• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serious question - are you going to invest in D&DNext?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I'm likely to purchase the core books, and take it from there. If it appeals sufficiently enough I will buy more books. It's not going to be an investment unless it really grabs me- otherwise, I'll probably just poach things from it.

Serendipity

Explorer
Nope. Unless it undergoes some freakish metamorphosis between now and release it just doesn't appeal to me at all. After release I might well play it if someone else offers to run but that's as interested as I'm going to get with the game as it is now.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I will absolutely buy the core books, and probably the first several products. D&D is not my main game (that would be Shadowrun, followed by Savage Worlds), but 5E looks like it'll be fantastic when D&D is what I'm looking for.

Abraxas

Explorer
I'll be picking it up cause it looks to be the edition that will bring all my geezer friends back to playing. Plus, my nephew will be starting in at the beginning. He's played 3E, Pathfinder, 4E and playtested D&DN - so far he has said he has the most fun with D&DN.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Allowing that they publish PDFs? Then yes, probably. If for no other reason than to have a convenient way of running Paizo adventures.

If it ends up being good enough, I'll see about converting our 2E Al Qadim game to 5E.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Does "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" count? If so -- "I already have!"

Granted, it's listed as being a preview; but it does say "D&D Next" on the cover, and I did pay good money for it.

Does my having bought that product count as "investing in D&D Next?"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like probably many others - I'll likely buy the core rulebooks.

I won't "invest" in the game unless a group I'm playing gets into it enough to call for buying more materials. In this, it is no different than any other game - I don't buy many supplements for games I'm not playing.

We are in a golden era of RPGs. The marketplace is saturated with so many great games that appeal to so many specific tastes, and well. Because of this, I think what is truly an interesting turn of events is how odd it is to not really be disgruntled, annoyed or feel like a jilted lover when you come to terms with the fact that next edition of D&D is not going to appeal to you. Just sort of a shrug and a disinterested "meh". I wonder how many staunch D&D players are having a response in that general ballpark. If it is of any relevant size, hold onto your hats, because that is probably the worst response that WotC could hope for.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
No.

On a positive note, 4E remains my favourite version of D&D from the past 32+ years. I will stick with it and, if I want something a bit lighter, I have 13th Age.

On a negative note, I have not exactly been enamoured with the "back to the future"-philosophy underpinning Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition's design (aka D&D Previous). I'm obviously not the target market (and if I want to play AD&D I will simply use Swords & Wizardry).

Also, like some others, I also do not consider this an "investment": it's an expense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads