“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Catching up on this thread. Here are some things that appeal to me about Shadowdark:
- I've always been tremendously impressed with her Skyhorn adventures, not just for the content but for the concise, usable presentation. So I was already open to loving Shadowdark.
- I've been wanting a simpler, more streamlined game. I got excited about Five Torches Deep, but it's too concise: the insistence on keeping each 'thing' to one page means that in some/many cases those things are left feeling incomplete. Also, there doesn't seem to be a active community developing content for FTD.
- The really simple structure of classes means if I have a certain concept I want to implement, or that a player wants, it's pretty easy to create a new class.
- I really do just want to focus on dungeon crawls and loot, and not spend time on murder mysteries or court intrigue or world sandbox play.
- Specific mechanics aside...and it's easy as veteran gamers to strip away everything else and analyze the mechanics in isolation...there is a consistency to the whole game, including the look & feel, the writing, etc., that conveys an aesthetic I really appreciate.