Shadowdark looks so good!

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Shadowdark's vibe is its own thing, from char gen to advancement. I just tried to use a wine analogy on a friend to help him understand the differences between fantasy RPGs that aren't exactly the same play experience though they seem really similar. Here it is: merlot, champagne, and port may all be wines, but they drink differently. (I forgot he was a beer guy. My analogy was wasted.)
IPAs, lagers, and sour ales.

If someone want to avoid frighten usual 5ed players you can use point buy.
The average for 3d6 six time is 15 points.
Ex.: 15,12,10,8,8,8 for an awesome +0 bonus.

Choosing his background won’t break the game neither, nor giving average hit points instead of rolling.
Maybe I'm insufficiently caffeinated, but I can't follow your math here. Average for 3d6 six times is 63 total points in stats, right? 10.5 x 6? Your sample array is 61 points, so very close, but I'm still not following "six time is 15 points".

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The spell miscast penalties would guaranty that no one ever play a caster, that's for sure :ROFLMAO:

But, hey, you know. They are the best group in the world. We just have different... sensibilities.

I ran a one-shot for my 5e group. One guy started his own stopwatch every time they lit a torch. Since it was a one-shot I didn’t bother trying to explain why that wasn’t in the spirit of the game.

IPAs, lagers, and sour ales.

Maybe I'm insufficiently caffeinated, but I can't follow your math here. Average for 3d6 six times is 63 total points in stats, right? 10.5 x 6? Your sample array is 61 points, so very close, but I'm still not following "six time is 15 points".
Average of 6 x 3d6 is 11,11,11,10,10,10.
in term of dnd 5ed point buy value it is 15 points.
I use value for 5ed, there may be a more accurate table and values.

15 points can give the following scores who are around average SD method and would make decent SD character,
  1. 15,12,10,8,8,8 bonus 0
  2. 14,13,11,8,8,8 bonus 0
  3. 14,11,11,10,8,8 bonus 0
  4. 14,12,11,9,8,8 bonus 0
  5. 14,12,12,8,8,8 bonus +1
  6. 14,12,10,10,8,8 bonus +1

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Average of 6 x 3d6 is 11,11,11,10,10,10.
in term of dnd 5ed point buy value it is 15 points.
I use value for 5ed, there may be a more accurate table and values.
Ah, I follow, now. The equivalent of 15 points spent on the 5E point buy ability score table. Gotcha.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I ran a one-shot for my 5e group. One guy started his own stopwatch every time they lit a torch. Since it was a one-shot I didn’t bother trying to explain why that wasn’t in the spirit of the game.
raises hanf I don’t understand why it isn’t, either, I guess. What have I missed so far?

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
People are making all kinds of LED timed lamps on the Shadowdark Facebook group.:ROFLMAO:

Last night I rolled up a character for Shadowdark.
I rolled three 12's, and three 13's. (Str 12, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13 (15 from talent), Wis12, and Cha 13).
The next set the lowest was a 4, and the highest stat was 11 oof!

So I created a human Wizard.
4 HP (3+1) AC 11, Talents were adv to one spell, and +2 to INT. The Spells I rolled up (1d12 three times) were Charm, Burning Hands, and Mage Armor. At first I was going to put the adv on charm, then thought how I would probably use burning hands as his offensive spell more often. So burning hand has adv. I rolled a 19 for his background which is a Noble. That was fun!

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
People are making all kinds of LED timed lamps on the Shadowdark Facebook group.:ROFLMAO:

Last night I rolled up a character for Shadowdark.
I rolled three 12's, and three 13's. (Str 12, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13 (15 from talent), Wis12, and Cha 13).
The next set the lowest was a 4, and the highest stat was 11 oof!

So I created a human Wizard.
4 HP (3+1) AC 11, Talents were adv to one spell, and +2 to INT. The Spells I rolled up (1d12 three times) were Charm, Burning Hands, and Mage Armor. At first I was going to put the adv on charm, then thought how I would probably use burning hands as his offensive spell more often. So burning hand has adv. I rolled a 19 for his background which is a Noble. That was fun!

Advantage on Burning Hands is pretty freaking awesome.

kapars

Adventurer
Had a blast running Scarlet Citadel. Listening to players fret as they try to outrun a cave creeper, having a player possessed and taking out the torch as they are fighting past a skeleton to escape the dungeon, a PC getting first aid from an Ettercap - good times.

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed this much DMing 5e or even OSE. 5e has too much to keep track of and with OSE I find myself doing a lot of lookups and bookkeeping; with this I can relax.

Remove ads