• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Share your naming resources.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Heh, well. I mirrored the Onomastikon on my hard drives a few months ago, so I still have it.
However, I've yet to use it for NPC names. Those all come from my cluttered brain.

Darraketh

First Post
Last edited:

mtbdm

First Post
what's in a name?

I have several methods of generating names. I have photocopied name generators from recent issues of dragon magazine. These are nice because not only do you generate a name but you know what it means.
Most of the old historical supplement books by TSR had lists of appropriate names by culture and era, as did the racial handbooks--especially the drow handbook.
The "tsolyani word generator" is a good resource for exotic names. I'm sure there are some other name generators on the web. WOTC had one on their website at one time.
Judges Guild publishes a supplement called "A Treasury of Archaic Names". Their stuff is very cool if you haven't checked it out.
And finally, there's the library--NEVER underestimate the library. I use the latin/english dictionary a lot but almost any bilingual dictionary should do. The library also has those books with baby names and meanings.
Hope that helps.
MtbDM

It looks like someone has already posted kabalarians. I've been using that for years now. It's great!

For fantasy names that I don't want to sound like any terrestrial name (even obscure languages) I also have some name generator programs that allow me to set language parameters. That way I get a consistent "sound" to my languages, which works well.

I've also done charts where I create syllables and then roll two dice, cross reference the cell and use that syllable to add to the name I'm creating. That also gives a good consistent sound to your made-up ethnic names, but you get some drek that you have to sift through, and it takes a little bit of work.

Another system I've used, although it's even more spotty is simply to create a small chart, with 7-15 or so letters from the alphabet on the left column and a corresponding different letter on the right column. Then I take some name or word and everywhere a letter in the left column appears, I replace it with the corresponding letter from the right column.

That one, at least, you can pull together quickly, do it on napkin while waiting to be seated for lunch, or what have you. And you can get some good results from it.

Caliber

Explorer
I guess I should mention this site ... Name Generator

I have never used it, but my DM does. He seems to like it (hell he wrote the program so I guess he would ...)

Hope it helps. All of your sites surely helped me. :)

jester47

First Post
I use several things for names-

Gobbledygook that appears in my head,

Like Achtalandar, or Nirahndia, how about Zortnifern? Or maybe a Nuskarinak. These are my favorites.

I also make small changes to existing words and names-

Aristotle -> Dristotle
Carolina -> Arolina
Compact -> Ompactus

Still somtimes, when creating an alter ego, I use my own name and rearrange things:

Aaron -> Norad

Or basse somthing on my initials ALW like,

Aluuond

Names have never been hard for me.

Aaron Webb

Last edited:

Remove ads