Shadowdark looks so good!

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Catching up on this thread. Here are some things that appeal to me about Shadowdark:
  1. I've always been tremendously impressed with her Skyhorn adventures, not just for the content but for the concise, usable presentation. So I was already open to loving Shadowdark.
  2. I've been wanting a simpler, more streamlined game. I got excited about Five Torches Deep, but it's too concise: the insistence on keeping each 'thing' to one page means that in some/many cases those things are left feeling incomplete. Also, there doesn't seem to be a active community developing content for FTD.
  3. The really simple structure of classes means if I have a certain concept I want to implement, or that a player wants, it's pretty easy to create a new class.
  4. I really do just want to focus on dungeon crawls and loot, and not spend time on murder mysteries or court intrigue or world sandbox play.
  5. Specific mechanics aside...and it's easy as veteran gamers to strip away everything else and analyze the mechanics in isolation...there is a consistency to the whole game, including the look & feel, the writing, etc., that conveys an aesthetic I really appreciate.
Overall it is almost exactly what I've been looking for.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Here are some things that appeal to me about Shadowdark:
  1. I've always been tremendously impressed with her Skyhorn adventures, not just for the content but for the concise, usable presentation. So I was already open to loving Shadowdark.
  2. I've been wanting a simpler, more streamlined game. [...] Also, there doesn't seem to be a active community developing content for FTD.
  3. The really simple structure of classes means if I have a certain concept I want to implement, or that a player wants, it's pretty easy to create a new class.
  4. I really do just want to focus on dungeon crawls and loot, and not spend time on murder mysteries or court intrigue or world sandbox play.
  5. Specific mechanics aside...and it's easy as veteran gamers to strip away everything else and analyze the mechanics in isolation...there is a consistency to the whole game, including the look & feel, the writing, etc., that conveys an aesthetic I really appreciate.
Overall it is almost exactly what I've been looking for.
I 100% mostly feel the same way! 😃

Although I'm not interested in just dungeon crawling, the great thing about a streamlined system is that it's easy to tack on (hopefully) equally simple subsystems for the non-crawly parts of a game.

JohnSnow

Hero

Although I'm not interested in just dungeon crawling, the great thing about a streamlined system is that it's easy to tack on (hopefully) equally simple subsystems for the non-crawly parts of a game.
Word of Kelsey is that the full rules will have some added rules for "Overland Travel" and "City Adventures." And lots of Random Encounter tables.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune

I’m thinking the same. I like using stats without a skill system - it’s very similar in my head to Fate Accelerated and aspects-only Fate Core, things I like very much and have a handle on. I can very readily imagine Using Shadowdark for occult conspiracy, irony-heavy high society (yes, I did like Cerebus before Dave Sim’s breakdown spilled all over everything), Moorcockian dimensional melodrama, whatever.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Oh, I shouldn't have said "just" dungeon crawls; I meant it in the sense of "is that too much to ask?" not in the sense of "exclusively".

Yes to overland travel, wilderness exploration, interactions in town, building a stronghold, etc.

But with a distinct emphasis on dungeons.

Remove ads