Shackled City Epic: "Vengeance" (story concluded)

Who is your favorite character in "The Shackled City"?

• Zenna

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Mole

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Arun

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Dannel

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Other (note in a post)

Votes: 6 6.6%

Richard Rawen

First Post
Most Definitely a "Huzzah!" Ya know I got to thinkin about it, with all the doom and gloom and darkness that these folks (all of them) have gone through, it just makes the few bright moments shine all the more brightly!
Good Stuff LB!

Lazybones

Adventurer
Meanwhile, back on Occipitus...

Chapter 607

Graz’zt was gone.

A terrible quiet returned to the great hall. Arun fell to his knees in front of the iron throne, his body shaking. Dannel and Mole stood, a bit unsteady still from the aftereffects of the power of the Heart. Lok slumped to the ground, freed from the grip of the terror that Graz’zt had cast into his heart, replaced by an overwhelming weariness. Callendes lay where he had fallen, amazed to still be alive.

But for the others, there would be no respite. The Voice, torn asunder by the Prince’s black blade. Umbar, returned now to his natural size, lying in a pool of his own blood, his heart pierced by a deadly thrust. Beorna… Their gazes did not linger there, until Mole mercifully covered her head with a spare cloak.

Cal came forward. The others turned to him, all save Arun, who did not move, his head bowed in grief.

“It’s gone,” Cal said. “The dimensional lock on Occipitus.”

“So we can go home?” Mole asked.

Cal nodded.

“This was supposed to be the end,” Arun said, not lifting his head, his voice pitched low so that the others had to strain to hear. “It was supposed to end here.”

“Arun…” Dannel began.

“This was supposed to be over!” Arun shouted, his rage exploding out of him as he leapt up, his hammer springing into his hand. “It was supposed to be over here!”

The paladin lashed out, slamming his hammer into the throne. The iron buckled before the holy power of the blow. The companions could only watch as the paladin unleashed strike after strike, with all of his strength behind each impact. Within moments, all that was left of the throne was wreckage, until there was nothing left to destroy but a misshapen lump of metal. Arun sagged to the ground, his hammer falling from his fingers to clatter on the ground.

“We can raise them,” Cal said. “Umbar and Beorna…”

A faint tremor shook the chamber.

“Uh oh,” Mole said.

The tremor returned, building in strength. The floor began to shift beneath their feet, and a loud creaking of protesting iron sounded all around them as the movements of the Skull tormented its iron skin.

“What’s going on?” Dannel asked.

“This place,” Cal said. “It too was held together by the epic magic… it’s coming apart!”

Dannel helped Callendes to his feet, and turned toward the exit. But the iron plating surrounding the spiral stair was already beginning to buckle. “No time… we need to get out of here right now!” the elf cried.

“To me! With the lock broken, I can teleport us out of here!” Cal shouted.

“Not without them!” Arun said, gesturing toward the limp bodies of Umbar and Beorna. The noise around them was becoming defeaning, until even their shouts could barely be heard. One of the iron balors toppled over, crashing loudly upon the floor.

“I cannot take everyone!” Cal replied.

“The bag of holding!” Lok exclaimed as he rushed over to rejoin them, already holding the large cloth sack.

“Quickly!” Dannel urged, as Arun and Lok slid Umbar head-first into the bag. He barely fit, but once through the mouth of the sack he quickly vanished into the extra-dimensional space within. They turned to Beorna, but were nearly crushed as a large plate fell from the ceiling, smashing into the floor a few feet away.

“Never mind!” Cal shouted. “Hold her... I think I can get all of you! Mole, get back, join the circle!”

The gnome rejoined them, dragging Aludrial’s Shard behind her. She’d also grabbed a black gem that had emerged from the ruins of the throne when Arun had destroyed it; that prize vanished into a pocket as she reached the others, touching Lok just as Cal was summoning his magic.

“If this doesn’t work, we’re going to have a real big problem,” Dannel said, looking up as a massive segment of the ceiling buckled and began to collapse downward.

The air shimmered, and they disappeared just as thousands of pounds of metal came crashing down, obliterating the chamber.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Reeaaaallly like the way you handled that LB. I think it was great that you showed that big G Could be defeated and yet gave him the resources and power to Avoid that fate. You don't get to be a demon Prince by being careless or over-confident.

That said, I TOTALLY empathize with Arun!

thanks for an early update, will there be a Friday Cliffhanger?

Great final on Occipitus, LB. Although I don't think it's over until...well let's say, until either the companions or Graz'zt's rivals destroy what's left.

Also, I don't like this:
Lazybones said:
She’d also grabbed a black gem that had emerged from the ruins of the throne when Arun had destroyed it; that prize vanished into a pocket as she reached the others, touching Lok just as Cal was summoning his magic.
I have seen my share of evil, cursed or similarly destructive black gems... :]

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 608

The companions materialized on the open plain of Occipitus, with the cracked marble columns and crumbling walls of the celestial cathedral forming a backdrop behind them. Their gaze was drawn to the skull, which was continuing a general collapse, its iron skin sloughing off in great pieces that plummeted down to the ground below. Demons by the thousands were being crushed by those massive shards, and more were charging away in a blind, chaotic rush.

“Looks like they haven’t figured out that they can teleport again yet,” Mole observed.

“They will,” Dannel said. He looked up at the sky, where knots of flying demons could be seen in scattered groups in every direction. “And they’ll know we’re here, in a moment or two.”

“I have one more teleport, and can take us to the Bastion,” Cal said. “Maybe Saureya can plane shift us back home…” The archmage silently cursed himself for not memorizing the spell himself; both Umbar and Beorna had possessed it, and he had not planned on a contingency when both of them had fallen, and yet he remained alive. He could gain it from his spellbook, given time, but time was likely something that was not going to be available to them in great quantities.

“If he’s still there,” Dannel returned. “If anything’s still there.”

“Even without Graz’zt, his legions remain a potent force,” Callendes said. The avariel had lost his bow in the battle, and with Dannel supporting him, he looked thin and frail.

“If they come at us, we’ll deal with them,” Lok said, tightening his grip on his axe. Coming from anyone else, the statement would have been bravado, but from the genasi it was a simple statement of fact.

“Look!” Mole shouted, drawing their attention back to the Skull.

White flashes erupted in the sky around the collapsing mountain. When those bursts faded, they revealed white-winged beings that shone with a golden radiance that was clearly visible even miles away. Their nature and intent was immediately obvious, as the newcomers and the demons started to exchange holy smites and unholy blights even as more of the flashes continued to disrupt the Occipitus sky.

“Celestials!” Dannel said. “Dozens of them…”

“But… who is bringing them? Did Saureya get a call for help out?”

Callendes shook his head. “No,” he said. “The Herald.”

A loud noise like an earthquake reached them, drawing their attention back to the mountain. Slowly, but picking up momentum as it progressed, half of the upper portion of the Skull broke away and slid down the ruined mountain’s face. As it fell clear, the pillar of burning fire within became visible as a bright flash that extended upwards into the sky. The pyre twisted and touched the dark clouds that had gathered around the dark presence of Graz’zt, and as the flames pierced that shroud, the darkness fell back. The sky above, streaked red with chaotic surges of energy just a short time before, was revealed as a golden dome that unleashed a soft pleasing radiance upon the plain below. As that light fell upon the fleeing demons, they grew disheartened, and fled cowering. There were dark flashes as those that could teleport realized that they could escape, and they vanished from the mass to seek shelter in the far corners of the plane.

Unfortunately for them, there was no place upon Occipitus where the gaze of the celestial host could not find them.

The companions watched in amazement as the demonic horde was routed, as the celestials, now numbering over a hundred that they could see, unleashed righteous destruction into their ranks.

“I don’t believe it,” Dannel said. “We did it… we won!”

“Heh, I never doubted it,” Mole said, with a wide grin.

But Arun did not smile, and his gaze did not shift from the ruins of the Iron Skull, his fists locked around the shaft of his warhammer.

Cool, it's amazing, Lazybones, with how little words you can give so much background to the world and the chase of Big G. Seems that although our friends are now powers in their own right, there are still always things that are bigger & stronger. If only for a while... ;)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Well, I'll admit a bit of fear yesterday as I tried and tried to access the update only to fail and fail ...
Then I see this update and my spirits lifted high!
Then I read this update and . . . Yikes! C'mon guys, it's just a big kitty!

Part of me is disappointed not to get to read your wonderful prose in describing each encounter as they chase the BBEG accross the cosmos, yet I have no doubt that we'll enjoy the final scenes as they unfold.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Here's the update from yesterday, postponed due to the board crash:

Chapter 609

The name of the world was Agamatheo, which in a now-dead language meant, “Orb of Beauty.”

If anyone alive had still spoken that tongue, they would have thought the name ironic, or at the very least tragically inappropriate. The world Agamatheo was mostly ocean, with only a few rocky spires where the tips of great mountain chains jutted out from the vast expanses of blue. Under those waves lay the ruins of civilizations, places where quiet and somber humanoids had lived out their lives in the way of most sentient races across the multiverse. That was before the waters had risen, as the world’s rising temperatures had melted the great sheets of ice that had perched atop the small continents that existed at its poles. The people of Agamatheo, while they lived upon the land, had been creatures of the sea, building their towns and cities upon the border of land and water, enjoying the many and diverse fruits of the great ocean of their world.

Now, nothing was left of that race, and little survived within the planet’s waters. The few things that remained were twisted and warped monstrosities, foul creatures that remained in the lowest depths, living in a state of constant and voracious hunger, with only each other to prey upon.

Great slicks traveled across the world upon the ocean currents, and where they went a great stench accompanied them, and nothing lived. Some of them burned as they moved, filling the sky with great plumes of black smoke. Violent storms covered the sky, blasting what few land masses remained, and churning the ocean into an angry froth as they crossed back and forth across this ruin of a world.

The largest of the remaining bits of dry land was a vast black spire that rose up out of the waves on the world’s southern hemisphere. It had no name; back in the old days of Agamatheo it had been a sacred place to the world’s inhabitants, but that reputation had fled when its current inhabitant had arrived here. The mountain was cold, barren rock, and nothing clung to it save for toxic black sludge and acrid crusts of minerals that burned bare skin. The highest point atop the mountain was a jagged spike that rose a thousand feet above the waves, overlooking a jutting bluff a mere few hundred feet high, perhaps a thousand yards square. Upon that rare bit of flat terrain stood a fortress of black rock.

The place was well-suited to the surroundings of Agamatheo, with stark, angular walls surrounding a trio of thick towers that formed a tight cluster within. The only openings were narrow slits in the walls and high upon the towers, all of which were sealed with heavy iron shutters, and a dark passage at ground level that was deeply recessed into the base of the wall, a dark mouth that seemed to radiate malevolence. No lights shone from the shuttered windows, no guards patrolled the walls or crenelated tops of the towers. The place seemed deserted, a lonely and eternal witness to the death of an entire world.

The empty solitude of the place was shattered as a portal opened in the air a few inches above the rough wind-swept surface of the bluff. Eight individuals stepped through the gate, which closed behind them.

“Dana?” Lok asked.

“He’s here, or he was when I opened the gate,” the priestess replied.

“He’s here,” Benzan said, almost in a whisper.

“Want me to go inside and take a quick look?” Mole asked.

“The entire fortress is warded against magical transportation,” Dana said. “Or I would have taken us directly to him myself.”

“If he knows we’re here, he may have already fled,” Dannel said.

They looked to Cal, who was already casting. The gnome had brought with him a short staff, perhaps four feet in length, which he placed before him on the rough black stone. The staff, which appeared to be crafted of a pale, gnarled wood, stood perfectly balanced as he withdrew his hands and wove them in a complex gesture before him.

