve taken to eating their fallen companion. Surely they are skilled enough hunters, not needing to resort to cannabilism. I see Timotheus is as anxious as I, and looking to spar. I shall avail myself of his tutelage.

Last edited:

Rastfar

First Post
15, Sek 637 M.Y.

Victoria has regained enough wisdom to know when she is being insulted. Perhaps exacerbated by the loss of Argos, she would brook the verbal salvo from Markos no longer. Their scrap ended with her leaving the smaller man unconscious. Though I agree with some of his sentiment, he deserved it.

‘You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.’

As I sit and listen to the cajoling and moaning of Sir Quintus these last few days, it occurs to me that he is symptomatic of some larger problem. How is it that this Shannis has such an enduring effect, one that can run so deep, yet the local constabulary has allowed this drug to be procured in the area? Who is harvesting it all? Where is it produced? How do individuals even come to fathom combining the two ingredients in order to create the drug? Surely, it must be some new dilemma, for no Noble House would allow such a plague to fall upon its peoples for long. I must assume that as soon as this new threat to the people was discovered in the region Sir Quintus was the first to spearhead the stem of its growth. Perhaps he deserves some pity as he may not have entirely understood what it was he was getting himself into.

Rastfar

First Post
16, Sek 637 M.Y.

I used to believe in a lot of things. I realize now that they may have all been childhood dreams. The misperceptions that are becoming clear to me are disturbing to say the least. They clarify my thoughts. But I must continue to believe that they can not all be true; that there is still some hope for the ideals I held dear. I once wished to be the knight in shining armour; a stout warrior, as my father, my brother before me, to make them proud. To ride high on a horse, protector of the people, bringing justice for the innocent, a protector of all things Thricia. My first real encounters with knights have proven them to be anything but, with one exception. I hope Sir Lionel is the paragon I aspire to be. Sir Agamemnon seems not the type; Sir Quintus is a disappointment for sure. And while I never wanted to attend the Academy of Wizardry, I find some solace in the fact that many of the virtues they tout are so akin to mine own personal standards.

Alas, father had another design for me and off to school I was sent. I still do not know how it was arranged that I was to be mentored by Sir Abberd Schemerhorn, but for that I am grateful. Despite my reticence, I came to enjoy my time in the Golden Tower of the West. Though I was forced to return after my third year at the Academy for further tutelage, I welcomed his company, if not his scolding. Yet, at times like this, I even miss that. He gives me hope that there may yet be some purpose I can serve as an Eldritch Knight, as he does.

Last edited:

Rastfar

First Post
16, Sek 637 M.Y.

We have been anesthetized with boredom. Still we tarry; awaiting the release of Sir Quintus as now we are to accompany him as he holds audience with the Lord Swann. And Markos, does he not realize that his continual redundancies belie his intelligence? But I guess I can not expect more. He is not the only impetuous youth with whom I must now suffer; I find them intolerable, exacerbated in packs.

Perhaps my disdain for Telemakhos is unfounded. Or rather, maybe he should not have to endure its wrath as he may not understand my reasoning for it. But as I see it, he should not be here at all. He should be home, ward for my niece and nephew, ensuring that my sister is well cared for. And while I know that it was not he whom married Paulien, he is their closest relative. Surely Sir Agamemnon has many other duties to tend to and is above the responsibility. And of course, even I know that it is impossible for my sister, Spiro and Anders to return home to the Roost. How isolated they must feel, detached, disconnected. They must be so lonely. I pray Isis watch over them and grant Paulien strength.

Last edited:

Rastfar

First Post
16, Sek 637 M.Y.

Timotheus is anxious to invoke some name for this group of adventurers that we are. I do not know that we are necessarily in need of a designation in order to succeed at our responsibilities, though I imagine it must be some homage to the romantic notion of days since past. Heroes of lore as such; still Sorlorn and Amarantha are yet known names to date, having never enjoyed greater glory in a cabal. As it stands some part of his suggestion must ring true in my ear, for I too now ponder it, and as of now even write my reflections. Perhaps all this introspection into my beliefs has impelled me.

Are we not supposed to be the measure of all that is true? The measure of all that is virtuous? The measure of duty, honor, strength, loyalty, compassion, courage, mercy, righteousness? Our birth rank, caste, social standing, verily the Charter we all did eagerly sign, demand it of us. To be noble of blood is not enough; we must be noble in deed. For we are the measure by which all Thricia is judged. We are the measure which the common man looks up to, adheres to, and strives to become. And in honour to, and to remind us of that measure, I say that we should strive to become: The Measure.

‘There is nothing noble in being superior to someone else. Real nobility is derived from being superior to yourself.’

Last edited:

BlackCat

Explorer
The Measure

If you don't mind my saying, I personally think that ROCKS! That of course means that everyone else in the party is sure to shoot it down.

I'm enjoying the inner thoughts and beliefs revealed here as opposed to the objective storytelling in the main SH. Very often it's hard to portray the true motivations of any given character, especially one as complicated as Bleys seems to be. You want to give hints but not be too forthcoming.

So far, so good. More, please. I'm very interested in his reactions to New Harbinger and the Swanns. Can't wait to meet Lord Swann himself.

Rastfar

First Post
17, Sek 637 M.Y.

We have returned to civilization and I can not say that I am overjoyed, though it is certainly not as dreary as our stay in the bog. There must be more thrills in truth to the epic tales of adventure and exploration than this. As I abide it now, we merely travel from city to town, wagging political tongues and nary lift a hand toward the betterment of Thricia. I remain cautiously optimistic. Perhaps this is why the Margrave has assigned me to the Charter: knowing my design, hoping I may in some way drive us from royal courts and feasting halls to frontier lands and ill-omened warrens, pursuing our motherland’s greater good.

As suspected Sir Quintus was more concerned with his own reputation than his word to us. Promptly upon our arrival at the gate, he took liberty to have leave of us, deigning it more important to speak to Lord Swann alone. I doubt any such thing will occur, or if it does, he has at least broken his vow to allow us bear witness on behalf of the Gold Straw Tribe. Apparently, his pride is more important to him than his honour. I shall be anxious to see what comes of it at this dinner party tomorrow evening.

I have learned a little more about the Disputed Territories from the Watch-Mage here, Oroleniel the Salmon. He informs me that a band of adventurers recently returned from said area with sleds in tow. Apparently, they had encountered some fanatics of the Red God and two of their number met their end. Others were badly beaten. Numbering amongst their nine, more than we, were a Moon-Priestess and a Cleric of the Hammer God. We will need to be more vulpine than they should we have hopes of all returning alive.

I barely remember the half-elf from the Academy as he was a few years my senior. He is certainly lonely though. I shall look in on him tomorrow day, perhaps bringing some company. I could not endure his hare-quick nattering long.

Euleria continually impresses me. Besides having the heart to rescue a boy to serve as our porter, she has hired two mercenaries who seem well-suited to our task: Falco and Dunleavy. Though some part of me still remains concerned for their well-being; Timotheus assures me that they know what jeopardy to expect for their coin, and a goodly sum it is. Unfortunately, the more we dawdle about the longer we squander their three daily silvers. We certainly can not go to Tribunisport now, or purchase ferry passage for them, let alone pay them to stand about as we investigate rumours. I do not recall there being a vote taken to use group funds toward hiring these men. What a fool’s idea.

Our rooms are unused dungeon cells. At least they removed the locks from the doors.

‘There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do what they are told and those who can do nothing else.’

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases