• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield Spell

Geoff Watson

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Well, that's completely different to the spell description in my first-printing PHB, so it has changed...

-Hyp.

It is also different to the spell description in my second printing PHB, so I think Mahali is making things up.

Geoff.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It is also different to the spell description in my second printing PHB, so I think Mahali is making things up.

I cant remember the rule - is that a hanging, beheading, or burning offence?

-Hyp.

Uller

Adventurer
Geoff Watson said:

Geoff.

And it is different from the SRD...not that one could expect THAT to be up-to-date...

Dagnabbit! Will the _REAL_ Shield spell please stand up!

I'm sticking with the +7 to AC and +3 to some ref saves...that's the way we've been playing it since 3e came out and it hasn't seemed broken or overly abused yet. Quite the contrary...It has allowed spell casters to risk being attacked without fear of being killed outright so they can *gasp* actually participate in the tougher encounters. We never did allow it to prevent AoOs(because at first we didn't know it should and by the time we figured that out, the Sage had expressed his opinion so we never started allowing it).

dcollins

Explorer
Mahali said:
It says it P 251 PHB.... Shield creates an invisible, mobile disk of
force that hovers in front of you. It negates magic missile attacks directed at you. The disk also intercepts attacks, providing a +7
cover bonus to to AC. Despite this bonus a shield spell does provide actual cover and does not negate attacks of opportunity
against you.

If that's true, you're the first person I've heard anywhere reporting that. It doesn't seem to say that in anyone else's copy of the PHB.

I'd love to know what printing of the book you seem to have, and if anyone else sees the same thing.

Mahali

Explorer
I copied and pasted from a PDF version of the PHB posted to the e-book.rpg newsgroup. This book says "second printing" on page 2.
The book I bought in that area just says "Based on the orignal.." and does not have anything about AoO in the Shield spell description.
Go to the book store and thumb through what's on the shelves now and see what it says.

drowdude

First Post
Mahali said:
I copied and pasted from a PDF version of the PHB posted to the e-book.rpg newsgroup. This book says "second printing" on page 2.
The book I bought in that area just says "Based on the orignal.." and does not have anything about AoO in the Shield spell description.
Go to the book store and thumb through what's on the shelves now and see what it says.

Yer PDF is wrong. (Why do you have a PDF version of the PHB in the first place?)

And since there is no 3rd printing as yet... going and thumbing through the PHBs at the local bookstore wont yield a "HEY! Mahali was right after all" result. ;)

Mahali

Explorer
drowdude said:

Yer PDF is wrong. (Why do you have a PDF version of the PHB in the first place?)

And since there is no 3rd printing as yet... going and thumbing through the PHBs at the local bookstore wont yield a "HEY! Mahali was right after all" result. ;)

The PDF is visual scan of a the PHB. On page 2 it says "Second Printing November 2000. Changes in this printing supersede previous printings of this book."
I suspect that all second printings would contain that wording. I'll try finding a second printing at a store and see what it says. Why do I have it? Because I can. 1 laptop is far more portable than 16 books.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,062

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
My second printing doesn't say that, nor is it paginated the same way - the last line at the bottom left of page 251 is "Casting Time: 1 action" from shield of faith. Mine says "three-quarters cover" in shield, though I use a cover bonus IMC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads