• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Self sufficiency

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
What other maintenance does adventuring gear need? Are you saying that this part of the rule is meaningless?

You need to sharpen and clean your metal tools and weapons. Keeping your chainmail from rusting also seems to me at least to be pretty darned important, and would not fall under repairing it. I could go on, but I think it is pretty clear that maintenance stands for more than simply repairing something which is already broken.

Calion

Explorer
Calion, with every post you make, you are digging yourself deeper and making yourself look more foolish to all the people who know about these sorts of things. Even if you get past your double standard (does the artisan also make his own clothes, and his own books?), your lack of knowledge is truly profound.

This really illustrates the problem here. The standard for the woodsman is self-sufficiency. He is, by definition, not trading with others to get things like books, candles, and clothes. The artisan, however, trades for everything. He makes nothing for himself (depending on exactly what his art is, he may literally not be able to afford to consume his own produce). As I keep saying, however knowledgeable about outdoorsmanship you are (and I don't deny that), you don't understand what's actually being discussed here. Being knowledgable about survival does not make you an expert on the meaning of the D&D rules, and you seem to be misinterpreting them on a regular basis.

Yes, at this current time I do a lot of farming. But there is a ton of overlap there with basic survivalism. Heck, "city" people call me a prepper when all I'm doing is the same thing my family has been doing for 200 years. To me it's not prepping. To me, it's just normal living.

Great! Also not relevant at all to the discussion.

There are literally hundreds of wild edible plants out there that grow naturally, including some really great seasonings like sage. Prickly pear, kelp, dandelion, cattail, chickweed, mushrooms....the list goes on and on and I can make a really great meal without needing to go to my actual garden at all. Fish, birds (eggs), rodents, squirrel, deer, bear, bighorn, wild boar...a plethora of meat is also available without me having to have raised any of it myself as well.

Also great. Does all that qualify as Comfortable, by itself? Or do you need an established homestead? And how long, after moving into a new area, does it take you to find out where all those things are?

Christ, how do you think the first domestication of animals happened in the first place? Do you think some random dude decided to be a farmer one day and poof! Here's your cows and sheep and grain?

Yes, exactly. This isn't something that can be developed overnight, or in a few weeks. It took many generations for people to develop these things, and to breed our modern domesticated animals. Not something that's reasonable to expect an adventurer to do between adventures.

Climate permitting, there is no reason why a woodsman wouldn't also grow a garden and try to raise his own animals.

And yet, not considered under the Self-Sufficiency rules, which limit the character to "hunting" and "foraging."

It's just way easier.

Are you saying that you can't really live a Comfortable life without a garden, because it's too difficult? Strange, that's exactly what I've been saying for many posts now.

That's still part of survival. At least to every survivalist I know. On TV shows that have a month long challenge or whatever you don't see it because it's not worth the time if all you have is a month. But someone who does this full time, every year, all year? Every survivalist would also do those things because every survivalist DOES do those things.

Sure. But would you really call it using the Survival skill? Or would that be the Farming skill? It certainly sounds like the latter to me.

Again, you seem to know a lot about survival and homesteading. But I'm not sure you're carefully thinking about how your experience interacts with the D&D RAW. And you say that people don't do that in just a month. How long do you think the normal time between adventures is?

So stop digging your hole man. You are quite literally arguing from a position of ignorance to a couple of people with actual experience on the topic. It's not doing you any favors.

I seem to know at least as much about the actual subject at hand here: The D&D rules. Your experience is very useful input, but it doesn't override the RAW.

Calion

Explorer
Actually, it's only in the description of the Poor lifestyle. All of the other lifestyles don't say anything about legal protection.

False. Wretched: "Violence…follows you wherever you go." Squalid: "you have few legal protections." Once you have legal protections, it isn't mentioned past that, as all the levels above that are presumed to have them too. So, obviously, someone Comfortable has all the legal protections a Poor person has, if not more.

And really, this legal protection is about your social standing. Historically, social standing and perceived wealth are what dictate legal protections. You could argue that is no different today (many people make such arguments that are compelling).

Yes, exactly.

But again, this should not be part of the discussion because it is not part of the Comfortable or Moderate lifestyle DEFINITIONS in the PHB.

Of course it is. These are all about social standing. It's not just what you can afford to buy, it's about your social standing in the community. The Comfortable level mentions the sorts of people you're likely to associate with. The "Lifestyle Expenses" description says "Your lifestyle choice can have consequences. Maintaining a wealthy lifestyle might help you make contacts with the rich and powerful, though you run the risk of attracting thieves. Likewise, living frugally might help you avoid criminals, but you are unlikely to make powerful connections." Social standing is intimately involved with these rules, and are an inherent part of the definitions.

And you have been repeatedly told and given examples that this level can be obtained in days, not weeks or months. And you have failed to comment on my suggestion to say the first two weeks are Moderate, after that it's comfortable.

I haven't failed to comment; I've said that that doesn't make sense to me. It seems more like Poor for the first two weeks, and then Modest.

Tell me this: Have you, by yourself, using only simple tools like axes and knives, made a weatherproof cabin, solid furniture such as tables and chairs, multiple sets of clothing, candles, and various utensils like cups, bowls, forks and spoons in two weeks, while also hunting and foraging for your food using no firearms or other modern equipment?

If so, I concede the point; an adventurer could get to at least near Comfortable in two weeks. If not, I think my point stands.

Depends on the society. In Waterdeep? Probably not. In towns like those in the Dessarin Valley? Most likely.

Then I think we can agree that an outdoorsman cannot make "nicer clothing," merely the sort of clothing a soldier or laborer might wear. Functional and comfortable, but not something you'd appear in at a party for wealthy people.

Again, food and clothing really isn't the challenge you think it is. At least not in North America forests of today or the last thousand years (look at the historical record of the American Indian tribes such as the Navajo that were nomadic) And there are risks associated with residing in a city. The details of both are left of to the DM to determine for their setting.

But you're asking the wrong questions. Of course an established nomadic tribe of tens of members can reliably find food—most of the time. That says nothing about whether a single individual, in a new area, could find enough food for three good meals a day, every day. That seems extremely unlikely to me.

I could not find reliable statistics, but lots of supporting info, here are scholarly sources on fires in the middle ages;

So we don't know. I certainly don't have a sense that a particular person is more likely to experience a fire in town than in the wild.

Neither are fires, legal protection (except for poor) and many other things you bring up. All of these things are setting and DM specific. If a DM wants his woodlands to be full of bandits and his cities safe havens, then they are. But that not specified in RAW.

I didn't bring up fires. Legal protection is obviously presumed for all levels above Poor. They figured it was too obvious to bother mentioning. Apparently they were wrong. And it's not specified in RAW that there are bandits and monsters in the woods? There are no wilderness encounter tables in 5e?

These are good question IMO. And I go back to the 2 week comment. And if you come back to the same town between adventures then it might only take a day or two (or less) to get back to the standard of living.

2 weeks for comfortable? You haven't read the Comfortable section closely enough, and thought about what it actually implies.

I never missed a meal. And I know you find that surprising, as fiction and entertainment sources always say otherwise.

I do find it surprising that you never missed a meal, in any season, in new or fairly new areas, with no more advanced equipment than a bow and arrow and knife. Is that what you're saying?

I disagree. Using the definitions I posted above and why.

What definitions? Would you care to describe this Comfortable woodland lifestyle, and show how it's equivalent to a room in a nice inn?

If their lifestyle during downtime is important to them, then yes they will take that skill. Who cares? It's like trying to push the rogue who tries to maximize his passive perception.

If it's a meaningful choice to the characters, then why take that choice away from them or otherwise disadvantage or minimize that choice?

Why construct the choices so that they balance toward Survival and away from other skills?

Also, self-sufficient has two definitions according to Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster;
One says take care of oneself without outside aid/assistance. That might infer, but does not require no outside trade or interaction. It usually is used this way when talking about a civilization being self-sufficient (i.e. does it require imports of food etc).
Two says having exteme confidence in one's own abilities.

And the RAW says "away from civilization, sustaining themselves in the wild by hunting, foraging, and repairing their own gear." Obviously trading isn't part of that. That wouldn't be "self-sufficient" by any reasonable definition.

You keep trying to stretch words to fit your conception of what's going on, rather than accept the clear meanings of what's written. Why is that?

Calion

Explorer
*LOL*
That's why several times I have asked if the OP is trying to simulate a lifestyle game or an adventure RPG :)

Caliban's entirely right. You and Sacrosanct are trying to talk up the benefits of homesteading; I'm talking about rules for the few weeks between adventures. Those seem pretty clearly different things.

Calion

Explorer
You need to sharpen and clean your metal tools and weapons. Keeping your chainmail from rusting also seems to me at least to be pretty darned important, and would not fall under repairing it. I could go on, but I think it is pretty clear that maintenance stands for more than simply repairing something which is already broken.

Certainly maintenance is not just repair, but it includes repair. And it's very difficult to do this sort of maintenance and repair on metal weapons and armor in the woods, wouldn't you say?

Calion

Explorer
Oh, Jesus. Sacrosanct deleted all his posts. What a moron. I guess he realized he was being an idiot and got embarrassed. Sad; I think he was close to admitting that you couldn't construct a Comfortable lifestyle in the woods in anything short of several months, and so we could actually start talking about the rules, which might actually have been useful.

Al2O3

Explorer
What other maintenance does adventuring gear need? Are you saying that this part of the rule is meaningless?
Preventing rust from forming on the armour (roll the chain in a barrel of sand), grinding or honing a blade to prevent it from getting blunt with use and washing your clothes would be maintaining them in a constant shape and state during downtime. For clothes I would agree some repairs of wear and tear would be included.

Sent from my Huawei P10 plus

Last edited:

[MENTION=73976]Calion[/MENTION],
No Sacrosanct did not delete his posts, he simple blocked you because he wants nothing more to do with this topic and apparently you.

I don't see any value to continue to discuss this.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, Jesus. Sacrosanct deleted all his posts. What a moron. I guess he realized he was being an idiot and got embarrassed.

No, he just blocked you. And this post makes it clear why; I would too. Do not call other members names, please. Don't post in this thread again.

Calion

Explorer
[MENTION=73976]Calion[/MENTION],
No Sacrosanct did not delete his posts, he simple blocked you because he wants nothing more to do with this topic and apparently you.

I don't see any value to continue to discuss this.

People are so funny. I know why you don't want to talk anymore: You know you're wrong and there's no way you could construct a dwelling and lifestyle that would be equivalent to Comfortable in two weeks, and don't want to admit it. And so you and Sacrosanct run away instead of debating what I think is actually the point of disagreement: How long characters are expected to maintain this lifestyle.

Remove ads