Sell me on Numenera

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Thanks [MENTION=5265]CharlesRyan[/MENTION], I'll have to point my Local Store to their Canadian Distributor and see if they can get a copy to look at. I'll have my books on the way in August, but I'm curious to see what's changed from the playtest docs to the final system, if any.

Dakion

First Post
I can only reiterate that Monte has already lifted the NDA but only for Core Playtesters and only on ninthworldhub.com at the present time. Because of this, there have been lots of discussions generated about the game on that site. If you have access to read this site, you can probably access what you are looking for on ninthworldhub.com

Monte's blogs post also really reveal a whole lot about the game.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
For those who have local retailers, not sure if this is limited to North American ones, but if you pre-order Numenara at a local retailer, fill out a form, scan the receipt and email the results in, they'll give you a copy of the pdf via DrivethruRPG starting in the release month of August:

Full Details here:
http://www.numenera.com/numenera-pre-orders/

Edit: this is for the Core book and Players Guide to Numenara.
Order either, or both, and get the deal.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
I'm kind of interested in people's opinions of DM Intrusion, actually. It's one of the concepts in the rules that I feel the most torn about. On one hand, I think it will make the game more dynamic. On the other hand, I could see being on the other side of a DM who abused this rule being no fun at all.

From the sound of it, it is more or less the same concept as Fate points from the Fate RPG rules system. In the Fate RPG, you get an allotment of Fate points, and the GM can make "compels" against your character that are some kind of hindrance. You can accept the hinderance, and get a Fate point, or you can buy off the compel spending a Fate point of your own.

It's a lot of fun. It means bad things can happen to your characters and you actually want those bad things to happen, because they're almost always interesting and you're being compensated. The GM is encouraged to do this in a very genre-appropriate manner, and its also a great tool for pacing. If things are getting too easy, throw a compel in the mix. If you want to ramp up the action, compel a PC. If a PC isn't really in the action and might be getting bored, pull them in with a compel.

It's an incredibly powerful GM tool, especially in the hands of an experienced GM. It gives you a good amount of control over the action, and players don't feel singled out by your compels because they're getting rewarded for it. In fact, players are allowed, and do, self-compel quite often in my experience.

Gundark

Explorer
I've heard that the gm doesn't roll for attacks when in combat. Not sure I like this, call me old school but I like rolling to hit the PCs.

Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Perhaps someone can answer a question for me. I probably won't actually play it, but the setting sounds great and I might by it just for reading enjoyment. What are we looking at in terms of page count allotted to setting and total for the book? According to Amazon the list is $60, so I'm hoping its pretty meaty.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I've heard that the gm doesn't roll for attacks when in combat. Not sure I like this, call me old school but I like rolling to hit the PCs.

Is there a way to fix this?
Well, you could always just roll the defense rolls FOR the players if you really wanted to be the one to roll the dice.

mcmillan

Adventurer
Perhaps someone can answer a question for me. I probably won't actually play it, but the setting sounds great and I might by it just for reading enjoyment. What are we looking at in terms of page count allotted to setting and total for the book? According to Amazon the list is $60, so I'm hoping its pretty meaty.

The book should be pretty meaty, I seem to remember a predicted page count being given at one point, but don't remember and am having trouble finding it. Not sure how the breakdown of setting vs rules will be though.

If you're just interested in the setting, you might also want to check out Tales from the Ninth World, a collection of 3 short stories in the Numenera setting.

Remove ads