• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield spec. & imp defences

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Quick question folks,

Looking specifically at the ref bonus from shield spec, that hasn't been changed from a feat bonus has it? The books I've got show it doesn't stack with imp defences.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
The Compendium still says that the Reflex bonus from Shield Specialization is a feat bonus, so it won't stack with other feat bonuses such as from Improved Defenses.

mneme

Explorer
Quite. Given the current economy, I'd proabably make it "your shield bonus increases by 1" to make it work with resilient focus.

Mirtek

Hero
I don't think this feat should change, as that would enable it stack with armor specialization and these two were designed to not stack since PHB1

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I don't think this feat should change, as that would enable it stack with armor specialization and these two were designed to not stack since PHB1
I agree that the AC bonuses should not stack. The ref bonus not stacking otoh strikes me something along the lines of too-small-benefit meets the too-hard basket.

As an affected player however, this is something I want to and can fix. Done.

DracoSuave

First Post
I disagree.

You are already getting a bonus of +2 to reflexes just by having a shield.

Making Shield Spec and Imp. Defences stack is a bit much... Thats +5 to reflexes over the baseline. This is 4th ed be content with +4 and take an armor spec feat.

Or Superior Reflexes.

Ok, so it would be ok to make it at least +1/tier or just scrap it... +1 to reflex, when you are expected to have one defense boosting feat for reflex. (this way it would at least allow you to fix the hole well enough.)

Of course, we are speaking of the reflex part only!

mneme

Explorer
What UL said. Actually, making it +1 AC, +2/3/4 reflex as a feat bonus would work too; you'd be choosing this vs superior reflex, with different prereqs.

The New Standard for feat bonuses to reflex (and attack) is that they're scaling bonuses.

Remove ads