The spell took almost a full minute. Finally, the gnome clapped his hands together, and sagged backward, almost falling before Lok gently caught him. “Are you all right?” the genasi asked.

“Sorry. I guess I’m still not used to these epic spells.” The wind gusted, and toppled the staff; as it fell it dissolved into a fine ash that formed a plume across the bluff, and then was gone.

“Will it hold him?” Arun asked.

“I don’t know. I think I got the entire perimeter. You were right about the wards, Dana; they are infused into the very fibre of this place.”

“It won’t help him,” the priestess said, leading them toward the dark opening that gaped before them.

Mole sidestepped to avoid a small puddle of black goop. “Ugh, this place stinks,” she said.

“Agamatheo was once a place of beauty and peace,” Dana said, her voice taking on a distant tone. “Another world destroyed by Graz’zt, just to satisfy the evil lusts of his corrupt ego.”

“It is in the nature of fiends,” Beorna said. “They destroy all that they touch.”

“It’s worse than Karoth,” Dannel said. “I thought that I would never see a sight more depressing than those corrupted trees, but this place, somehow… it’s more sad.”

“I miss Umbar, he’d have something pithy about ‘duty’ to say right about now,” Mole commented, as they drew near the entry. Dana slowed, letting the others fall in close behind her.

“Cauldron needs him more than we do,” Arun said. The paladin looked troubled.

During their absence upon Occipitus, the troubled city had befallen new woes that threatened the success of its rebuilding, and it needed strong leadership more than ever. None of those present questioned Arun’s commitment, or Beorna’s, to their quest. If anything, Arun had become all but obsessed with tracking down and destroying Graz’zt. But as the chase had continued across the planes, with the fallen prince leading them from one bolt-hole to the other, it had become obvious that Arun’s focus was masking a deeper weariness, or even a blossoming despair. After Graz’zt had escaped them in the sinister forest of Karoth, Arun had insisted that Umbar remain behind, to help those who were working to rebuild Cauldron. Beorna shared his concern as well; not only had the humanoid incursions from the Alamirs intensified, but there were reports that another access point to the Underdark had been opened near the city.

Umbar had not accepted the order gracefully, but ultimately a command from a Chosen had to be obeyed. As for Beorna… well, Mole’s comment that the argument between her and Arun could have been heard in Almraiven was not that far off.

“Well, let’s get this over with,” Dana said, starting toward the entry.

“Wait,” Benzan said. The companions froze, weapons and spells held in readiness.

“What?” Mole asked, after a long pause.

But then they heard it, a faint creaking that sounded deep within the bowels of the fortress. Fully alert, they waited for a long minute, but the noise faded and nothing emerged from within to menace them.

“All right, let’s go,” Arun said.

The dark tunnel was oppressive, the air thick with a musty dampness that clung to the bare stone walls. Fully thirty feet inside they encountered a set of huge doors of black metal, which stood slightly open. They creaked loudly as Lok pushed them wider, enough for them to pass into the space beyond.

“Not very good security,” Beorna said. “You are sure he’s here?”

“He had the power to block the spell, before, but I don’t know of anything that can send a false positive for a discern location,” Dana said.

“Again, he might have left when we arrived, leaving a trap for us,” Dannel said.

“If it’s a trap, we’ll find out soon enough,” Arun said, pushing past Lok into the chamber beyond the doors.

The room was roughly circular, with a very low ceiling around the edges that rose to a buttressed dome in the center maybe twenty feet above. Dark shafts penetrated the ceiling around the perimeter, from which a constant drip of moisture sounded. The floor was uneven, with dips and ridges forming a minature landscape that was slick with frequent puddles. The construction was all of huge stone blocks, slammed together with rough edges that the builders hadn’t bothered to trim. The only exit, other than the potential of the narrow shafts, was a recessed doorway opposite the entry. An iron portcullis had apparently once blocked that route, but now only rusted remnants of broken metal lay smashed on the floor.

