D&D 5E Sell 5th edition to a 4th edition fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric V

Hero
I would at least run one mod in 5e; once you notice how much quicker (and therefore more dramatic) the combat is, you may weigh that against some of the cool things in 4e and find 5e more to your liking. I just feel the narrative moves along better in 5e...I wish that weren't so (I really miss some classes and mechanics from 4e), but it is, at least IME.

Imaro

Legend
As I said earlier in the thread I had posted in precisely two threads on the front page at the time. The other one was the one on the Warlock in which I was praising it.

Interesting because when I look at your latest posts in your profile it seems the majority of your time in the 5e forum is spent either talking about 4e in 5e threads or disparaging 5e. You carefully wording your response to only apply to the "two threads on the front page" doesn't change your wider pattern.

Interesting because when I look at your latest posts in your profile it seems the majority of your time in the 5e forum is spent either talking about 4e in 5e threads or disparaging 5e. You carefully wording your response to only apply to the "two threads on the front page" doesn't change your wider pattern.

Hmm... So on a thread talking about how to sell 4e players on 5e I shouldn't talk about 4e and what sales techniques are doomed to fail - either insults or making promises the game can't cash? Right.

5e is, as I said, from what I can tell most people's second favourite version of D&D (it's my third behind 4e and the Rules Cyclopaedia and beating out oD&D, 1E, 2E, 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder). And I'll give credit and blame where both are due.

Imaro

Legend
Hmm... So on a thread talking about how to sell 4e players on 5e I shouldn't talk about 4e and what sales techniques are doomed to fail - either insults or making promises the game can't cash? Right.

I looked further back than just the current thread... again I am speaking to a pattern you have displayed in the 5e forums... not your actions in one thread

5e is, as I said, from what I can tell most people's second favourite version of D&D (it's my third behind 4e and the Rules Cyclopaedia and beating out oD&D, 1E, 2E, 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder). And I'll give credit and blame where both are due.

I'm honestly curious as to how you are drawing this conclusion?

It's not about giving credit or blame where they are due it's about coming into the 5e forum but contributing very little to nothing productive to the 5e community on a regular basis (and if you have no idea what I am talking about I could pull some of your quotes). I mean you know there's still a forum for 4e right? You could contribute positively in that forum as opposed to beating 5e fans over the head with the supposed virtues of 4e every chance you get in the 5e forums... just saying.

I'm honestly curious as to how you are drawing this conclusion?

That I give credit where it's due? Because I do.

It's not about giving credit or blame where they are due it's about coming into the 5e forum but contributing very little to nothing productive to the 5e community on a regular basis (and if you have no idea what I am talking about I could pull some of your quotes). I mean you know there's still a forum for 4e right? You could contribute positively in that forum as opposed to beating 5e fans over the head with the supposed virtues of 4e every chance you get in the 5e forums... just saying.

Is this a tacit apology for all your comments about 4e over the years? Or is it simply a new strategy - now the anti-4e edition warriors start berating people for not being universally positive. And there's a huge difference between not being excessively positive and not contributing anything productive - adding a dose of realism to threads (such as the "Fighters are a superb class" thread) is contributing.

I ignore 90% of threads in this forum. The two types of threads interest me - threads about the actual design of 5e and threads which overlap with games I consider better. This is an overlap thread. The Fighter thread is making the claim that fighters are a well designed class - and game design interests me. (My 4e retroclone uses a lot of the 5e Rogue and some of the Warlock as base functions). But with the quality of discussion you seem to want in which there can be no criticism there can be little productive discussion about game design.

Paraxis

Explorer
Things I enjoyed from 4th edition that 5th lacks IMO.
  • Mechanical balance, between well everything
  • Math was a primary focus in game design
  • Easy to build and make balanced monsters and encounters
  • Everyone had fun interesting options to choose from, no "I attack it twice, hit, miss, here is the damage."
  • Armor and weapons most all of them had a mechanical point to some character build
  • Engaging encounters design was a focus, no orc guarding a pie type rooms.
  • Magic items, they were a little dull but were geared to level and included in the overall math
  • Traps, were treated like monsters had xp values, and just done better.

Things I like about 5th edition that made my group switch.
  • Speed of play during combat
  • Encourages out of the box thinking by making whats in the box kinda boring
  • Bounded accuracy, when it works and the DM doesn't use magic weapons and armor as presented in the book
  • It's new and shiny

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Great, so after two mod warnings, we still can't stop being passive-aggressive to each other.

I think we're done here. Feel free to pick the topic back up when we think we can talk about D&D again and not about each others' explicit or hidden edition preferences.

klunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads