Seriously considering Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition)

Jody Macgregor

First Post
dragonlordofpoondari said:
ug ... you're kidding, right? those usages are actually in the main book? that sounds none too grim and gritty to me.

Don't laugh, I once had a PC beaten to pulp by Snotlings.

One of the strengths of WFRP is that, although it is certainly grim and gritty, it's not so portentous and dark-for-dark's-sake that it doesn't have a sense of humour. There's a reason that Ken Hite quote compares it to Pratchett.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Jody Macgregor said:

One of the strengths of WFRP is that, although it is certainly grim and gritty, it's not so portentous and dark-for-dark's-sake that it doesn't have a sense of humour. There's a reason that Ken Hite quote compares it to Pratchett.

In a way, I like that aspect of it, because it reminds me of some of the more wild things Gary used to put in D&D way back when. Keep in mind that the Orcs and Goblins are the ones who typically use terms like "Gobbos" and "Boyz" (I've seen some Warhammer Fiction that has Dwarves using it, but I don't think that's common) and Humans most typically use "Greenskin" for all the Orcs, Goblins, etc. I do like its darker turns of humor.

shilsen

Adventurer
Henry said:
In a way, I like that aspect of it, because it reminds me of some of the more wild things Gary used to put in D&D way back when. Keep in mind that the Orcs and Goblins are the ones who typically use terms like "Gobbos" and "Boyz" (I've seen some Warhammer Fiction that has Dwarves using it, but I don't think that's common) and Humans most typically use "Greenskin" for all the Orcs, Goblins, etc. I do like its darker turns of humor.
That actually makes it a lot more realistic (not in a mechanical sense, where I really have no interest in realism) for me, since having some opprobrious, and often amusing, names for one's enemies is quite common operating procedure for most cultures historically. Since WHFR does seek to run fairly close to a medieval/renaissance feel, it seems quite fitting.

Elsenrail

First Post
What I hate (actually love) about the Greenskins... is that they are so tough. A few orks can devastate an unprepared party. Especially the iron orks from Parravon (10 damage reduction = 5 TB, 5 plate armor). Fortunately, they are not intelligent even among orks... so some spells that affect mind can be useful.

P.S. What I really like is that the wizards don't have spells like stoneskin etc. flying, protection from missles, enhanced invisibility (almost every mage knows them) etc. which make them a superpower on higher levels (they can easily wipe out a fighter of the same level). In WFRP a wizard has to remeber that - like in the movie "The Two Towers" the fighter must be quick to kill him... but if they are quick enough, he's dead.

Of course I wonder what will the High Magic Lore look like in the elves book. 2008? probably (people on their forums demanded a book about the elves and they said they would do it)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Jody Macgregor said:

Agree, my players believe you have to destroy a snotling nest as soon as possible because they have been over run by them.

kengar

First Post
For those of you worried about Fate Points making things "easy" on the players. Read the section in the book about GM-ing their use. Just because a PC isn't killed, doesn't mean they get away scot-free.

Examples of adjudicating a Fate Point include anything from "The PC is knocked unconscious and out of the fight." to "His inert form is dragged off, stripped of all useful gear, bound and gagged as a prisoner and left in a cellar awaiting a horrific ritual that turn him into a mutant."

Also, players should see maybe 1 new Fate Point only after accomplishing something major! Like stopping a demon from destroying a city. Rescuing the peasant from beastmen doesn't get you another FP. I'd say every 6 months or year of game play might see a character getting a new FP. They'll probably never have again as many as they had at start of play.

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Elsenrail said:
If You choose to be a fire mage, then 2 fireballs will cause a problem.. to Your opponents. ;) It's the perfect way to get rid of an enemy spellcaster. 2 fireballs almost always do the job in one round. And I don't speak of 3 or 4 of them. Now I see why bright wizards are so valuable on the battfield. Our party's mage is like a cannon... and he often rolls the Fury rule. Madness! (he has only one Insanity Point, had the minor Tzeentch curse only once... though he casts tons of spells). He killed a river troll with one fireball spell. Now the GM has to remind him that this is not the DnD game and he is not all powerful. My priest of Ranald is a man of charm... though his crossbow can deal some damage. ;)

Your party mage is very lucky...so far!
Wait until Tzeentch sets his eye on him and he ends with major curse!
Or until some Withhunters decide to ignore that he is from a collegue and feed him his own fire.

Back in 1ed I had nice little Dwarven judical Champion who killed Black Orcs without sweat before Breakfast. Used to taunt the Gamesmaster...
Then he and his group went against the Skaven and things went downhill.
In the end even his 3 Arms and 2nd Head (aquired on the way, thank you warpstone)couldn't help him against Clan Moulders Beasties.

See, this is warhammer. Nothing bad happend yet, but it surely will if the dice forsake your wizard player or the DM gets fed up with his monsters being burned to cinders.

Remove ads