D&D 5E Second Sundering: Returned Deities?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm running a Drow game using previous edition material. Basically everyone apart from Lolth died. They came back along with Bhaal, Myrnul etc.

My games set in 1492 DR.

I've recycled some of the NPCs from 2E/3E not that it matters to much. Some got resurrected.

Anyway just because the deities returned that doesn't give much time to rebuild the faithful. Even if deity power isn't tied worshipper numbers anymore I figure the other Drow faiths aren't in any condition for a show down with Lolthites.

Some deities also lost a lot of portfolio's over the years. Cyric for example.

So has there been much done with the lore or any ideas for how things are specifically in the Drow pantheon or overall. Still a fan of the old Faiths and Avatars book.

On a side note, I would recommend Monte Cook's Requiem for a God if you can find it for a reasonable price. It might be useful because it deals with the death of gods, either from murder, war, divine plots or even being forgotten. It talks about things like what faiths might do when their god dies, which may help you with some of this stuff... they also talk about divine sparks and what you can do if you find drops of godsblood or godflesh.

Zardnaar

Legend
On a side note, I would recommend Monte Cook's Requiem for a God if you can find it for a reasonable price. It might be useful because it deals with the death of gods, either from murder, war, divine plots or even being forgotten. It talks about things like what faiths might do when their god dies, which may help you with some of this stuff... they also talk about divine sparks and what you can do if you find drops of godsblood or godflesh.

Sounds decent but would only get that on pdf.

I'm running a Drow game using previous edition material. Basically everyone apart from Lolth died. They came back along with Bhaal, Myrnul etc.

My games set in 1492 DR.

I've recycled some of the NPCs from 2E/3E not that it matters to much. Some got resurrected.

Anyway just because the deities returned that doesn't give much time to rebuild the faithful. Even if deity power isn't tied worshipper numbers anymore I figure the other Drow faiths aren't in any condition for a show down with Lolthites.

Some deities also lost a lot of portfolio's over the years. Cyric for example.

So has there been much done with the lore or any ideas for how things are specifically in the Drow pantheon or overall. Still a fan of the old Faiths and Avatars book.
There's some info in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, split between the deities and races sections. Granted, it's not terribly much.

There's very, very little canonical info on what happened between the the point when the Spellplague set fire to the entire setting and the Second Sundering sheepishly tried to sweep the ashes back together into something resembling the original in time for 5e.

My quiet suspicion is that WotC found it all too hard (especially in the tiny wordcount they'd have available in the rather anorexic SCAG) and decided not to try.

R_J_K75

Legend
Those (3) 2E FR books are still my go to for anything divine for a FR campaign. I stopped reading the novels around 2005 so I lost track of the settings metaplot towards the middle to end of 3E. I just ignore most of 4E and 5E for story lines, though I do like that the amount of deities has been reduced. I have tried to catch up on the events to bring my game to the current time line of the setting but found little information outside of the FR wiki online. It gives you a good start and lists references so might be worth a look there. I always found it odd that FR was always so detailed then WotC decided to advance the time line, kill off major players with such a huge gap in history. I'm lucky though as my current group has little knowledge of the setting outside of what I tell them, but Id like to see an updated timeline/book for the setting.

There were glimpses of what the Eilistraeens were up to in Death Masks. It wasn't much, but from the sound of things, she has retained her followers. I'm going to assume the same is true for Vhaeraun--and there was a chosen of Vhaeraun in The Adversary.

According to Ed Greenwood, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun were held in stasis in the Weave (so they hadn't actually died, though were nevertheless absent), and have now returned and are allied, though they may not always agree on methodology.

aco175

Legend
You could have several of the gods not die off, but just lost enough worshippers to make them almost dead.
1620084006722.png

In order to come back, they needed to gain more followers and a few NPC leaders of that group rise with a small, but enough for a campaign, set of bad guys other than Lloth.

Remove ads