• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on True20!

Vigilance

Explorer
Brutorz Bill said:
Hey Chuck love your products! What True20 stuff have you put out?
What kind of PA game did you run? I think I saw where there is a True20 version of Darwin's World. Any plans for a True20 Blood and Vigilance?

I've done True 20 Blood and Fists, Darwin's World and Legends of Excalibur for RPGObjects, and I did True20 Wild West for Green Ronin.

I get asked about Blood and Vigilance, which is flattering, but Im not sure that would fly. I tend to think people who want Kenson-y supers will gravitate toward M&M.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Vigilance said:
I get asked about Blood and Vigilance, which is flattering, but Im not sure that would fly. I tend to think people who want Kenson-y supers will gravitate toward M&M.

More stuff for me to buy! Yippee!

I'd be interested. I've looked at M&M it's a good game, just not quite the direction my group is going. Now B&V for True20 I could sink my teeth into that one!

Urizen

First Post
I should have a nice little preview for Reign of Discordia here in the next few days for you to sink your teeth into, Bill. ;)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
True20 is my choice on the rare occasion when I want to run a 'rules light' game.

It is a very quick game to make conversions for - so, when I wanted to run my Delta Green game (normally run with Spycraft 2.0) for a bunch of kids at a summer program True 20 was the system I chose - easy enough to convert that I didn't need more than a handful of notes. Ditto for my Steampunk/Spycraft game - I could do a quick conversion and run with it.

Don't get me wrong - I love Spycraft 2.0, but the massive tome is a tad intimidating when you contemplate teaching it to a roomful of energetic twelve year olds. :) The damage save makes survival at low experience easier, and also makes survival at higher experience more difficult. Much of the team got injured early on, and the results dogged them for the rest of the scenario. Being injured has a broad effect on just about everything.

As an aside - the kids in the Delta Green game did a bang up job of planning out their mission. It made me feel guilty as Hell when their beautifully made plans turned out to be for naught, the mission that they were sent on had very little to do with the one for which they had been briefed. (The theme for that summer was 'Things Go Horribly Wrong'.)

The kids did a better job adjusting to the changed circumstances than my regular group did. :)

The Auld Grump

Urizen

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
True20 is my choice on the rare occasion when I want to run a 'rules light' game.

It is a very quick game to make conversions for - so, when I wanted to run my Delta Green game (normally run with Spycraft 2.0) for a bunch of kids at a summer program True 20 was the system I chose - easy enough to convert that I didn't need more than a handful of notes. Ditto for my Steampunk/Spycraft game - I could do a quick conversion and run with it.

Don't get me wrong - I love Spycraft 2.0, but the massive tome is a tad intimidating when you contemplate teaching it to a roomful of energetic twelve year olds. :) The damage save makes survival at low experience easier, and also makes survival at higher experience more difficult. Much of the team got injured early on, and the results dogged them for the rest of the scenario. Being injured has a broad effect on just about everything.

As an aside - the kids in the Delta Green game did a bang up job of planning out their mission. It made me feel guilty as Hell when their beautifully made plans turned out to be for naught, the mission that they were sent on had very little to do with the one for which they had been briefed. (The theme for that summer was 'Things Go Horribly Wrong'.)

The kids did a better job adjusting to the changed circumstances than my regular group did. :)

The Auld Grump

Ya might wanna check out my Technothrillers product if the spy game interests you. I'll be uploading the revised version in the next 24 hours, and then it's off to get printed at lulu.com.

Also, I'll be putting out a Licensed Call of Cthulhu book - Shadows of Cthulhu - very soon, so combine that with Technothrillers and the Revised True20 Core rules, and you would do very well for a True20 Delta Green Game.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
scourger said:
Have you tried Omega World? I would say so, judging from your screen name. If not, give it a look. We had a lot of fun with it, and it is one d20 game I would run or play again.
Brutorz Bill said:
Thanks guys!
I really appreciate everyone's input! (and yeah Scourger, I'm a Gamma Worlder from waay back). It's nice to be able to ask about what else is out there without a thread turning into all that "my system is better than your system" mayhem that I've seen in other forums. The bottom line is about having fun and different gaming groups have different needs. : )
You know, I did a bit of a double-take when I saw Bill's username. I remember his website from the 90s. I was forever looking through his site for Alternity and Gamma World information.

Ahh, those pre-d20 days. I remember them fondly. :)

Anyway, It's good to see you here, Brutorz Bill. And you're right, there isn't a whole lot of game system mayhem that happens here. Sure, every once in a while, it might get heated but most of us know when to draw the line.

D&D v.3.x, D&D 4E, d20 Modern, Grim Tales, Mutants & Masterminds, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, True20, etc. It's all good! It's all gaming!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
GeoFFields said:
Makes two of us. I've really been interested in True20 for quite some time. This thread may have pushed me over the edge.
I haven't bought it either, but now after reading more about it, I'm considering it. Reign of Discordia has me interested in it too.

Treebore

First Post
I have to admit I didn't take a complete look until the free PDF give away GR did, prior to that I only knew what was in the other freebies. Legends of Excalibur is the PDF that I reviewed, and had me darn close to running a True20 Excalibur game. In fact, reading the review again when I looked it up for Bill has got me tempted again.

Mutants and MAsterminds 2E, the only reason I know about that game is because the group I played in out in Salinas, CA playtested it, so my name, and theirs, is in the playtest credits, so naturally I had to buy it. Now Iron Man has my kids and I planning out an M&M game starting after their school year ends this coming week. Plus I am playing in a PL 10 game on line tomorrow night.

The important thing, Bill, is even if you end up not loving the game, you will still have fun playing it while finding out how much you like the system, so it won't be a waste of time, you'll still have fun. IF you end up loving the systems, so much the better.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
You know, I did a bit of a double-take when I saw Bill's username. I remember his website from the 90s. I was forever looking through his site for Alternity and Gamma World information.

Ahh, those pre-d20 days. I remember them fondly. :)

Anyway, It's good to see you here, Brutorz Bill. And you're right, there isn't a whole lot of game system mayhem that happens here. Sure, every once in a while, it might get heated but most of us know when to draw the line.

Yeah, that's me! We had alot of fun with Alternity back in the day. I think my old site is still around, I just don't update it anymore. No time. It was easy for me to convert stuff to Alternity, 3.x not so much for me. I'm hoping True20 will let me do that again.
Thanks again for all the input/info! Urizen looking forward to that preview on Discordia!
Bento, I think I will work on that one-shot playtest idea you suggested. Glad I have tempted you Treebore!
Thanks gang!!

Remove ads