D&D 5E Seeking help with my 7th lvl Vengeance Paladin.

NSleepy12

Villager
Hello and thanks for checking in!

I hope the post isn’t too long but wanted to help those that might help me with as much info as possible.

I am pretty new to 5e but I have been playing D&D for many years. I’m looking for some help with where to go with my character from lvl7 (which incidentally is where I started). I was asked to join a campaign in progress that had someone drop out (they were the cleric). Not wanting to play a Cleric I opted for Paladin. This is an evil campaign (based in Talingarde, I personally don’t know the campaign but it’s out there so please no spoilers, we are almost at the halfway mark of the ritual). I’m about to go to 8 and the campaign is designed to run all the way to 20.

Some background on the character:
Zailaia Umbermoor the Patient

Paladin - Vengeance
Tiefling - Zariel - Cult of Zariel
Dueling Style
Background - Faction Agent - Cult of Zariel Member

Traits—Dislikes those that shy away from battle and especially those that run. Tactical retreats aren’t necessarily running. —Nobody stays angry at me or around me for long, sincecan usually defuse any amount of tension, unless it’s advantageous to keep the tension.
—I love a game of chance, even though I’m not really good at them, this ends up costing me at times.

Ideal—Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings.

Bond—I will someday get revenge on the corrupt (Mitra) temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.

Flaw—Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

STR: 18, DEX: 8, CON: 14, INT: 12, WIS: 12, CHA: 18

FEATS: Polearm Master

Current Preferred Fighting Style:
+1 Infused Returning Spear, Sentinel Shield and Adamantine Armor.

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE?
Don’t think I want to go the Warlock route or even really think I want to multi-class but open to options, especially if they fit thematically.

I was think of going Resilient: CON or Sentinel for my next ASI. Beyond that I dunno really. Any help is greatly appreciated. Tips and Tricks for spell selection welcome 😁

You could go Sentinel (which I find pretty solid, especially if you want to keep those people from running) or maybe Warcaster - you can do any somatic component while wielding a weapon or shield, you get advantage on Con saves to keep concentration, and also instead of an AoO, you can cast a spell at the creature fleeing that has a 1 action casting and targets only one creature.

NSleepy12

Villager
You could go Sentinel (which I find pretty solid, especially if you want to keep those people from running) or maybe Warcaster - you can do any somatic component while wielding a weapon or shield, you get advantage on Con saves to keep concentration, and also instead of an AoO, you can cast a spell at the creature fleeing that has a 1 action casting and targets only one creature.
Thank you for your input.

How would Warcaster work in conjunction with something like Relentless Avenger? Would I still get my move if I hit with an AoO spell that is an attack? Not too many Paladin attack spells, I think. Unless I go Warlock for EB?
And if I did say take Sentinel then Warcaster at 12 would I get a spell as an opponent moves into my reach?

I should go read Warcaster right now....

Arvok

Explorer
Since you already have Polearm Master I would consider taking the Sentinel feat and getting a hold of a halberd. Since it's a reach weapon you can hit an opponent who enters your reach with an opportunity attack, reducing his speed to 0. Then on your turn you can hit him (including a butt strike with a bonus action) and step back. Repeat as needed.

If your DM lets you trade magic items you could probably get a pretty nifty halberd to replace your spear and shield (since you wouldn't be using it much any more). Also, if he lets you use the options out of Tasha's you could trade out dueling style for Great Weapon Fighting or Blessed Warrior or Blind Fighting.

NSleepy12

Villager
From what I am reading I don’t think I would get Relentless Avenger proc’d if I used a spell from Warcaster as it says “rather than making an AoO”. 😢. Still a very viable option though.

Hope this isn’t too much for anyone reading but I have another piece that I’m trying see if I can get more of.
Guaranteed Crit hits—Being a Cult member of Zariel allows me 1/short rest to turn a normal hit into a critical (ferocious surge). Are there more ways to get the same effect?

NSleepy12

Villager
Since you already have Polearm Master I would consider taking the Sentinel feat and getting a hold of a halberd. Since it's a reach weapon you can hit an opponent who enters your reach with an opportunity attack, reducing his speed to 0. Then on your turn you can hit him (including a butt strike with a bonus action) and step back. Repeat as needed.

If your DM lets you trade magic items you could probably get a pretty nifty halberd to replace your spear and shield (since you wouldn't be using it much any more). Also, if he lets you use the options out of Tasha's you could trade out dueling style for Great Weapon Fighting or Blessed Warrior or Blind Fighting.
I know its not necessarily maximizing Sentinel but that still works if they step into my 5’ reach, right? Then I could use RA to move away and they would be stopped?

I do have a Glaive on hand incase I do need reach.

Similar note, In addition I could use the spear of Returning to throw twice, move partial next to someone, hit with blunt end and move away to get ready for Sentinel again?

From what I am reading I don’t think I would get Relentless Avenger proc’d if I used a spell from Warcaster as it says “rather than making an AoO”. 😢. Still a very viable option though.

Hope this isn’t too much for anyone reading but I have another piece that I’m trying see if I can get more of.
Guaranteed Crit hits—Being a Cult member of Zariel allows me 1/short rest to turn a normal hit into a critical (ferocious surge). Are there more ways to get the same effect?
I suspect that you're right that Warcaster gives you a spell instead of the OA, and since it looks like Relentless Avenger requires an OA to happen, I don't know that they substitute for each other. Probably a DM call.

NSleepy12

Villager
I suspect that you're right that Warcaster gives you a spell instead of the OA, and since it looks like Relentless Avenger requires an OA to happen, I don't know that they substitute for each other. Probably a DM call.
Thanks, that’s what I reading too. I’ll still run it by my DM but I’m not that hopeful about it being allowed. Maybe if it was an (rolled) attack spell but even then.

NSleepy12

Villager

Oh, and he did just open up Tasha’s for the game but it wasn’t at creation. I was thinking Blessed Warrior was kind of cool too. It fits thematically as I am not shy about following Zariel and have aspirations to be by her side in Hell.

Arvok

Explorer
I know its not necessarily maximizing Sentinel but that still works if they step into my 5’ reach, right? Then I could use RA to move away and they would be stopped?

I do have a Glaive on hand incase I do need reach.

Similar note, In addition I could use the spear of Returning to throw twice, move partial next to someone, hit with blunt end and move away to get ready for Sentinel again?
As long as you are wielding a glaive, halberd, quarterstaff, or spear (and attacking only with that, so if you multi-class into monk and make an unarmed strike or something weird it wouldn't apply) you get to make an opportunity attack when an opponent enters your reach.

Of course, your DM has final say so you should talk to him before you plan too much. Also, he might let it apply to other weapons. Definitely talk to your DM and tell him what your character concept is and he should help you so that you can get what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with the overall theme.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases