Share your 2020 D&D release predictions

gyor

Hero
Given that what she described is unlike anything they have done in 5E so far, it could go a lot of different ways.

The Lantan thing comes from literally years of hints from Crawford that Lantan will feature majorly in an upcoming Storyline, including future-proofed connections in Dragon Heist and Tomb of Annihilation. There are additional hints of something Planar and/or Spelljammer-y, probably tentacley, and just maybe Modrons adjacent.
I think the upcoming plotline is actually going to be Baldur's Gate 3, we know the Mindflayers have spelljammers, so going to Lantan to aquire our own Spelljammer, makes a lot of sense.

Parmandur

Legend
I think the upcoming plotline is actually going to be Baldur's Gate 3, we know the Mindflayers have spelljammers, so going to Lantan to aquire our own Spelljammer, makes a lot of sense.
I don't think a direct tie-in is likely, but bridging the same "historical" space would fit in with how they've done media tie-ins (the video game has elements of a Mindflayer invasion, which is also going in in Lantan, say).

I don't dare, it would be more like a list of wishes.
Like some sort of... wishlist?

On Topic: pfft idunno. Stuff I think might happen probably won't actually happen next year. I think what they'll do is play next year safe in terms of releases, while throwing out a bunch of stuff in UA to see what sticks, and putting that in 2021's books.

Parmandur

Legend
Why does everything assume we are getting an Exandria sourcebook? I know the Green Ronin one isn't "official" in that it wasn't produced by WoTC, but what exactly will an official one have that that one didn't?
In their recent marketing survey WotC included Exandria as a selectable option for favorite Setting (while not including a number of historical D&D Settings as options), and Blood Hunter (along with Psion/Mystic and Warlord) as a selectable option for favorite D&D Class.

We're mostly interpreting this as testing the waters for interest in some WotC/Critical Role collaboration, but we'll see what comes of that.

LuisCarlos17f

Adventurer
In the past I suggested the future of game-live shows as CR would be more like streaming an asymmetric dungeon-crawling, where we would listen the player voices, but in the screen we would see something like a machinima movie. WotC has got a videogame studio. Maybe some stories will be set in Ravenloft, like a horror movie but nobody knows who will survive.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
Honestly I think that Adventure Anthology is going to be based in Exandia and be a critical role tie in thing, and as such like Aquistions Inc's book, it won't count as taking up a "slot", just as the AI book did not take up a slot.
I sincerely doubt it. One, because although CR's world Exandria has some unique flavor elements, it's really not that different from a typical Medieval D&D world (Greyhawk, FR), so setting an anthology there doesn't make much sense compared to an official D&D world.

Second, I see no reason why Deborah Ann Woll or DMsGuild authors would be interested in writing for Exandria. Your whole theory that it is in that world seems centered around one of the authors being Marisha Ray, which i find implausible.

teitan

Explorer
My gut is saying the anthology is horror themed with some Ravenloft related content plus a Van RIchten Guide for undead with in depth look at Vampires, Necromancy, Liches etc.

I don't know about DL as the setting, I know Perkins' comment and all but I think it's just horror themed adventures than Hickman related. Dark Sun is a far easier bet but I think it is a long shot as well. A planar themed book is also a long shot. I'd NOT be surprised by Greyhawk with DL being the following year.

Yes I see a new crunch book with Psionics as the theme. The big adventure I am not sure but I am leaning Mindflayers.

bedir than

Adventurer
I think all the dreams and wish-casting seem to forget the Woll, et al book that is currently in development.

I expect that to be a new anthology. Think Yawning Portal or Saltmarsh, but not as bringing old forward.

gyor

Hero
I sincerely doubt it. One, because although CR's world Exandria has some unique flavor elements, it's really not that different from a typical Medieval D&D world (Greyhawk, FR), so setting an anthology there doesn't make much sense compared to an official D&D world.

Second, I see no reason why Deborah Ann Woll or DMsGuild authors would be interested in writing for Exandria. Your whole theory that it is in that world seems centered around one of the authors being Marisha Ray, which i find implausible.
Exandria is official a D&D world since being mentioned in BG: DiA and the WotC D&D survey included Exandria as a D&D setting.

But anyways it just occurred to me we may both be right. Would you concider Tales of the Yawning Portal an Adventure Anthology?

I ask because TotYP included Against the giants update, which is about the size of Desert of Desolation, both made up 3 previous modules. So instead of being more like Saltmarsh, maybe this book will be more like TotYP, mixed in with other unrelated adventures. This could be TotYP 2, although perhaps not called that.

GoS also includes a trilogy (although the individual adventures are somewhat shorter than DoD).

You could go either way with DoD - expand it to a full book with lots of new content and setting detail, or reprint as part of an anthology. However, only the first adventure is a good fit for a horror anthology, and that's the best bit anyway.

gyor

Hero
GoS also includes a trilogy (although the individual adventures are somewhat shorter than DoD).

You could go either way with DoD - expand it to a full book with lots of new content and setting detail, or reprint as part of an anthology. However, only the first adventure is a good fit for a horror anthology, and that's the best bit anyway.
You can amp up the horror elements for the rest if needed, more Mummies, Mummy Lords, Ghouls, Jackleweres, curses, maybe add a succubus. All of them can be tweeked.

You can amp up the horror elements for the rest if needed, more Mummies, Mummy Lords, Ghouls, Jackleweres, curses, maybe add a succubus. All of them can be tweeked.
You could, and it would be great, but that would be more in the scope of a full book than as part of a compilation.

Giltonio_Santos

Adventurer
There will be subclasses, and they’ll add 1d6 [insert exotic damage type] once per turn as a bonus action. Or maybe 1d8 to all attacks on that turn, but only once before a short rest.

There will be at least one class/subclass with a pet that is much better than the beast master.

There will be a rehash of one or maybe two classic modules. They’ll probably be good. Actually, better than the originals.

There will be at least one storyline that’s not a rehash, and we’ll complain that it reads great, but demands a lot from the DM to run properly. We’ll run it anyway. 😉

Actually that wouldn't take that much space to do, it's a few encounters here and there using monsters that are already in the MM.
Once you start putting in completely new encounters it becomes a rewrite, not a conversion. And therefore would have a much higher resource allocation. In which case its not really worth doing for "just a few" encounters.

teitan

Explorer
A pipe dream at best buttt what I’d love to see is a remake of the original Temple of Elemental Evil. Not Princes of the Apocalypse but a straight remake that improves on the original the way that CoS improved the original Ravenloft adventure and expanded where necessary. ToEE was such a great idea and is so iconic but also a slog from being haphazardly finished. One could bring in some of the later developments and really make it a great adventure.

Advertisement