She Hulk on Disney+

Ryujin

Legend
Wolverine is 5'3" and Hugh Jackman is 6'2". As long as the actor does a good job bringing the character to life, height shouldn't be an issue. And certainly, they could do all sorts of CGI and camera trickery. With the pandemic, I suspect shows and movies will likely be relying on stuff like compositing people into shots more than ever.

If you've never seen "Orphan Black", you should at least watch a few episodes. Maslani plays something like 8 different characters through the course of the series, each with distinct mannerisms and personalities. From a technical aspect probably the most impressive episodes are some of the season finales in which they have scenes with up to 4 different characters, played by Maslani, in the same room and at the "same time." They were obviously shot at separate times and used a stand-in, of her size, who was swapped out in editing so that all the characters interact with each other.

Damn, but she's an impressive actress.

Last edited:

I caught a few episodes while my wife was watching them, and yeah, her ability to transform herself is darn impressive.

If you've never seen "Orphan Black", you should at least watch a few episodes. Maslani plays something like 8 different characters through the course of the series, each with distinct mannerisms and personalities. From a technical aspect probably the most impressive episodes are some of the season finales in which they have scenes with up to 4 different characters, played by Maslani, in the same room and at the "same time." They were obviously shot at separate times and used a stand-in, of her size, who was swapped out in editing so that all the characters interact with each other.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
She-Hulk is canonically 6'7" tall. Tatiana Maslany is 5'4".
I don’t think that matters. Hollywood frequently changes a character’s appearance. Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. Or the opposite, Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine. Sylvester Stallone as Judge Dredd. Michael Keaton was Batman. They made James Bond an Australian once! As long as they can sell the new look, it’s fine.

Zardnaar

Legend

Yeah she got each role "over" as well. Each character was distinct and you bought into it.

She's really good.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don’t think that matters. Hollywood frequently changes a character’s appearance. Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. Or the opposite, Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine. Sylvester Stallone as Judge Dredd. Michael Keaton was Batman. They made James Bond an Australian once! As long as they can sell the new look, it’s fine.

To a certain extent - sure. But there are a lot of characters for whom appearance doesn't matter a whole lot. Batman can be played by a wide range of actors because his main salient features are the Batman suit and plausible playboyability as Bruce Wayne. Wolverine's height gets mentioned in the comics, but it's rarely a defining characteristic compared to his healing factor, senses, adamantium bits, and attitude. I mean, it's not like they're trying to constantly pick which X-man has to sit in the back of a Honda Civic.

But for Hulk and She-Hulk, being big and green are significantly more important. Trademark, even. What I expect is that Tatiana Maslany, as she is normally, will be Jen Walters and some CGI/forced perspective will give her reasonably appropriate She-Hulkiness just like it did for Mark Ruffalo.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
To a certain extent - sure. But there are a lot of characters for whom appearance doesn't matter a whole lot. Batman can be played by a wide range of actors because his main salient features are the Batman suit and plausible playboyability as Bruce Wayne. Wolverine's height gets mentioned in the comics, but it's rarely a defining characteristic compared to his healing factor, senses, adamantium bits, and attitude. I mean, it's not like they're trying to constantly pick which X-man has to sit in the back of a Honda Civic.

But for Hulk and She-Hulk, being big and green are significantly more important. Trademark, even. What I expect is that Tatiana Maslany, as she is normally, will be Jen Walters and some CGI/forced perspective will give her reasonably appropriate She-Hulkiness just like it did for Mark Ruffalo.
To you, maybe. That True Scotsman is an elusive blighter! Height really doesn’t matter to me as long as the actor gives me a version I can believe. I can believe in a green 5’-something hulk woman, a lady Doctor Who, a black Spider-man, a 5'7 Jack Reacher, a short Judge Dredd, the whole works. All they have to do is be good and sell it to me. If they’re good, any change is fine.

Herschel

Adventurer
Damn, I find the Hulk characters thoroughly uninteresting (sans Ed Norton's Bruce) but with Maslany attached I'll likely find a way to check it out.

The CGI to make a person bigger does exist......how many years ago was that Gods of Egypt movie. The gods in that movie were giants compared to humans.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
To you, maybe. That True Scotsman is an elusive blighter!

Somehow, I don’t think expecting anything called a “hulk” to be on the big side qualifies as a No True Scotsman fallacy. I think it wouldn’t be quite right if a Spider-man had chihuahua powers. Why would I expect a hulk, She- or otherwise to be shopping the petite section?

Remove ads