Shield master on twitter

5ekyu

Hero
The feat is intended primarily for fighters, paladins, barbarians and clerics. Dwarves are pretty popular for that subset of classes. Given dwarves are one of the very few classes that can get a bonus to strength, and sword and board is going to be a strength based build most of the time, it's going to be rather common for a dwarf to be the one fairly likely to be wanting this feat...until now that is. If they push with the feat and move 25 feet off, their foe will just close again with a 30' most of the time. If on the other hand they shove with the feat to make the foe use half their move to get up, the foe gets an opportunity attack. It makes escape somewhat easier (the opportunity attack at least is at disadvantage) but escaping is not really what you might describe as a primary element of this feat.

And no, I don't think this is really such a narrow topic as to reduce it down to just his table. If one of the most likely races to be selecting this feat is also the one that loses out on the escape benefit you're prompting, it's certainly in the topic of discussion beyond just his table.
So all that stuff about how the dex save bonuses and zero vs half etc never, almost never, mattering etc are more universal findings, not just limited to that table/character canpaign and the folks talking about how useful those are in other games are wrong?

Or is it just that the negatives are ok to extrapolate to other tables but the positives have to occur at that one table to count as a rule for this thread?

5ekyu

Hero
Makes the game less fun (in a way that is not correcting an over-powered maneuver), and so is a bad ruling.

I thought "Rulings, not Rules" was supposed to avoid stuff like this?
Yup, that was my take too... On quite a few cases, JC has responded with clear "the rules are this way" but also has provided cases for those along thevlines of "more generous gms might..." And iirc even recently answered a " would you as gm in your game..." that was not what the directvrules answer was.

The biggest single point in JC posts is not to make eratta in Sage - just clarify the RAW and sometimes give RAI.

Imo this latest explanation is consistent with that idea and approach. Any GM outside of AL can rule otherwise. Whether AL can is not a subject i would opine on sine i do not AL.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Then don't knock them prone; shove them 5 feet away. Now you can move away without any fear of opportunity attack (unless they have a reach weapon).

I gave up. If someone wants to view a thing as useless, we could spend a year giving them a actual play examples, and it won’t change their mind.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So all that stuff about how the dex save bonuses and zero vs half etc never, almost never, mattering etc are more universal findings, not just limited to that table/character canpaign and the folks talking about how useful those are in other games are wrong?

Hey captain strawman, that quote was not that point at all. You were replying to his dwarf escaping topic. I quoted it that way, and you quoted it that way, it all lined up as being that topic. Why are you pretending it had to do with Dex save issue when everyone can plainly see for themselves it was not?

Or is it just that the negatives are ok to extrapolate to other tables but the positives have to occur at that one table to count as a rule for this thread?

You can do both, but the quote I was replying to wasn't the point you're pretending it was. Unless you're replying to him by quoting me, in which case I think he might miss it.

5ekyu

Hero
Can't a dex character use a rapier to play sword and board?
Yes, of course, if they have proficiencies. If they chose the right style, could be getting bonus damage too.

Edit to add for inclusiveness... It mat not bea allowed or used at some tables, just like some tables may limit the feat dex benefits to once every six to seven months cuz of JC tweets and Han Shot First concerns.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Hey captain strawman, that quote was not that point at all. You were replying to his dwarf escaping topic. I quoted it that way, and you quoted it that way, it all lined up as being that topic. Why are you pretending it had to do with Dex save issue when everyone can plainly see for themselves it was not?

You can do both, but the quote I was replying to wasn't the point you're pretending it was. Unless you're replying to him by quoting me, in which case I think he might miss it.
Just to be clear... Do you know what "?" means?

Just saying i was asking you if that was the case, not "pretending" it was.

Or, are questions not allowed here unless they join the bash the tweet bandwagon?

(That is also a question)

You can contrast it to your post which makes claims and when it asked a question it was about why i did the pretend (which my question did not) and not whether i did it.

I am sure it will be more clear on rereads.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just to be clear... Do you know what "?" means?

Just saying i was asking you if that was the case, not "pretending" it was.

Or, are questions not allowed here unless they join the bash the tweet bandwagon?

(That is also a question)

You can contrast it to your post which makes claims and when it asked a question it was about why i did the pretend (which my question did not) and not whether i did it.

I am sure it will be more clear on rereads.

We both know what a rhetorical question is. Notice, that's also not a question but a statement. We both know that was not a question you were asking, but rhetorical, and also snarky. Similar to how, "Do you know what "?" means?" is both rhetorical, and snarky.

If you disagree (see - that's a question) then do please explain how the dex save stuff is in reply to the dwarf escaping stuff?

Remove ads