• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

{Settings Tournament} Round 5 - Finals! Greyhawk vs. Planescape

Which do you prefer?

• Poll closed .

howandwhy99

Adventurer

I consider myself a Forgotten Realms/Planescape DM; that's where I did the vast majority of my DM'ing. But given the fact that Greyhawk is winning, doesn't it make sense to have WotC (or Paizo!) put out some new Greyhawk material?

I would think there is enough demonstrated interest here and elsewhere that we should get something "new" in the original D&D world. B-)

We can but hope, TC. I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Joe / GG

Mercurius

Legend
I consider myself a Forgotten Realms/Planescape DM; that's where I did the vast majority of my DM'ing. But given the fact that Greyhawk is winning, doesn't it make sense to have WotC (or Paizo!) put out some new Greyhawk material?

I would think there is enough demonstrated interest here and elsewhere that we should get something "new" in the original D&D world. B-)

I hate to be the one to say it, but I don't think EN World is particularly representative of the D&D fan-base as a whole. I'm guessing the WotC give a more accurate cross-section; we're more "elite" here ;-). Actually, it would be interesting to run the same tournament on different sites and see the results; I imagine RPGNet and EN World would be similar, with a lot of crossover posters, but WotC might offer something a bit different, and Golarion would clean up at Paizo.

That said, I do think WotC should publish a kind of deluxe hardcover Greyhawk product, maybe in the $50-60 range, that gave Greyhawk the kind of high-production treatment that its never really had, but we've seen with the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Golarion, etc. Hmm...this gave me a thread idea...

Greyhawk for sure, although I do enjoy Planescape from time and again. I have used Greyhawk for almost 35 years now for many campaigns.

What they (WotC) should do is re-release the original Greyhawk Boxed set but instead of the original paper version of the Darlene map - the greatest commercial map ever - the map should be...wait for it....a rollable mat that is also water marker-able. I'd drop $200 for something like that in a heartbeat.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Greyhawk for sure, although I do enjoy Planescape from time and again. I have used Greyhawk for almost 35 years now for many campaigns.

What they (WotC) should do is re-release the original Greyhawk Boxed set but instead of the original paper version of the Darlene map - the greatest commercial map ever - the map should be...wait for it....a rollable mat that is also water marker-able. I'd drop $200 for something like that in a heartbeat.

Welcome to ENWorld, Dweller! I didn't think they had the Internets out there in the butt-end of Keoland!

Alizaire

First Post
The reason Forgotten Realms gets played more imho is...

That they have more books written for it, work on the product more, and issue more accessories for it. It's not hard to see that the 3rd generation of gamers use it as their main home world for campaigning. Greyhawk was left to rot except for the Living Greyhawk Campaigns and a half-hearted reboot. If you don't make content for it consistently it's no shock that the younger generation of gamers won't call it home. Now WoTC may have it's reasons for this (some I'm sure are rooted in who has rights to what).
I personally love Greyhawk more as it's the grandaddy of them all (not counting Blackmoor). It has that loose and wild west element to it. Not everything is explained to the nth degree, etc. Many more spaces to fill in the blanks with if you're the DM. I wish they would republish all the old modules / content in 3.5 and 4th Editions for at least PDF download. You talk about making a M.I.N.T. I would GLADLY snap them up to save me the conversion time. I think people want content available in cross-platform mode so they can snap it into whatever D&D version they run their campaign.

Just my two cents.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Can't believe I missed out on this tourney. I would have voted GH all the way! It's my favorite D&D setting of all time (although Eberron is a close second with all the steampunk-esque stuff). Go with the setting of the game's creator, E. Gary Gygax, R. I. P.

Unfortunately, it is hard for me to persuade folks to play a Greyhawk campaign these days. Everyone wants to play Pathfinder and I really don't see the system as being compatible with the setting (neither was 3e for that matter either). GH had the assumption of PCs building castles upon reaching "name level" and creating demesnes of their own, and as such, there was a lot of open space for them to do so. Settings these days often have everything filled in, described in great detail (see Pathfinder Chronicles for a good example, and there are others). Perhaps if TSR had possessed the staffing necessary to do so in its early days it might have fleshed out GH more, but part of me believes that Gary wouldn't have wanted things that way. Regardless of how it might have been, GH remains my absolute favorite D&D setting of all time.

(If you want to talk other RPGs though, Rifts Earth is my favorite RPG setting of all time. I've never seen a more creative post-apocalyptic setting.)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Unfortunately, it is hard for me to persuade folks to play a Greyhawk campaign these days. Everyone wants to play Pathfinder and I really don't see the system as being compatible with the setting (neither was 3e for that matter either). GH had the assumption of PCs building castles upon reaching "name level" and creating demesnes of their own, and as such, there was a lot of open space for them to do so. )

Not compatible? I can see that you don't get class-based benefits from building a stronghold, but I don't really see why either 3e or PF would be incompatible with building one.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
GH had the assumption of PCs building castles upon reaching "name level" and creating demesnes of their own, and as such, there was a lot of open space for them to do so.

::dawn breaks::

...OH. Why has no one explained that to me before?! It makes so much sense!

Airwalkrr, you may want to check out Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign.

Remove ads