“Creepy,” Mole said, summing up the feelings of the companions quite effectively.

The situation got a whole lot creepier a moment later, when a scraping sound drew their attention to the dark doorway.

“Something’s coming,” Arun said.

“Y’think?” Mole said, before she shimmered and vanished. Benzan, too, disappeared, as he cloaked himself in greater invisibility.

Communicating only with a few subtle gestures, the warriors spread out facing the doorway, while the spellcasters remained back in the cover of the entry. They had layered multiple wards upon the group prior to coming through Dana’s gate, but in anticipation of combat they quickly summoned a few more short-term magics, including a haste spell from Cal.

Dannel infused one of his arrows with a light spell and fired it into the shadowed archway.

The arrow embedded itself into the stone a short distance beyond the arch, its radiance revealing a broad staircase that descended as far as they could see. As the darkness receeded, it revealed the source of the noise they had detected.

It was a creature, formed roughly like a great cat, albeit one that stood six feet tall at the shoulder. Its body was covered with silvery-gray scales reminiscent of dragonhide, covering massive muscles that rippled under its hide as it moved. Its face was an expression of ferocity, dominated by huge jaws that trailed gobs of saliva that sizzled when they hit the damp floor. It moved with a sinuous grace, and by the way its claws clattered loudly on the floor with each step it took, it had to be incredibly heavy.

Revealed by the light, it appeared unconcerned as it slowly treaded forward toward them. Its stare was nothing short of malevolent, and it impossible to mistake the creature’s intent.

“Only one… we’ll take its charge, and strike from the flanks,” Arun said, lifting his hammer. The other warriors nodded.

“No… wait!” Dana cried, but before any of them could react, and creature opened its jaws wide, and unleashed an incredible roar.

The blast of sound reverberated out of the tunnel and resounded with incredible potency throughout the chamber. The very stones of the fortress shook, and each of the companions was staggered, stunned by the intensity of the sound.

None of them could react as the creature leapt forward. It seized Arun in its jaws, lifting the paladin from his feet as it jerked him to the left and right, its teeth crushing deeper into the metal plates covering his torso. Then it snapped its body suddenly around, releasing the dwarf and sending him flying across the room. Arun crashed into the wall with a loud crash of metal on stone, and then slumped to the ground, dazed.

The monstrous beast had already turned upon its next foe. Lok tried to bring up his shield to deflect it, but the creature merely brushed the feeble defense aside with a claw. It bore the genasi down, digging its claws into his shoulders, its weight driving the points through his armor. Lok could do nothing as the creature drew back, but only long enough to seize the genasi’s left leg in a solid bite. It snapped its head up and down, slamming the warrior into the ground once, twice, three times, before hurling him aside much as it had done Arun, launching him to the opposite side of the room to land in a heap.

Having taken down two of the group’s most powerful warriors in a matter of seconds, the creature fixed its attention on where Dannel, Dana, and Cal stood bewildered in the entryway, just inside the metal doors.

HugeOgre

First Post
Hmmm, that IS weird. Those posts werent there this morning when I read LB's post earlier. I wonder if the server is 12 hours off or something now?

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time before the server died again to suggest to you LB that you serialize and try to market your work on your next endeavor. I realize this storyhour was fraught with IP from WotC and possibly others, but I definitely believe the style and writing of your work is great, and perfect for syndication. This is the kind of content that brings people back to websites again and again, as demonstrated by the post and view counts of your story, even AFTER the crash.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the Shackled City Story Hour over these many past months. In a time when there is precious little besides news to read on a daily or even weekly basis, your storyhour is a true gem I've enjoyed over and over. To this end, Id really appreciate if you'd let me send you some money via paypal, or deposit something into your account here, or let me buy you a book to read. My way of saying thanks to you. For your efforts, it is money well earned, and I would encourage others who have enjoyed the story as much as I have to do so too. Writing and dedication like this needs to be encouraged and rewarded.

I look forward with some regret to the end.

Remove ads