Shatner, Wheaton & More In D&D Themed Big Bang Theory Episode

Dungeons & Dragons has featured on The Big Bang Theory plenty of times. Now, in its final season, the show will feature an entire episode themed around D&D, guest starring epic geek icons like William Shatner (Star Trek), Will Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (basketball), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob).

Dungeons & Dragons has featured on The Big Bang Theory plenty of times. Now, in its final season, the show will feature an entire episode themed around D&D, guest starring epic geek icons like William Shatner (Star Trek), Will Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (basketball), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob).

EF51E2F9-17EE-49F6-B7D7-170529A99AF1.jpeg

bbttnd.jpg

They've played D&D many times on the show

Whether all of those guest stars will actually play the game is not known. A short teaser was released on Twitter a couple of days ago. Some of them we know are tabletop gamers (Wheaton, Manganiello), and Manganiello is an avid D&D superfan.

The date of the episode is not yet confirmed, but the show is halfway through its final season, so it can't be too far off.

Tom B1

Explorer
I am not a big fan of sitcoms, thus not a big fan of BBT. On the other hand, the nerd angst (doesn't seem to quite reach the rage level) is odd to me.

I find it interesting when any given individual talks about 'nerd culture' or 'the community' because the community of people involved in board, tabletop RPG, miniatures, and wargaming is so vast and varied and has so many different tangential associations (comics, movies, TV, conventions, LARPing/Cosplay, and the list goes on) that no one of us can really hope to have a view of what 'nerd culture' is or is not or what 'the community' is or is not.

I've been to a lot of different conventions of different sorts in different states and I've gamed with people from all over the world of all perspectives (or a bunch anyway). I won't claim to know what defines a 'nerd' or 'geek' or even a 'gamer' with any definitive surety.

It's okay to speak to your own likes and dislikes and what your group is like. It's fine to try to identify larger trends in an assumed 'nerd culture' as if there was only one, I suppose, as long as you keep in mind you surely can't represent, describe, advocate for, or even know the extent of 'nerd culture' (more likely a bunch of cultures that interlink in some Byzantine way).

BBT is not the documentary some of you seem to be looking for. And many of the other web series or podcasts that kind of carry the flag better in terms of giving a more accurate portrayal of part of the nerd demographic and what those folk value... they are okay, but be sure they don't represent everyone either (any more than BTT does).

I love Wil, but I can't stand watching other people gaming. It's like watching golf or croquet to me - I can play those but watching them makes my brain bleed. And when the nerd fandom focuses on itself, producing various podcasts, videos, magazines, etc. that sort of turn the lens back on itself rather than just focusing on the games and gaming experiences, they lose me because *they rarely or never represent what my small chunk of nerd/geek-dom values*.

I'm not denying anyone's right to have an opinion of BTT (as I say, not my bag because it is a sitcom). But at least try to be aware most of our thoughts about nerd/geek culture(s) and the values of the people that participate are always going to be incomplete and wrong when they try to characterize and encompass such a vast, diverse, and unknowable mix of people and values.

The best we can ever do is to understand our own little part of nerd/geek-dom and not be too judgmental about how others present it, experience it, live it, or love it (or don't).

It's ironic that many of us feel judged by those who see themselves as non-nerds or non-geeks and yet we in turn judge those inside and outside our own communities quite regularly. Nerd/geek culture is sure not above hypocrisy at times, just proving that under it all we are human.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would also challenge the claim "inaccurate." :) In my high school years, I saw plenty of myself in aspects of Sheldon, Howard, and Raj! Overly pedantic, slightly neurotic, painfully shy around females -- every bit of it. (However, my mother didn't have me tested, and I never found courage with alcohol. :) ). A friend of mine said he went to college back in the late 90s with a guy who in his words "could have been the inspiration for Sheldon."

As Morrus said, yes, they are exaggerated for sitcom-logic, but the reason the show resonates for a lot of people are the humorous glimpses of life in them for people who grew up with these quirks (or survived them and can laugh about it today.)

Outdated? Maybe, but there's a lot to reminisce and connect with in this show for those who recognize the quirks in these guys (and girls).

Dire Bare

Legend
I am not a big fan of sitcoms, thus not a big fan of BBT. On the other hand, the nerd angst (doesn't seem to quite reach the rage level) is odd to me.

I find it interesting when any given individual talks about 'nerd culture' or 'the community' because the community of people involved in board, tabletop RPG, miniatures, and wargaming is so vast and varied and has so many different tangential associations (comics, movies, TV, conventions, LARPing/Cosplay, and the list goes on) that no one of us can really hope to have a view of what 'nerd culture' is or is not or what 'the community' is or is not.

