• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Share your naming resources.

ErisRaven

First Post
Reverse Name dictionary

When the online resources fail me, and the wonderful Endless Book of Names doesn't seem to work, this is my fallback point:

http://www.yvonnenavarro.com/namedoc1.htm

The First Name Reverse Dictionary

Ever want to name a character something in specific - like "all the women in this house are named after flowers" or something like that?

This book does the baby-name thing backwards.

You look up the meaning, and it might have:

flower - Flora (Lat.), and about 35 other things in different languages that mean 'flower'.

It's a great resource, especially when you're short on ideas.

Wladislaw

First Post
The Name Game

Hi all,

I happened to stumble upon this thread (I read EN World regularly, but as you can see, am a newbie on this forum) and decided to do something with all the naming links mentioned here and those gathering dust in my Favorites folder.

Without further ado, I give you this:
http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/trmika/namegame.htm

Go take a look and tell me what I could improve.

Regards,
Mikko

Terra_Ferax_Mark

First Post
We have several name tables

Our name tables put thousands of names at your finger tips. If you're a player or want a particular name, the tables are alphabetical and good for choosing from. If you're a DM needing to create many NPC names, or a player who can't make up your mind, whip out your percentile dice and the tables are formatted for your needs either way.

Humans:
English Name Tables
French Name Tables
Gaelic Name Tables

Non-/Demi- humans
Dwarven Name Tables
Elven Name Tables
Gnomish Name Tables
Halfling Name Tables
Orcish Name Tables

sm_tfi3003.jpg

sm_tfi3004.jpg

sm_tfi3005.jpg

sm_tfi3001.jpg

sm_tfi3002.jpg

sm_tfi3006.jpg

sm_tfi3007.jpg

sm_tfi3008.jpg

Dave Blewer

First Post
I also use the George RR Martin method... Take a "real world" name and change a couple of letters, so Andrew could become Androw, Endrew, Endrow. Giving a recognisable but evocative fantasy name.

Sometimes this all goes horribly wrong of course, I have a player (Simon) who is presently playing a Cleric Rogue called Zimon :rolleyes:

In his defence, the player always has terrible problems generating names for his characters though :)

Remove ads