• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield bashing -- a large shield is a light weapon?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Just curious about this. According to the Player's Handbook, a Large Shield is consdidered a light weapon.

Is there errata on this? It doesn't sound right to me.

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
Yes, a 10-15 lb. "light" weapon that can cover about half your body does seem a bit odd. I haven't heard any errata or clarifications to the contrary, however. Sometimes common sense and the rules just can't "play nice" together.;)

The Souljourner

First Post
It's a light weapon because they wanted people to be able to fight with a shield as an offhand weapon without ridiculous penalties. Has nothing to do with realism :)

-The Souljourner

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
It isn't the weight that makes it a light weapon. It's that it is meant to be used on your off hand.

Actually, it's weapon SIZE that makes a weapon "light" for a character. I don't think the off hand has anything to do with it, other than that's where a "light" weapon works better than one that isn't. Last time I checked, a large shield is bigger than a lot of the "medium" weapons, let alone the small ones, which would be considered light for a medium sized creature. This game mechanic is purely for the fantasy crowd, of which I'm a happy member. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
When are the situations that a "light weapon" is important?

1. Attacking with two weapons.
2. Grappling.
3. Weapon Finesse.

Are there any others?

-Hyp.

Remove ads