D&D 1E Seeking advice for my first 1e campaign

the Jester

Legend
I'm just going to speak to Unearthed Arcana really quickly.

The only things in that book that are worth using (i.e. not broken) are the thief-acrobat, barbarian, a few of the less outrageous races, the new gear and the many of the new magic items.

DO NOT, EVER, USE ANYTHING ITEMS.

The Survival Guides are cooler, though not exactly full of player content.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
What general advice would you give to a newbie 1e DM?
With just the PHB and DMG, there are tons of things for which there are no rules, either in or out of combat. The UA was primarily character classes, spells, and magic items.

Players have no real skills based on these three books. The DMG has a list of craft skills, but that is downtime related for the most part.

There is no form of spot/search, unless you count a chance of detecting certain dungeon features, so you get to describe everything, and anything you don't, the players don't know about.

There are almost no combat maneuvers. If you want some, you have to make it up or say no when a player asks to charge, or trip, or anything like that. Technically speaking, it's just move, attack roll, attack roll, spell, attack roll, move, attack roll; and just hope that none of your players has psionics.

What particular rules should I look out for?
Good luck with figuring out the surprise rules.

There is no real system for handling for illusions. You'll have to house rule on the spot for many cases. 2e did a better job of it, you may want to grab those rules for 1e.

The random magic item tables can generate an artifact. I recommend ignoring that result. Some other things, like results of Staff of the Magi, or Vorpal Sword, should also be ignored for quite a while.

The Stone of Good Luck looks innocuous, but it's affect on the random magic items table, +/- 1-10 points on the roll as most beneficial, is good for the players and bad for the GM, as it tends to grab the most powerful and best items, especially artifacts, while avoiding all cursed items; which I never liked anyway, but they were a part of 1e.

In fact, it's best not to use the random magic item tables at all unless you're absolutely stumped, and probably not even then.

What adventures would you recommend?
For right after B1 - Keep on the Borderlands:

U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltwater (levels 1-3)
U2 - Danger at Dunwater (1-4)
U3 - The Final Enemy (3-5)

While maneuvering directly from wherever the distant borderlands are to the coastal community might be iffy, I still like these.

Would altering the race/class/level limitations game-breaking?
In the overall game milieu, the multi-class rules in 1e mean that races that can multi-class who do not have level limits will eventually completely eclipse humans (who cannot multi-class; and dual-classing is not that great). This is basically a matter of world design logic.

However, in an actual campaign, if you hand out even XP to everyone, it shouldn't be much of an issue in your actual game.

If you're in any milieu like Greyhawk or even Forgotten Realms, demihuman nations and their relationships and power levels versus human nations won't make much sense, but a lot of groups don't care about that type of issue.

What's the general opinion of the various "Survival Guides" or Unearthed Arcana?
The Cavalier and Barbarian classes in UA are overpowered, even though they are nerfed from their original Dragon Magazine presentations (when they were beyond uber). I recommend nixing them both.

Watch out for, and avoid, the Wand of Force in the UA. Unless you want lightsabers in your game.

The Dungeoneer and Wilderness Survival Guides had lists of non-combat proficiencies.

While a kludge in comparison to an actual skill and task resolution system, the non-combat proficiencies were better than nothing.

They also had lots of mechanics regarding climbing, moving through various terrains, food and water (and locating them), sleep, shelter, beasts of burden, weather, and survival in general. The DSG had an excellent mini-underdark setting in the back, including an equally excellent three-tier map. The only drawback to me was that getting around between some of the encounter areas can be very difficult, and the various groups were pretty isolated (some more than others). If you care about these types of rules, the DSG would be a good extension, and possible additional inspiration for expanding on, D1-3.

From the non-combat proficiencies in the WSG came Alertness, the only perception-increasing ability players can obtain that I can recall. It gave a chance to notice "disturbances", which altered the surprise chance. Now only if the surprise rules made any sense. It didn't matter though, almost every player took this one for his or her character (along with Blind-Fighting, which was useful as it reduced fighting penalities).

Although only a pet peeve of mine, for some reason, the WSG seems to think it takes one shepherd to handle six sheep on the move. That is utter nonsense. One shepherd can manage hundreds of sheep, and more than a thousand with a horse and a sheepdog.

I personally like both books, but remembering all those rules to start out with is going to be quite a task on top of learning 1e in the first place.

Celebrim

Legend
There are almost no combat maneuvers.

Somewhat true but make sure you know the difference between moving and charging and its effects on initiative order.

If you want some, you have to make it up or say no when a player asks to charge...

Err... right.

Good luck with figuring out the surprise rules.

Surprise is easier than initiative, but yeah, those two will be where most of the trouble will lie.

The random magic item tables can generate an artifact. I recommend ignoring that result.

Mainly because the average artifact will simply outright kill a player, especially a low level one; 1e artifacts are closer to Call of Cthulhu magic items.

Some other things, like results of Staff of the Magi, or Vorpal Sword, should also be ignored for quite a while.

Yeah, both are probably considerably more powerful and useful than your average artifact - and are priced accordingly. But on the other hand, I find that 1e tolerates balance being wrecked fairly well.

The Stone of Good Luck looks innocuous, but it's affect on the random magic items table, +/- 1-10 points on the roll as most beneficial, is good for the players and bad for the GM...

I sort of reject that PC's acquiring loot is bad for the GM. If you are using the random treasure tables, then you are also probably using the random treasure alotment tables from the back of the Monster Manual, and if you are I GAURANTEE THAT THE PC'S WILL HAVE FEWER MAGIC ITEMS THAN IN MOST CAMPAIGNS. When the party has to kill 200 bugbears to statiscally average one magic item, or that on average 40 carrion crawlers won't have one, or than on average killing Orcus yields you 2 potions and a scroll, then you'll understand why it doesn't matter too much that there is a small chance of the item being powerful.

In fact, it's best not to use the random magic item tables at all unless you're absolutely stumped, and probably not even then.

I agnostic on the issue. Random treasure on the whole tends to be better 'thought out' than what newbies will dish out, and in my experience is much less likely to result in the normal surplus of good items that newbies usually get themselves into placing treasure.

For right after B1 - Keep on the Borderlands:

U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltwater (levels 1-3)
U2 - Danger at Dunwater (1-4)
U3 - The Final Enemy (3-5)

While maneuvering directly from wherever the distant borderlands are to the coastal community might be iffy, I still like these.

I'm not really a fan of either of them. B1 is a fairly uninspired module that requires an expert DM to elevate above anything but tedious hack n' slash, and while U1 is a good module beware of its numerous save or die effects during the early part of the investigation. Also note that neither U2 nor U3 tend to play well in practice.

In the overall game milieu, the multi-class rules in 1e mean that races that can multi-class who do not have level limits will eventually completely eclipse humans (who cannot multi-class; and dual-classing is not that great).

I disagree with this on two counts. First, that multi-classing as a demihuman very quickly starts to suck. You either hit your level cap quickly, in which case you are now leveling up twice as slowly as you like (probably in a useless class like theif) or else even if you can level up, once you hit name level you start slipping further and further behind your human counterparts. Multiclassing is great at first level when you are essentially a gestalt character and it works well up to about 7th level or so, but after that it stops being so great. Humans vastly outstrip demihumans in power after hitting name level. Secondly, if you have the stats for it (which is rare), dual-classing rocks. The basic strategy I've seen work in dual-classing is to level up in fighter to the point you are happy with it, and then swap classes. You won't be able to rely on your fighter abilities initially, but you will have a ton of hit points and you will have your superior equipment so you won't suck completely. The reason this works is that in 1e, the amount of XP required to get to level n is about the same as required to get to level n+1. So if you get to 10th level, it only takes the same amount of XP to get to 10th level in another class as it takes to get your 11th level. You'll initially sort of suck, but you will very quickly catch up and then you are golden. If you are having problems leveling up a human wizard, its a great way to increase survivability to gain a few levels of fighter and the associated hit points and a few useful items (wands, rings, bracers, etc) first. And combinations like cleric-ranger, ranger-cleric, ranger-thief, fighter-thief, thief-fighter, and fighter-cleric when implemented are among the more outrageous min-maxing I've seen in 1e.

Celebrim

Legend
So, just out of curiousity, I went and rolled up 25 random magic items using the 1e DMG. Given the relative scarcity of magic items in 1e (assuming you're not using a published adventure path), and the relative scarcity of free rolls on the table compared to rolls limited to potions and scrolls, this IMO represents the bulk of the magic items a party would expect to recieve by name level.

The question I wanted to answer was, how much would it benefit the game for me to put my finger on the scale or just select the items. He's the list:

Scroll of protection from Lycanthropes x3
Hand Axe +3
Splint Mail +1
Libram of Silver Magic
Small Shield +3
Sling of Seeking +2
Scroll (1st level M-U spell)
Potion of Speed
Studded Leather +1
Horn of Bubbles
Rod of Lordly Might
Scroll (7th level Clerical Spell)
Potion of Hill Giant Strength
Scroll (1st, 2nd, 3rd level Clerical Spell)
Potion of Heroism
9 arrows +1
Scarab of Protection
Potion of Delusion
Wand of Secret Door and Trap Location (90 charges)
Phylactery of Long Years
Potion of Gaseous Form
Scroll (5th and 6th level Clerical Spell)

The answer is, not much, and possibly not at all. There isn't anything on that list that is game breaking. The best thing on the list is the Rod of Lordly Might (it's better than many artifacts), but given the scarcity of magic weapons in this selection I think it balances out and in fact its pretty essential. There are a couple of high level clerical spells that could be useful for getting resurrection into the party's hands a little earlier than normal, a good selection of consumables, and a bit of armor. The Libram of Silver Magic is probably not something I would of thought to place because its so desirable, but give how early it appears in the list (presumably one of the first magic items the party finds) the issue with the tome is more that its a potential death trap than potentially game breaking. Otherwise it's a free couple thousand XP to the party M-U assuming that he's of the alignment to read it. So I'm good with it. In fact, the only thing on the list I find troublesome is the Wand of Secret Door and Trap Detection, and not because its overly powerful but because its yet another example of 'Being a Thief Sucks' in 1e. But its not that bad, is consumable, and doesn't disarm anything so I could probably live with it.

And, just because someone mentioned it, the same results assuming someone began with a luck stone would be:

Scroll of protection from Lycanthropes
Scroll of protection from Magic x2
Hand Axe +3
Splint Mail +3
Libram Silver Magic (Manual of Bodily Health of non-wizard)
Small Shield +4
Sling of Seeking +2
Scroll (2nd level M-U spell, 3rd level M-U spell)
Potion of Speed
Splint Mail +4
Horn of Blasting
Rod of Lordly Might (or Rod of Resurrection if Cleric or Rod of Rulership otherwise)
Scroll (7th level Clerical Spell)
Potion of Hill Giant Strength
Scroll (4th, 6th, 7th level Clerical Spell)
Potion of Heroism (Potion of Human Control if non-fighter)
9 arrows +1
Scarab of Protection
Potion of Blue Dragon Control
Wand of Secret Door and Trap Location (90 charges)
Phylactery of Long Years (Periapt of Wound closure if non-cleric)
Potion of Front Giant Control
Scroll (3rd, 4th, 5th level Clerical Spells)

Again, not much changes except some cursed items fall out, and the luck stone wielder has slightly better customization options - often however at the expense of someone else in the party. The only thing on the list that I'd be worried about is the Rod of Rulership, but it comes at the cost of the Rod of Lordly Might.

What I like about both lists is that they are interesting, containing both some mundane utility and some odd results. It's certainly a better list than the usual Christmas tree, and I would argue that its a better list than what most novice DM's would produce. So, feel free to experiment with random results. I dare say that if you are just starting out, Gygax's random tables will probably do a better job of planning things out than you will.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'm just going to speak to Unearthed Arcana really quickly.

The only things in that book that are worth using (i.e. not broken) are the thief-acrobat, barbarian, a few of the less outrageous races, the new gear and the many of the new magic items.

DO NOT, EVER, USE ANYTHING ITEMS.

The Survival Guides are cooler, though not exactly full of player content.

Be careful with the barbarian. Even the later Dragon Magazine fix has problems. Raging and magical phobia neither balance themselves nor help the game.

Imagine a F-M who is +2 levels in all combat abilities, but only when combat occurs.

How is this different than a F-M two levels higher?

Imagine a M-U who is +2 levels in all spellcasting abilities, but only when they cast spells.

Same deal as before.

Remove ads