Sell me on "Buy the Numbers"

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I'm a total fanboy when it comes to customizing characters for D&D. I was a big fan of TSR's Skills and Powers rules, and I recently discovered "Buy the Numbers". What is your opinion of this rule set?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, my opinion can be found in the review I posted about it.

Also, there's a Modern d20 version of the product called Point Buy Numbers, from Better Mousetrap Games, but it oddly doesn't seem to be validated for sale at RPGNow anymore.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Alzrius said:
Also, there's a Modern d20 version of the product called Point Buy Numbers, from Better Mousetrap Games, but it oddly doesn't seem to be validated for sale at RPGNow anymore.

Honestly, it had some serious bugs. It was a great idea, but made some very specific assumptions about playstyle and campaign house rules. I got the impression that the playtesting was limited to the author's personal play group. See my RPGNow review (posted as James Hargrove) for specifics.

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
The only negative thing I can say about BTN is the monk abilities. Since they have prereqs, the player is forced to follow the order in the PH. It is easy to change, but something to keep in mind.

coyote6

Adventurer
What do you want from it?

I didn't like it; it wasn't what I was looking for or expecting ("hoping for" might be a better way of putting it), so I found it quite disappointing.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I cannot recommend this product enough. If you want an old school ranger with both magic user and druid spells, who is not forced into either archer or twf roles, you can do it. If you want a chaotic neutral fighter with paladinesque abilities, you can do it. If you want a cleric with the wizard spell list, you can play one. I DO think some combinations are a bit powerful, and some limitations should be set and enforced by the DM on a case by case basis, but otherwise, it's an excellent product. WARNING: Do not let a munchkin use this product. Someone who likes to make "builds" can create a monster. It's fine for tweaking characters, but can get over the top if someone starts stacking things.

Crothian

First Post
coyote6 said:
What do you want from it?

I didn't like it; it wasn't what I was looking for or expecting ("hoping for" might be a better way of putting it), so I found it quite disappointing.

What were you expecting or hoping for?

I found it to be exactly as advertised. It really just takes D&D and make it a point buy system while keeping the XP system intact.

Remove ads