Seeking input on a new sorcerer/wizard spell, all welcome

Synchronicity

First Post
Exactly what it says on the tin. I just conceived of a new spell, and threw it together. This *isn't* a painstakingly crafted, carefully considered work of many hours - just a few minutes of thinking. My problem is that I'm totally drawing a blank on balancing it; I just look at it and my brain fails. I mostly want to know if people would consider it to be balanced, if a spell which does something similar already exists, and so on. Also, of course, any thoughts people might have on improving or clarifying the spell. Help me out, ENWorld! :)

Mental Multiplicity
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Upon casting this spell, the caster fragments their mind into multiple pieces. The experience is traumatic, but offers an unparalleled ability to concentrate on many spells at once.

The caster may choose to fragment their mind either once or twice. For each fragmentation, the caster suffers 3 Wisdom damage which cannot be prevented, and which cannot healed by any means while the spell remains in effect.

Each fragmentation allows the caster to concentrate on one non-epic arcane spell without taking an action; in effect, the spell grants one or two additional standard actions every round which can only be used for concentration on on-going spells. The caster may also cast additional spells with their regular actions without losing their concentration on such on-going spells. Only arcane spells can benefit from the mental multiplicity.

When the spell ends, even if it is dispelled or otherwise ended prematurely, the caster is stunned for 1 round. This stunning ignore any immunity the caster might ordinarily have to being stunned.

XP Cost: 500 XP.

EDIT: Hmm, three extra standards is probably a bit much...I didn't consider the fact that you can have the same spell cast more than once. :p So, edit:

Rather than granting up to 3 extra actions with 2 Wis damage per action, the spell now grants up to 2 extra actions with 3 Wis damage per action.

Last edited:

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Actions are the premium currency in a turn based game.

I don't think it's a good idea to be handing extra actions out at all, especially to just 2 classes. Wizards & Sorcerers are a couple of classes least needing the power boost at high level anyway.

I forget where I read it, but there was a feat allowing your familiar to take over concentration on a spell. You could also turn it into a meta-magic feat.

Sustain Spell

Prerequisites: Extend Spell; Caster level X

This spell is much easier to maintain concentration on, requiring only a Swift Action each round. During this action, you may not only maintain a spell, but also redirect it to a new target, if applicable.

This spell takes up a spell slot two levels higher than normal.

As your spell stands, I think it is actually a bit costly, doing nothing but granting you concentration on a spell for free. Granted, for the cost of one 8th level spell you could have two fully directed Bigby's Crushing Hands. however, I don't see this as being too much more destructive than a crushing hand plus two high level summons. Either way, it would be ideal for a summoner, allowing them to raise defenses, summon from safety, and then controll the battlefield or support their minions.

Synchronicity

First Post
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
As your spell stands, I think it is actually a bit costly, doing nothing but granting you concentration on a spell for free. Granted, for the cost of one 8th level spell you could have two fully directed Bigby's Crushing Hands. however, I don't see this as being too much more destructive than a crushing hand plus two high level summons. Either way, it would be ideal for a summoner, allowing them to raise defenses, summon from safety, and then controll the battlefield or support their minions.

Well, bear in mind that if you take 6 Wisdom damage, it does allow you to concentrate on *two* spells in addition to taking your full round of actions. That's 3 fully directed Crushing Hands, if you don't want to cast any other spells. If you still think it's costly at that point, I think that's a good thing. It's intended to be a spell you need to think about using; I didn't want something so good that it was a total no-brainer.

And yes, it is ideal for a summoner! :D The character I intend to give it to is an epic-level NPC conjurer - I was looking for a way for him to challenge the (also epic level) party by himself, and I'm hoping this may do the trick.

the Jester

Legend
Concentrating on a spell is different from redirecting a spell.

If your intent is to simply allow concentrating on multiple spells at once, I think it's too costly. If your intent is to allow fully directed spells- i.e. redirect as a free action- then I still think it's too costly, but not by as much. :) I think, in this case, that 7th level ought to be good enough.

Synchronicity

First Post
the Jester said:
Concentrating on a spell is different from redirecting a spell.

If your intent is to simply allow concentrating on multiple spells at once, I think it's too costly. If your intent is to allow fully directed spells- i.e. redirect as a free action- then I still think it's too costly, but not by as much. :) I think, in this case, that 7th level ought to be good enough.

Ah, my bad. My intent was to have fully directed spells (provided those spells have a Duration of Concentration), rather than just concentration. And I did originally have it as a 7th level spell, but thought it was too strong. However, that was back when I had it granting up to three extra concentration actions, so with the revision to that, it may be back down to 7th.

I'd also like to say that I'm really appreciating all the input on this. :)

Remove ads