ZEITGEIST Share your ZEITGEIST adventure ideas

I’m trying to think of a way to run a beginners thing for Gears of Revolution, a “welcome to the RHC sort of adventure. I debated taking the first chapter of Dragonheist and adapting it, a test by the RHC to get back a minor noble like the Kings nephew or something.

Doesn’t need to be that but I would love to run a intro adventure that helps establish them in Flint, gets them in the RHC, and gives them a quick intro to some of the themes that are big for street level heroes (like the crime in flint, or the serial killer who I don’t know if they play a big part in a later adventure or not)

Oh, and I had a megadungeon idea that would involve some remnants of the Demonocracy, but I've decided to file off the serial numbers and work on it as a not-officially-ZEITGEIST thing.

Yeah, I've thought of it, but I'm a victim of having too many projects I want to work on. It kinda goes in waves, where I'll do fiction for a while, then game design. I'm in a phase now working on a fan project for the Legend of the Five Rings card game, and then it'll probably be back to my novel for a while.

But I'll crank these out eventually.

Yeah, I've thought of it, but I'm a victim of having too many projects I want to work on. It kinda goes in waves, where I'll do fiction for a while, then game design. I'm in a phase now working on a fan project for the Legend of the Five Rings card game, and then it'll probably be back to my novel for a while.

But I'll crank these out eventually.
...you're writing a novel?

Yeah. Not ZEITGEIST, though.

It's a bronze age fantasy setting centered around a Babylon-esque city, where mortals managed to actually succeed at the whole 'build a tower to heaven and take the power of God' thing from the myth of Babel. For a few centuries they were able to create commandments and dictates that set rules for reality in specific areas, and used that power to expand their civilization -- and occasionally cause terrible tragedies when they chose their words poorly.

Then a century ago the omnipotent God they drew their power from vanished. The existing magical laws persist, but the priests cannot make any more.

People believe in other gods too, of course, and the novel's plot involves four paladins who are recipients of various accolades granted by their different deities. They serve the 'palace hill' (the aforementioned tower to heaven, which if we're being honest is only a few hundred feet tall), and are supposed to protect the nation and smite evil.

The book uses fantasy adventure tropes to interrogate the power words have in defining how we allow ourselves to act in the world, and who we see as part of our 'in-group.' The two main point-of-view paladins both want to use their station to earn a place of respect or power in the world, but they have to confront the fact that the society they serve uses paladins to enforce laws that deny respect and power from certain groups.

I'm thinking of calling it A Covenant Against Barbarism, perhaps with a subtitle of Smite Evil.

Remove ads