I've been to a lot of different conventions of different sorts in different states and I've gamed with people from all over the world of all perspectives (or a bunch anyway). I won't claim to know what defines a 'nerd' or 'geek' or even a 'gamer' with any definitive surety.

It's okay to speak to your own likes and dislikes and what your group is like. It's fine to try to identify larger trends in an assumed 'nerd culture' as if there was only one, I suppose, as long as you keep in mind you surely can't represent, describe, advocate for, or even know the extent of 'nerd culture' (more likely a bunch of cultures that interlink in some Byzantine way).

BBT is not the documentary some of you seem to be looking for. And many of the other web series or podcasts that kind of carry the flag better in terms of giving a more accurate portrayal of part of the nerd demographic and what those folk value... they are okay, but be sure they don't represent everyone either (any more than BTT does).

I love Wil, but I can't stand watching other people gaming. It's like watching golf or croquet to me - I can play those but watching them makes my brain bleed. And when the nerd fandom focuses on itself, producing various podcasts, videos, magazines, etc. that sort of turn the lens back on itself rather than just focusing on the games and gaming experiences, they lose me because *they rarely or never represent what my small chunk of nerd/geek-dom values*.

I'm not denying anyone's right to have an opinion of BTT (as I say, not my bag because it is a sitcom). But at least try to be aware most of our thoughts about nerd/geek culture(s) and the values of the people that participate are always going to be incomplete and wrong when they try to characterize and encompass such a vast, diverse, and unknowable mix of people and values.

The best we can ever do is to understand our own little part of nerd/geek-dom and not be too judgmental about how others present it, experience it, live it, or love it (or don't).

It's ironic that many of us feel judged by those who see themselves as non-nerds or non-geeks and yet we in turn judge those inside and outside our own communities quite regularly. Nerd/geek culture is sure not above hypocrisy at times, just proving that under it all we are human.

Modern gaming or the larger "nerd" culture is a lot more broad and diverse than it used to be. Which, IMO, is a great thing. But it's also why we have gatekeeping reactionaries like "gamergate" and "sad puppies" (look'em up if you're not familiar with these vile episodes in nerd culture). "Classic" nerd culture was a lot more narrow demographically (socially awkward white dudes) and at times rather toxic. And those folks are still part of the larger culture today. That's a generalization which, but its nature, doesn't apply to all nerds who grew up in the 70s and 80s (not me! I'm awesome!), but it is pretty true. And when you add in academic culture, a different kind of nerdery that often overlaps with pop culture nerdery, well, you get folks that The Big Bang Theory both celebrates and lampoons.

I love The Big Bang Theory, in part because I see many of my friends and associates in the characters. Exaggerated, sure, but I think pretty accurate portrayals overall. And when folks get toxic about it in these types of threads, I always "hear" the complaints in the voices of the characters from the show, and to misquote Shakespeare, "They doth protest to much!" "Classic" nerds like myself often got picked on when young, and many of us were socially awkward. Some interpret the humor of TBBT as an attack, much like the bullies we faced when younger. It's not though, I think through a fair viewing, the show is clearly mocking us out of love and camaraderie, as I'm 999% sure the writers room on that show is FILLED with nerds, of both the "pop culture" kind and the academic/scientific kind. It's okay if folks don't like the show, sitcom humor isn't for everyone, but the need to lash out against it always has me shaking my head and sadly chuckling.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would also challenge the claim "inaccurate." :) In my high school years, I saw plenty of myself in aspects of Sheldon, Howard, and Raj! Overly pedantic, slightly neurotic, painfully shy around females -- every bit of it. (However, my mother didn't have me tested, and I never found courage with alcohol. :) ). A friend of mine said he went to college back in the late 90s with a guy who in his words "could have been the inspiration for Sheldon."

As Morrus said, yes, they are exaggerated for sitcom-logic, but the reason the show resonates for a lot of people are the humorous glimpses of life in them for people who grew up with these quirks (or survived them and can laugh about it today.)

Outdated? Maybe, but there's a lot to reminisce and connect with in this show for those who recognize the quirks in these guys (and girls).

I agree, not inaccurate at all, just somewhat exaggerated, and certainly not representative of EVERYONE who feels a part of nerd culture, but a fair stereotype nonetheless. I would even argue against "outdated".

