Shadow Stalker

Patlin

Explorer
Dargon said:
I have been thinking on a sneak attack/stalking based prestige class for some time, and had a lot of time on my hand to day. So what do you say? It was originally based on the assassin.

Shadow Stalker
Hit Die: d8.
Requirements
To qualify to become a Shadow Stalker, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
BAB +4
Feats: Track, sneak attack (+2d6)
Skills: Survivel 8 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks.

Class Skills
The Shadow Stalker’ class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level
6 + Int modifier.

Code:
Level	Base 	Fort 	Ref	Will         Special
	Attack  Save    Save    Save	
	Bonus
1st	+0	+0	+2	+0	Sneak attack +1d6 

2nd	+1	+0	+3	+0	blood trail 

3rd	+2	+1	+3	+1	Swift Tracker

4th	+3	+1	+4	+1	Sneak attack +2d6

5th	+3	+1	+4	+1	uncanny dodge

6th	+4	+2	+5	+2	hide in plain sight

7th	+5	+2	+5	+2	sneak attack +3d6, Reveal 

8th	+6	+2	+6	+2	Improved uncanny dodge

9th	+6	+3	+6	+3	Supreme tracker 

10th	+7	+3	+7	+3	Sneak attack +4d6

Sneak Attack
This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If a Shadow Stalker gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a Shadow Stalker retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)
If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
At 5th level, a Shadow Stalker can no longer be flanked, since he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the Shadow Stalker. The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the Shadow Stalker can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).
If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)
At 4th level, a Shadow Stalker can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a Shadow Stalker can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

Swift Tracker (Ex)
A Shadow Stalker can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Supreme tracker (Ex)
The shadow stalker can move up to twice his normal speed while following a track without taking the -20 or -10 penalty to his check
A shadow stalker can also take an auto 10 on all survival check to track

blood trail
A shadow stalker that deals sneak attack damage can forgo 1d6 sneak attack damage to damage the creature, and forcing a special moving pattern and their by gain a +10 circumstance bonus for 1 day/shadow stalker lvl to survival when tracking the creature.

Reveal (su)
This ability works like locate creature but can only be used to locate a specific creature known to you. Caster lvl is you shadow stalker lvl. It can be use 1/ pr 2level of shadow stalker but you can only target one particular creature pr day

I'd aprove this. Any more discussion?

Rystil Arden

First Post
+10 is a very very large circumstance modifier--it actually isn't that I have a major problem with granting it with Blood Trail, per se, but I think the fluff for it doesn't make sense vis-a-vis a +10, plus the fluff would indicate that magically healing the wound immediately eliminates the bonus. Is that correct? It is not yet listed.

Dargon

First Post
I didn't intent it to be healed by simple cure spells, does it help i ad the following?

A shadow stalker that deals sneak attack damage can forgo 1d6 sneak attack damage to the creature, and forcing a special moving pattern and their by gain a +10 circumstance bonus for 1 day/shadow stalker lvl to survival when tracking the creature. This is not actual damage and have no other consequents other then changing the movement. The changing can only be seen by the shadow stalker.

Patlin

Explorer
Same bonus, different fluff: ...can forgo 1d6 sneak attack damage to implant a portion of his essence into the target, granting him a +10 circumstance bonus on attempts to track the target for up to one day per class level.

Perhaps blood link rather than blood trail for the name?

Bront

The man with the probe
Shadow Mark might be a better name for it.

I like it for the most part other than that. However, it needs some fluff now. Perhaps notables of their roles in the world, places it may have originated (The Freefolk have links to Shadowdancers, so I could see this being a Freefolk thing in origin for example).

One last thing, I could see this class getting an initiative bonus at level 3, 6, and 6 (+1, +2, and +3). With the loss of some combat ability, and the new abilities being more out of combat, I think that fits and balances things very well.

Dargon

First Post
I like the idea of them being connected to the freefolks.

Anyway added some fluff, and followed Patlin's suggestion on the former blood trail. Name is now changed to shadow link.

I also followed Bront suggestion on the init bonuses, a thing that fit right in to the concept.

I see it as finished now unless the judges has more to add/comment.

Bront

The man with the probe
YES!

I like it. Think it's balanced well, and has a purpose, as well as some extra flavor to the world.

One thing I think you should clairify.

There can only be 1 Shadow Link active at any time. Or 1 per 2 Stalker levels. (I'm up for either, it just shouldn't be infinate)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
YES!

I like it. Think it's balanced well, and has a purpose, as well as some extra flavor to the world.

One thing I think you should clairify.

There can only be 1 Shadow Link active at any time. Or 1 per 2 Stalker levels. (I'm up for either, it just shouldn't be infinate)
Well, I bet having your essence in several places would distract from each signal. What if you could divide the +10 among any number of targets, so you can have +10 on one guy, or +2 on 5 different guys, etc.

Dargon

First Post
Being limited to one person makes most sense.
Added following sentence.

When the shadow stalker use this ability he loss the benefit from any previous links.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases