• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shapechange --> Golem

Number47

First Post
I have an interesting question. Shapechange allows you to change shape into practically anything. It also give the Extraordinary abilities of that form. Golems have Magic Immunity as an extraordinary ability. Does this mean that if I shapechange into an iron golem, that I will be immune to an antimagic field (which would suppress the shapechange and any other protections I might have)? If it does, I have a new favorite shapechange form!

Further question: if Shapechange into Golem allows immunity to Antimagic Field, what is preventing me from changing to a golem then casting a still, silent Antimagic Field? This would be a very devastating combo!

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Yes, 17th level sorcerers or wizards are powerful.

According to the text of both spells and the golem section of the MM, I think the antimagic field spell would not suppress your shapechange in this particular form. It would, however, prevent you from using your spells or spell-like abilities. The text of the antimagic field spell in the PH specifically describes this for golems.

SoulStorm

First Post
An antimagic field affects an area, not an opponent. It basically removes the ability for magic to function in the area. Given the above information, I would rule that the Shapechange ceases to function.

YMMV

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The iron golem has magic immunity. Would that not allow the shapechanger to remain an iron golem? The spell description itself says that golems will function within the field, but that their spell, spell-like, and supernatural abilities do not. Their magic immunity is extraordinary, so it still functions.

SoulStorm

First Post
Yes, they're immune to magic, but as you stated yourself, supernatural and spell-like abilities cease to function. What do you think shapechange is? Again, I think the spell would cease to function.

Maudlin

First Post
I agree that it would be removed, in the same way that the Shapechange would still be subject to Dispel Magic or Disjunction, even if normal Golems aren't.

Tom Cashel

First Post
A wizard shapechanged into a golem, is not a golem. He may receive the abilities of a golem, but antimagic still cancels his ability to be a golem in the first place.

Remove ads