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
one of the few comedies i like to watch, the Good place is the other due to the off the wall aspect more than anything. But the big bang is one that is for those who are the odd ball and feel out of place and let your geek shine. I will miss the show much, the spin off young Sheldon is ok but not the same, would be kind of cool to do one with him and his wife after this is done. Set a few years later and they have had a few kids, maybe two or three, which their own was of doing things, would be a chance to present an autistic child and how others deal with them in a family. Have it be the youngest and the other two fraternal twins both smart but in each others own ways one after the father and the other the mother. The little one who is a prodigy but hides it so as not to over shadow his siblings and to avoid conflict

Another show with Jim Parsons as Sheldon is unlikely. He's part of the reason the show is ending. He's becoming a known commodity in Hollywood.

I enjoy the show, and look forward to this episode. I love it when they play D&D or other games like Settlers of Catan. I think someone should have noticed during production they used a black dragon miniature to represent a fire breathing dragon in one episode.

Tom B1

Explorer
I know we generally view stereotypes as being problematic and that's fair, but most stereotypes originate from a broad characterization of a group (or some aspect of one) and usually that is at least partially based on something real.

It's certainly not true, for instance, that all nerds or geeks are socially awkward today (or when they were younger), but I suspect from the number I've met, a fair number were.

My point here is simply that stereotypes don't originate from the luminferous ether, they actually do draw from some observational data and for them to become broadly enough understood and accepted to be be used, there is usually some truth to the characterization for at least some significant sub-population.

Of course, in putting any tag or label on another, it is an act of reductionism. We reduce the unique and wonderful blend that we each are in our own lives to a single (or small group of) characteristics. I've never liked tags (for people, but even in other uses you run the risk of mis-tagging or at least being insufficiently descriptive).

One observation I think I believe: Once a tag becomes something we adopt as a part of our identity, then we become more polarized and invested in that thing. This is why there are people who might vote Conservative or Liberal, Republican or Democrat, etc. but they aren't married to any one point of view and have the mental flexibility to look at each election, candidate, policy and evaluate the sum total of an offering on merits as they see them. There are others who identify as 'Replublican', 'Democrat', 'Liberal', 'Conservative', etc. and in doing so they align themselves strongly with *anything and everything* that bears that tag to the point of sometimes defending the indefensible.

I try to avoid tagging people with any sort of tag (including geek or nerd) because people are more than a few convenient handles and I have no need to reduce a person from the wonderful and unique mix they are, even if we disagree entirely on various subjects. I don't apply labels to myself (other than perhaps 'middle aged' which seems borne out by my joints - LOL).

BBT does play to stereotypes, but a lot of comedy does. Documentaries don't (good ones) but BBT is not a documentary. It's a comedy that hopes to have reach beyond the nerd world, to get some laughs from those inside and outside, and to provide at least some examples on TV of gamers, nerds, science types, etc. and to show a sense of humour. All humour has the potential to wound those who are sensitized to its subject matter.

Tom B1

Explorer
I think someone should have noticed during production they used a black dragon miniature to represent a fire breathing dragon in one episode.

If you've ever run a miniatures game, you've definitely at some point had to substitute a mini you have for one you don't or that isn't made. Heck, I've had to augment my goblins or kobolds with the infamous D6 goblins for support... kind of breaks the imagery but less than infinite budgets and varied adventures mean you don't have a miniature for every case.

OTOH, if a bunch of folks with some form of fixation on accuracy are playing, it might indeed be out of place! For the rest of us, it'd just be an occasional reality of not having the miniature you need.

I don't have the black dragon, but I do have that huge glorious red one breathing fire that came out some years back and stands about 15" or so tall.... I think if I ever came to the scenario where one of the ancient dragons in our campaign was needed, I'd also get 15mm versions of the character figures... you ought to be scared when you see that coming.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
If you've ever run a miniatures game, you've definitely at some point had to substitute a mini you have for one you don't or that isn't made. Heck, I've had to augment my goblins or kobolds with the infamous D6 goblins for support... kind of breaks the imagery but less than infinite budgets and varied adventures mean you don't have a miniature for every case.

OTOH, if a bunch of folks with some form of fixation on accuracy are playing, it might indeed be out of place! For the rest of us, it'd just be an occasional reality of not having the miniature you need.

I don't have the black dragon, but I do have that huge glorious red one breathing fire that came out some years back and stands about 15" or so tall.... I think if I ever came to the scenario where one of the ancient dragons in our campaign was needed, I'd also get 15mm versions of the character figures... you ought to be scared when you see that coming.

I have that one also. I hope to use it one day. I even have black dragons, none as big as the red. I too have had to improvise. Bottle caps, cotton balls, a Happy Meal hydra from the Disney animated Hercules. I think it was Leonard that DMed that game, but Sheldon would have pointed out the dragon was black and not red. A missed chance at a joke?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads