Sell me on Numenera

Mercurius

Legend
Numenera is 416 pages. That's 416 pages of Awesome.

So of that 416 pages, how much is directly setting related ("fluff")? How much is indirectly setting related ("flavor") and how much is pure game material ("crunch")?

I see there is a worldbook coming out next year, which I'll likely get. But I just want to make sure the book has at least a significant degree of "fluff" and "flavor" and isn't just all "crunch." Thanks.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
You won't be disappointed. The whole conceit of Numenera is exploration and discovery in a world that sits on the bones of eight previous great civilizations. The game would be pretty unplayable if we didn't give you a LOT of world to explore and discover.

awindgate

First Post
Love the idea of gm intrusion gives a mechanic to switch things up for the game if it needs it. I also like how if you roll the dreaded 1 on the 20 sider you know your characters life is going to get a bit more interesting but the plus side is you get exp. for those intrusions sounds super fun

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Not really a useful answer
Don't know that I can give you a better answer. The entire system is built around the players making all the rolls in the game. However, given that the defense roll is a single d20, who rolls it can be easily changed to the DM if your hangup is that you don't want the players making all the rolls.

Edit: But given that there are no "defenses" in the game, if your question is how easy it would be to change the defense roll into a "to hit" roll, then I'd say pretty difficult.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I am very much looking forward to getting the book when it comes out! Several other players in my gaming group also backed the Kickstarter, so we'll probably have enough interest to get a regular game going.

Remove ads