[Sept] What Are You Reading?

Jakar

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
Reading "The Historian", and (slowly) working my way through the "Crown of Stars" series.
From what I hear there is a new Crown of Stars book coming out soonish. Damn fine series of books that one, if a little less known here in Oz.

atom crash

First Post
Last week I finished "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. Absolutely hilarious.

Now I'm reading "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. I read about half of this a few years back and loved it but was unable to finish it -- it's the literary equivalent of eating really rich chocolate cheesecake.

Kesh

First Post
Currently reading The Puppet Masters by Heinlein. Very, very good book, though his writing style is a little sparse for my tastes.

ssampier

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I envy you. I'm really enjoying rereading the books in anticipation of the new on in November, but I always miss that sense of wonder from reading an excellent book for the first time.

I'd agree. I especially got that feeling when
the "Red Wedding" in SoS. I was so emotionally involved in the story that I put the book down and couldn't pick it up again for a few hours. After I came to terms what was happening, I happily continued.

My brother bought me Thud! for my birthday.

Its pretty standard Terry Pratchett, by which I mean its excellent but didn't grab me as much as Going Postal did. Still, it does heavilly feature Commander Vimes, who is my favourite Discworld character by a mile.

My brother is the only person who has the secret of buying books for me. Other people don't dare, as they think there's a fair chance I'll already have it. He however buys me newly released books, as he knows I'm too mean to buy a hardback myself.

I'm now re-reading The Standing Dead by Ricardo Pinto. I'm enjoying the trilogy a lot more the second time round for some reason, but it looks like the 3rd book won't be out for ages yet.

After that, its on to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell Looking forward to it, since most people here seem to like it.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
From what I hear there is a new Crown of Stars book coming out soonish. Damn fine series of books that one, if a little less known here in Oz.

Yep;
The 7th (and hopefully final) boook is due out around February.

This series IS good, but it's very tough reading, due to the fact that the author is a little clunky in getting the "World-Building" info out: she tends to "Exposit" world information, rather than fitting it naturally into the story. (As opposed to Jordan, Martin, or Wurts, who have a much more "naturalistic" way of imparting information to the reader.)

All this is just MHO, of course. Anyone else feel differently? I'd be curious to hear others opinions.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
atom crash said:
Now I'm reading "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. I read about half of this a few years back and loved it but was unable to finish it -- it's the literary equivalent of eating really rich chocolate cheesecake.
I read that about ten years ago. Umberto Eco is one of my favorites, but when I picked up Baudolino last year I just couldn't finish it. I must say, after reading Pendulum you have to wonder what all the fuss is about regarding DaVinci Code.

My literary cheesecake: Salman Rushdie

Remove ads