D&D 5E Sharing Spells with a steed

Argyle King

Legend
Find Steed says that, while mounted, any spell with a range of "self" can be shared with the steed.

How does this work when you cast something like Cone of Cold? Do both you and the steed produce a cone?

I'm asking because a bard character has used his ability to learn spells from other classes to learn Find Steed. It's a little unclear how sharing spells works with certain spells.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Find Steed says that, while mounted, any spell with a range of "self" can be shared with the steed.

Actually, it says "...you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your steed.". "Self" is not the requirement at all.

This seems pretty clear for cone of cold - while it's range is self, it targets a number of creatures in the cone so it would not be applicable for sharing via Find Steed.

Argyle King

Legend
Actually, it says "...you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your steed.". "Self" is not the requirement at all.

This seems pretty clear for cone of cold - while it's range is self, it targets a number of creatures in the cone so it would not be applicable for sharing via Find Steed.

Thanks for the correction, but that leads to other questions. Does that mean the caster can intentionally target himself with spells to benefit the steed?

gyor

Legend
Thanks for the correction, but that leads to other questions. Does that mean the caster can intentionally target himself with spells to benefit the steed?

Yes. Example, you cast haste on yourself while mounted on the steed, it effectively grants both of you haste. The purpose is to share buffs, healing, and teleportation like misty step.

Argyle King

Legend
I had thought so, but language doesn't always mean what it seems to mean in D&D.

Now I'm curious if the steed can gain a familiar.

Remove ads