Seriously considering Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition)

the Jester

Legend
Zinoviev Letter said:
By the way, if you can pick up the Enemy Within Campaign I can almost guarantee that you will love it... It would be more effort to convert them for DnD but it might work if you limited the magic available and were very, very miserly with experience rewards - has anyone tried this?).

omrob's old 3e dnd game was set in the WFRP milieu, and I believe he was intending for us to eventually get to it... he did a conversion of the Doom Stones campaign. Unfortunately, his car was stolen with all of his gaming stuff in it, and when they recovered the car, the only thing missing was his bag of gaming material. :( So we never got to finish the campaign.

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Ourph said:
I WISH Chris and Green Ronin were more involved with the ongoing development of the WFRP line. The core book is excellent (more typos than I would like, but still, on the whole, excellent). Subsequent releases have been disappointing, both in the quality of their editing and the quality of their content. IMO, most of the supplements are about 20% "GREAT STUFF!", 30% "Eh, this is OK", and 50% "Ugh! My 10 year old nephew writes stuff that's better than this (and with fewer spelling errors)". The notable exception so far has been the Old World Bestiary, which I highly recommend.

Actually Green Ronin does all the Warhammer FRP Stuff! See Green Ronin Warhammer FAQ .

And I find that Green Ronin does a remarkable Job with the 2nd Edition Products, given that they have to incorporate all the History of the Old World of all the Warhammer Tabletop Books and all the Novels and make them appelealing for Warhammer Newbees and Old Campaigners. And on top of all the "Fluff" that they have to add good "Crunch" ie. put all the Fluff into 2nd Ed. rules.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
A fun, fun game - perfect for a break from D&D. Your character probably won't advance to the status of great heroes, but more likely sort of slide along. Even as they become more competent, injury and sanity will take their toll. But that's part of the charm - instead of becoming rich and famous, your bragging rights revolve around what kind of terrible situations you have survived - just like war veterans.

A common feature of the WFRP campaigns I have been involved in is that sooner or later the PCs seem to end up as fugitives from the law - even when that wasn't actually the intention from the GM. I don't know why, but it almost seems like a law of nature.

And to get into the proper mood, I can recommend the following two connected essays. They are about the 1st edition, but still valid:

How James Wallis Ruined My Character's Life

Yes I Sank Your Barge

They capture the mood of the game very well.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Chainsaw Mage said:
Does anyone here play this? Anyone know anything about it?

[BTW, what's the story with the Black Industries/Green Ronin thing? Which company actually makes Warhammer FRPG? And how does this relate to Games Workshop?]

Yes, I play it. It has replaced (GASP!) D&D as my current fantasy rpg. I love it because it lends itself to playing a combination of Call of Cthulhu and D&D, which me and my players enjoy.

The GRR/BI/GW thing is quite simple really. Games Workshop owns Black Library, which produces books for the Warhammer franchise. Black Industries is the gaming part of Black Library. Black Industries have contracted the development of the WFRP game to Green Ronin.

So the chain is GW to BL to BI to GRR and back again. :D

While I love the game, I have yet to type up a lengthy explanation as to why, but check out my blog (the second link in my sig) to sample my take on the setting.

/M

Breakdaddy

First Post
A wonderful game! Very grim and gritty, though. It doesn't do High Fantasy as well as D&D, C&C, or True20 IMO. But damn, it does low to mid fantasy stunningly. Combats are fast and brutal, character generation is a breeze, and the rules are easy to keep track of without hitting the books (as long as you have a referee's screen for tracking crits in combat).

Rykion

Explorer
My first response to the cancellation of Dungeon and Dragon, was to change my planned campaign to WFRP 2nd ed. It's a very fun game. It does grim and gritty very well.
pawsplay said:
Nitpics: I like Fmir, and I will miss the Jabberwock.
The Jabberwock exists in 2nd ed. It can be found in the Tome of Corruption.

Kafkonia

First Post
I do like the character creation, but even though I'm tiring of d20 I'm growing increasingly wary of picking up new systems. I may but it and see if I can adapt it to a system I'm already familiar with, GURPS or BRP might fit the feel well.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
What kind of player base is there in North America? (I'm in Canada, FWIW).

I've heard it said that Warhammer FRP is popular in Britain, but almost totally under the radar here in North America (despite the wild popularity of the wargame).

Thomas Percy

First Post
I was playing Warhammer 1st and 2nd edition. Imho 2ed is much better when we talk about rules, and have the same interesting game world when we talk about setting.
I'm not kind of player who feel good in dark mood for more than 1-2 game sessions, so D&D :D .

Remove ads